What are the eMTB speed restrictions in Europe? UK?

Oct 24, 2020
United States
Looking for info on eMTB classifications in Europe? Assuming there are set speeds at which motor stops providing assist. What are they? Who set them? Links to actual rules great appreciated.

I’m in U.S. Here bike industry established a 3-tier system: Class 1, peddle-assist only, 20 mph cut-off; Class 2, throttle-controlled, 20 mph cut-off; and Class 3, peddle-assist, 28 mph cut off. All three classes are restricted to one horsepower motors.

What’s system in Europe? Is it one for all EEC countries or separate for each country? UK part of same system?

Have always heard that speed restrictions in Europe lower than in U.S., at least for Class 1. Is that true?

Thanks.

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
The restriction in Europe is 25kmh (15.5 MPH) on power-assisted bikes.
This is set by the EU laws.

UK is now free of EU (Brexit), so they can set their own speed limit now.
And if I know UK right, they will lower this limit....which will be bad for the users in UK.

The classifications are the same as yours.

The fines are different if the police finds out.
Most country has a low fine, but France has an extreme EXTREME high fine.

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
In Switzerland it is 25kph or 45kph. Same motor, same power, it’s just that if your bike is registered and has a number plate, the motor allows 45kph. They are popular for commuting. You have to wear a helmet. As these EMTBs are classified as a motor vehicle, technically one shouldn’t take them off road. Not normally a problem as they are inevitably only designed for road riding. I’ve never seen a 45k mountain bike. In my view there would be little point. It’s hard enough to get up to 25k on most of the hills here and 25k is fine on the flat. Downhill one can go as fast as you like.

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
In Switzerland it is 25kph or 45kph. Same motor, same power, it’s just that if your bike is registered and has a number plate, the motor allows 45kph. They are popular for commuting. You have to wear a helmet. As these EMTBs are classified as a motor vehicle, technically one shouldn’t take them off road. Not normally a problem as they are inevitably only designed for road riding. I’ve never seen a 45k mountain bike. In my view there would be little point. It’s hard enough to get up to 25k on most of the hills here and 25k is fine on the flat. Downhill one can go as fast as you like.
Agreed that 25km/h limit is ok for steep terrain, but on flatlands 32 km/h makes it much easyer to keep your speed and momentum. Maybe, knowing Switzerland as a hangglider, I could say there are just not enough flatlands there so one can feel the difference 😃

Oct 24, 2020
United States
So, for the Class 1, which is the only eMTB slowly gaining access to natural surface trails in U.S., comes down to 25mph in States and 15.5 mph in Europe. Same power limits.
Thanks. Good luck in UK, although I think power beyond 15.5 is rarely used or needed on mountain bike trails.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Good luck in UK, although I think power beyond 15.5 is rarely used or needed on mountain bike trails.
It's all subjective, everyone's riding style, terrain, expectations will be different.

If you're on rough level or climbing trails, yes the terrain could present a physical limit to how fast you could pedal so you would not notice the assistance cutting out because it would not be possible to pedal that fast.

On smoother trails, you could argue that you can continue to pedal and go faster than the assistance.

There are times though when you might be on level ground or descending when you pedal to arrive at a feature with enough speed, only to find the assistance stops and you're on your own - without enough speed.

Arguably, it's irrelevant as that's what the limit is so you just make the most of it. If you search the forum there are numerous threads on the rules, regulations, arguments for and against.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles