Lifting Restrictions on Class1 EMTB riding - Mid Penninsula Open Space District.

Ron

Patreon
Sep 27, 2018
Campbell, CA USA
My friend Mark got a warning ticket for riding on a Mid Pen Open Space trail here in the San Francisco Bay Area. We are planning to petition the Mid Pen Board to lift the restriction on Class 1 on trails otherwise open to cycling. We see no real difference in the way a C1 rider uses the trails and a regular pedal power MTB uses the trails. I think these folks are just misinformed and think EMTB’s are like motorcycles with throttle power. Do any of you N Cal riders have contacts at Mid Pen Open Space or have experience going before the Board, if so we would like to talk with you and maybe enlist you to our cause. Power to the pedal!
Thanks Ron

skyfree

Aug 31, 2018
Fremont, CA USA
Hi Ron, I went to a Mid Pen board meeting back in August and spoke asking them to remove the restriction on eMTBs. You get 3-minutes which is not long at all, but the reception was warm. I was contacted after and told by one of the administrators that nothing can be done until the 2019/20 fiscal year because it costs money to do the studies or whatever they do before changing the rules. The rangers are all for changing the rules, but they don't make them -- they just have to enforce them.

They have a mountain bike email list that they use to email people before any discussion of bicycle rules at upcoming meetings. Just email them and ask to be put on it. I never received anything from it though.

You don't have to do anything but show up if you want to speak. They do ask you to sign in when you get there so they know who is speaking. Anything helps so if you are motivated please attend and advocate for our sport. Realistically I don't see anything changing any time soon, but eventually I think there is a good chance since the rangers are on board.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles