New Zealand locations?

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Calling NZ experts!

My family and I are visiting NZ later this year for a couple of months. I’m hoping to hire out a emtb while I’m there.

Would really appreciate any advice on good trails/areas to ride from anyone in the know? Also are the trails listed anywhere such as Trailforks or are they unlisted?

Downhill, Enduro, scenic routes all good. Bigger the hill the bigger the descent ?

btw, nicking the suggestions from the other thread too ?

Quote//The Flying Dutchman//
  1. Queenstown - Gondolas, and A-grade DH trails shaped by the gods, doesn't get any better
  2. Rotorua- You could spend 7 days in Rotorua alone! more enduro than DH focused but epic riding.
  3. Christchurch - new bike park with a chairlift - 'good' riding more groomed DH riding.
  4. Nelson: lots of riding here, might not be DH focused. more about long climbs and technical decents

BrentD

Jun 25, 2020
New Zealand
All excellent suggestions from The Flying Dutchman. I'd add Glendhu Bay and other trails in the Wanaka area (short drive from Queenstown), Alexandra (also a short drive from Queenstown). There's plenty of epic riding outside of Queenstown Bike Park in the local area too but not always with uplift such as Coronet Peak, Wynyard, Remarkables. If in the Christchurch area, the riding at Craigeburn (~one hour drive from Christchurch) is excellent and gets you in to the high country.

I could go on and on about South Island riding. It's almost as much God's personal mountain bike park as British Columbia, Canada.

You'll most likely be flying in and out of Auckland so a day at 440 Bike Park is a good outing if you have time and are in the area.

Edit: Trailforks has pretty good coverage for New Zealand trails that is reasonably up to date.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Rude rock track in Queenstown's coronet peak road is cool. only grade 2-3 but the flow & scenery is awesome. The bike park by the gondola has good range of speed, jump & techy tracks. The ride back up is pretty easy too. Didn't get a chance to ride Glendhu bay in Wanaka but heard really good things about it & will be back to try it.
Here in Nelson we have Te aro koa, 629, 660/ whareama, Aorere as good long grade 5 techy type tracks as well as plenty of shorter techy rooty types. New tracks are also going in at Cable bay adventure park but the climbs are pretty tough.
Due to the terrain & motivations of the track builders we don't really do flow tracks that well. Most shops have maps available.
I'd be interested to see how you get in though as we still have closed borders to tourists?

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
Trailforks has a pretty good listing of trails country-wide. Even down here in Dunners the majority of trail areas are shown. Enjoy the two weeks mandatory quarantine when you arrive :p

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Central North Island gives you Rotorua, Taupo & Tokoroa as far as decent sized riding areas with trails from G1 to G6. Then you have some little fire-crackers like Te Miro.
Dustbowl at Te Miro is steep, has huge bowl turns and lovely tabletop jumps. Gloworm & Phils Gold are gnarly, rooty trails that require decent skills.
Te Miro

Eskdale down Napier way is also huge.
Eskdate

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles