Mid-ride re-charging locations

smokey_jo

Patreon
Jun 28, 2018
Uk
Has anyone come across charging points suitable for mid-ride topping up or has anyone come across friendly cafe's who don't mind you plugging in whilst you have some food?

How about mentioning to cafe / pub owners about e-bikes and asking them if they would like to allow recharging (free or charged) and in return we can publicise them on here and hopefully send some extra custom their way?

Is this something we could maybe start mapping, maybe a Google Map?

In Germany and Austria I've seen that their bike parks are already gearing up with charging points for e-bikes be good to see if we can encourage the UK to do the same and take away range anxiety on longer rides.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I look over in envy at the car charging stations outside the cafe i stop for coffee at on my normal ride! Pretty sure if you do a regular ride, and are friendly with shop/cafe staff that you regularly use on the ride, that they wouldn't mind charging your battery for you if you are spending enough on Coffee's.

Maybe a business opportunity for someone who owns a cafe - spend a tenner and charge your battery!

Jun 10, 2018
United Kingdom
What I see as a barrier would be how long it takes to charge the battery. I mean mine is 3 and a half hours, I think. You’d have to take the charger in your pack as well. Stopping off for half an hour at a coffee shop wouldn’t offer much more range. I saw a thread here about charging from your car... maybe that is a more realistic use.

smokey_jo

Patreon
Jun 28, 2018
Uk
Ah not thought of that - do some chargers get quite a lot of juice in quite quickly and then slow down as it gets closer to capacity?

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
What I see as a barrier would be how long it takes to charge the battery. I mean mine is 3 and a half hours, I think. You’d have to take the charger in your pack as well. Stopping off for half an hour at a coffee shop wouldn’t offer much more range. I saw a thread here about charging from your car... maybe that is a more realistic use.
I think it's a great idea :) Even 20 minutes is better than nothing, , stop for coffee 20 mins, lunch 45 mins say an hour in total would give you at least an additional 30% charge (150 Wh). Like starting your day with a 650Wh battery (y)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
From where i live in Reigate i can get to and back from Holmbury St Marys/Peaslake are on a full charge, but not enough juice to ride the area when i get there - what i need is a place where i can keep a charged battery. Its an hour for me to get there, then i could spend 2 hours there, then an hour back.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Could you charge your bike off a car charge point with a 32-13a adapter?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles