E-bike speed restrictions (agree or disagree )

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
15 to 20 is a much bigger different than seems. It all depends on what you want out of your ride. For example if you are commuting on flat ground you are basically on the limit the whole time.

Last edited:

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
In the grand scheme of things and taking into account the inevitable recalcitrants, nope.
I dunno what to tell you man. I've bought bikes running 25km/h and been annoyed with the cut off, set it to 32km/h and been happy. Multiple times. Maybe it just suits my appetite for velocity on my local trails? I still hit the cut off but I'm not really needing to accelerate a whole lot at that point, just conserve energy & focus on keeping speed.

My last bike was Bosch and I had a volspeed that let me set literally any limit using the handlebar selector at power on. It stayed on 32.

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
did u not read the whole post? or are u trying to start s#$#@ on purpose? or are u one of those skin right wearing road bikers haha? because if u are one of those road bikers, you guys are literally the reason ppl hate bikers.
Yes I did read the whole post.

I'm not trying to start s#$#@. (though with this response of yours, pot and kettle?)

Not a road cyclist, can't stand it (boring), I don't wear Lycra hot pants. Ride dirt only, in baggies. Hopefully my choice of garments is ok with you.

Hating all road cyclists seems a bit unintelligent. But hey. You do you.
please be aware I live in Canada alberta where almost no one uses the bike paths. unlike Europe which have very busy paths. here in Calgary. city of 1.3million. I can ride home from down town , mid day and sometimes not even see a single person on the path for the entire 30km's
If it's an empty path, OK, I'm fine with that.
But from your earlier post:
...i regularly go 60-80km/hr on my ebike on city bike paths...
...i will slow down to 30-40km/hr when passing people...
You talk about slowing to 30-40 km/h when passing people. This suggests there are people present. And frankly it's not slow enough when passing people on a bike path. You probably get desensitized because you were just doing 60-80. People can get spooked by hearing the bike coming and then panic thinking they're going to jump out of the way - but jump straight into your path. This inevitably happens sometimes - I used to full time cycle commute for many years.

But you must have some sense that it's dangerous because you also said:
...if there are kids involved ill go even slower, just to be sure...
...the only 2 exceptions to this i have is passing pregnant and/or old person, ill slow right down to 10km/hr...
If it wasn't dangerous, why slow more for kids or pregnant women? Is a pregnant woman or old person more likely to suddenly jump to the side? What if a woman is walking facing away from you and only 2 months pregnant? Should she carry a sign, or maybe have a fluoro jacket with "PREGGERS" written on the back, just for you?

Last edited:

michael.kozera

New Dad ! 👶
Feb 3, 2021
calgary
If it wasn't dangerous, why slow more for kids or pregnant women? Is a pregnant woman or old person more likely to suddenly jump to the side? What if a woman is walking facing away from you and only 2 months pregnant? Should she carry a sign, or maybe have a fluoro jacket with "PREGGERS" written on the back, just for you?

yes, very, very much so.

not my problem.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
This thread is a bit of a sad read !

It goes very much out of character but I feel the need to make a sensible post 😱

Anyone reading it would possibly just conclude that seen as you can't even decide amongst yourselves, or even show any understanding towards discussion - that you do need to be regulated.

Considering you're all MTB'ers you think there would be a bit more open mindedness towards each other ?

Isn't it time to try actually discussing rather than just taking the view of "I'm right" and then picking fault with what others have written (which is open to interpretation).

Surely you all realise you each ride on completely different terrain. Have different desires from the experience. Different things that make you happy, or give you joy or excitement. Different lives which may or may not include roads or fireroads in your rides, plays, commutes.

Isn't it time to stop the preconceptions are prejudices and actually show some understanding so you can move forwards rather than just flinging insults at each other.

Just as an example, which is not intentionally directed at anyone (it's just recent in the thread). If someone says they think 15mph is fine, why would you need 20mph ? it's only 5mph difference. Maybe take a step back and think ok, yes for ME , that's the case. But imagine if that 5mph was the other way. If the assist limit was 10mph. Would I be happy then or would I WANT the limit to be closer to 15mph for MY type of riding. Would I even ride an EMTB if that 25kg lumps assistance was limited to 10mph ?

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
BIB... What did you do before you got your e-mtb? You knew the assist limit was 25kph before you bought it I presume... 🤔
What I did before getting my last eMtb was order a volspeed dongle. :)

I only buy bikes I know I can de-restrict. It's a requirement. If a manufacturer makes it de-restrict proof, I won't buy their bike.

I don't have a restricted bike and any time I have it's been very brief :)

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
Yeah sure, that's why I only buy bikes I know I can de-restrict. I don't have a restricted bike, any time I have it's been very brief :)

Fair enough, at least you have respect for other trail users unlike some others in this thread.

Personality, I'd like the option of changing the assist limit myself, having it set to 20mph all the time would just kill the battery quicker, actually 17.5mph would be just about right, for me anyway.

Overkillit

Aug 23, 2022
Downingtown
I agree with some of what your saying but the assist cut threshold is there so we dont get classed as low powered mopeds (UK)
As a cyclist we have free access to everything at least in the UK they will not alter it to go higher theres to many aresholes and do-gooders that dont like it as it is ,
Next it will be a License ,insurance ,log book with registration plate and approved helmets at minimum will be required if it went higher
Potentially Mots and lights horns etc where does it end :(
Also you will only be allowed to cycle on the road No where else a cyclist can go including trail centres, bike parks , bike lanes etc
I could go on but we all no this and the 15.5mph isnt going to change if anything they will knock it back down at least here in the UK to where it was it doesnt matter how much we go on about
And dare i say its the idiot element that will stuff it up for everyone as per usual anyway .
No argument with any of this. I live in an area where I'm not being watched too carefully and fortunately, I have the funds to add a derestricter to an already very expensive bike so the issue is not much of an issue for me. After reading your post, I'm just very thankful that a built-in speed restriction is the only restriction that we have here in my area of the US. The best part about having my Levo is that it can be fun like a dirt bike - having that extra power when needed - but also ride like a MTB and be silent so that it can be ridden anywhere - legally. Hopefully, it stays that way.

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
Fair enough, at least you have respect for other trail users unlike some others in this thread.

Personality, I'd like the option of changing the assist limit myself, having it set to 20mph all the time would just kill the battery quicker, actually 17.5mph would be just about right, for me anyway.
I did some tests on a 20mph limit vs a 28mph and saw zero impact in battery performance. This was on a mountain bike and in some instances like rolling hills with 25mph max at the bottom, actually saved power as I could keep all of my momentum VS slowing way down and then Powering up the hill.

If you are doing a constant speed effort, the faster you go the more battery you use per mile.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
I am not a Strav-hole so bare with my use of graphics to express my point of view. I also did some tests pedalling up the FSR on my way to the trails I was going to ride today. I did a little over 320m in Trail mode on the first lap and 275m on the second lap in a little over 70 minutes. The FSR is a gravel road which has an average grade of 15% grade with sections of 23% with loose rocks on it. It is a challenge to get up and a good work out. I could make it up a little faster in Turbo I suppose but I could not imagine zipping up it at 20 mph on a Full Fat bike as I think I would lose control with all the loose rocks. I am sure @Stihldog, who rides there regularly, might have something to say about the use of a Full Fat on that type of access rode. As mentioned before, I own an emtb that is more suited to go downhill than uphill. The trail down was dry but in decent shape!

Ride Route.jpg

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I am not a Strav-hole so bare with my use of graphics to express my point of view. I also did some tests pedalling up the FSR on my way to the trails I was going to ride today. I did a little over 320m in Trail mode on the first lap and 275m on the second lap in a little over 70 minutes. The FSR is a gravel road which has an average grade of 15% grade with sections of 23% with loose rocks on it. It is a challenge to get up and a good work out. I could make it up a little faster in Turbo I suppose but I could not imagine zipping up it at 20 mph on a Full Fat bike as I think I would lose control with all the loose rocks. I am sure @Stihldog, who rides there regularly, might have something to say about the use of a Full Fat on that type of access rode. As mentioned before, I own an emtb that is more suited to go downhill than uphill. The trail down was dry but in decent shape!

View attachment 95916
There’s a handful of rock garden climbs here that need perfect conditions to be ridden. Not too dry, not too wet, not too fast…or slow, stem length …we’ve all got these trails. But I can’t imagine hitting these in turbo mode, or more than 8mph. I’d be out of control. Oh…and the perfect psi and fairly new tires.👍🏻.
My neighbour’s and I privately follow each other on Strava. We’ve all agreed that the safety beacon is important since we sometimes ride solo and we can checkout each other’s route. (“For research purposes only” 😉).

I enjoy the climbs, even when the snow-shoe-hiker with ear-buds on a skidoo trail is in my way (ffs), it happens. I don’t think turbo mode would help me at all and I rarely, if ever, hit the speed assist limit. Gravity will take me home from the highest point on this (Burke) mountain.
4A252ADB-8417-4E03-9B40-80008A1DDFAE.jpeg

Winter is coming, and so is that snow-shoe’r who made me turn around and start my abreaviated decent.
But I think the restrictions are fine here in N.A.(32kmh) but kinda too low in the EU.
F6E1224A-3DFF-4CB7-9CE6-83B8A9EF2FF4.jpeg

B78CF944-4821-4E36-A175-0CAABAC4EFFB.jpeg

22A1F045-D95D-4D09-B5EB-43CA77C96D2E.jpeg

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
6FF3D88E-CD14-4CB6-B42B-420B3333E8C6.jpeg

Whoops, disregard that pic of the Fantasy Football trophy that I’ve won 3 times in the past 20 years. No eMTB’s were hurt in winning of this. I promise!
I tried to post a map of our area instead.

Tasilee

Oct 24, 2022
Tasmania
Interesting and long thread that suggests this remains a topical issue. My 5c worth. I had been looking for groups that would 'politic' for a change from 25kph to 30/32 in Australia. My reason is that I ride socially with a group who mainly do road rides using a mix of ebikes and non-ebikes. On the flat, the road bikes often average between 25-28kph and it can be a struggle to keep up on my heavy eMTB (with 2.8" tyres). Having a 30kph power cut-off would be nice. And yes, fitting narrower tyres would also work).

Kingerz

Jul 11, 2021
Australia
For mountainbiking, 25kmph is fine for me and a good balance when sharing the trails.
On roads, I think they should be able to go quite a bit faster as you reach the limit too fast whilst it still being way too dangerously slow for city traffic. 40kmph would be ok, 45 maybe BUT this should require helmet laws like in Australia.

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
I have mixed feelings about these

When I bought my bike 2nd hand the guy had a speedbox installed as he commuted to work at a hospital and it allowed him to do 30mph every morning and get there quicker than driving. Then turned it off at the weekends for a dalby blast.

I immediately took it out and sold it on ebay as I didn't like the idea, and figured it might stress the motor out too much.

A year later I'm back into autumn/winter riding and my local route is 75% bridle paths and woods, which is fun, but then coming back to the house is a 4-mile road slog which bores me to tears, and I'm always bouncing off the horrid cut-out at 15mph.

So, I kind of bought a Volspeed V4 the other week and chucked it in. I've left it at the default 20mph rather than just completely removing the limiter, and I've put it into the mode where the motor cut-off is less aggressive.
Have to say so far I really love it, 15mph when you're on a road/fire road just seems a bit too low and the way the bosch motor just snaps off means you end up pedalling at a decent cadence but constantly bouncing off the limit.

Now I can ride back home at an 80-cadence doing 17/18mph without hitting the limit and it just feels a lot more like a normal bike. I've stopped thinking it's stressing the motor too considering these bikes sold in the US have a 20mph limit out the box.

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
A year later I'm back into autumn/winter riding and my local route is 75% bridle paths and woods, which is fun, but then coming back to the house is a 4-mile road slog which bores me to tears, and I'm always bouncing off the horrid cut-out at 15mph.

So, I kind of bought a Volspeed V4 the other week and chucked it in. I've left it at the default 20mph rather than just completely removing the limiter, and I've put it into the mode where the motor cut-off is less aggressive.
+1, your use case is very similar to mine, and I was on the fence for a long while too for some similar reasons - do I really need 20+mph on a bicycle? But yeah, in the end the road ride to and from my local country park won me over. Like you, I have left it on the 19.8mph setting too.

But I do feel that with the option of extra speed comes the necessity for extra self control. I would never hammer through any off road areas at more than 15mph when people are around. Even to the uninitiated, a bike whizzing past them on a trail at 20+ mph feels a lot more offensive than one doing 10 or even 15. I think it's down to all of us to be sensible and considerate to others, and I certainly wouldn't want to be held responsible for bringing the hammer down on myself or other MTB'ers. Using it according to the surroundings is a general rule I go by 👍

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey

I disagree, I’ve derestricted mine and haven’t noticed I’m not getting the same mileage. On the trails I ride I might only go over the original cutoff a few times and when I do it just mines I can coast for longer instead of pedalling. Most Uk single track trails slow you down anyway .

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
+1, your use case is very similar to mine, and I was on the fence for a long while too for some similar reasons - do I really need 20+mph on a bicycle? But yeah, in the end the road ride to and from my local country park won me over. Like you, I have left it on the 19.8mph setting too.

But I do feel that with the option of extra speed comes the necessity for extra self control. I would never hammer through any off road areas at more than 15mph when people are around. Even to the uninitiated, a bike whizzing past them on a trail at 20+ mph feels a lot more offensive than one doing 10 or even 15. I think it's down to all of us to be sensible and considerate to others, and I certainly wouldn't want to be held responsible for bringing the hammer down on myself or other MTB'ers. Using it according to the surroundings is a general rule I go by 👍

100% mines off for the fun stuff and on for the boring road ride where I’d rather be going quicker and not holding cars up.

Even at 15mph a 22kg ebike hooning towards dog walker is more than enough to scare a lot of people

Dago

Dec 5, 2020
Michigan
I disagree, I’ve derestricted mine and haven’t noticed I’m not getting the same mileage. On the trails I ride I might only go over the original cutoff a few times and when I do it just mines I can coast for longer instead of pedalling. Most Uk single track trails slow you down anyway .
On a regular analog MTB bike many times I traveled over 20mph, single track. But I also ride motorcycles. When I first began riding EMTB could not believe that it would cut out at worst moments. Then i bought a brand new 2019 Kenevo, and derestricted first thing. Rode it hard until June 2022 . The motor was perfect no issues-a truly amazing record as everyone knows those earlier Brose blew out . My new Levo to replace it, derestricted that as well. So much better. Have fun out there!

Frank_Denmark

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Dec 17, 2018
Denmark
The Brose motors are used in heavy cargo bikes and Speed Pedelec with 45 km/h top speed.
Same motor and with the exact same weight.

My first Levo 2018 was deresticted day one - The 1.3 Brose motor lasted almost 10,000 km.

New 2022 Levo was only deresticted after 2,000 km - Lasted only 3,400 km.
Broke down at only 6 km/h near the top of Fernpass...

The deresticted bikes feels much more alive in the flat part of the trails.
And I can travel with the same speed as my mates with analog bike.

Go for bikespeed - tuning for your pedelec or e-bike
The chip can be switch on and off by the remote - AND shows real speed and distance.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
My first eMTB came with the 20kph (15mph) restriction - if the dealer had not bumped it to 32lph (25mph) he would have had a returned bike on his hands as "Not fit for purpose." Hell, I was 60 then and the only trails I was quicker on the eMTB were those with lots of climbing. Many of the trails it took me a long while to equal the times I did on my Singlespeed - forget about my carbon race bike.
Anyways, back onto topic - when my bike was switched from 25kph to 32kph I actually gained slightly better battery life as it allowed me to pedal at a cadence that was much more efficient for me.

John_A

Sep 26, 2022
UK
"Cycling speed limits were introduced at the beginning of the 20th century, and were set at 20 miles per hour. Once this limit became the subject of frequent breaches, it was increased to 30 miles per hour. Since that date there have been no changes to make cyclists stick to the same regulations"

Seems daft that ebikes should have a lower limit than non-bikes

To me 20mph on cycle paths and 30mph on roads or the max speed limit for the road if less than 30mph would be sensible.

For most people 20 is fast enough to commute and make having an ebike worthwhile so you get where you're going quicker than a normal bike.

michael.kozera

New Dad ! 👶
Feb 3, 2021
calgary
if my e mtb can't do at least 50 then it's not an ebike....

I regularly hit 60-70kmhr and just the thought of only being able to go 30 is down right clown world.

michael.kozera

New Dad ! 👶
Feb 3, 2021
calgary
Thats what brakes are for ,and using common sence and politeness
For me limiting the speed on a ebike is just the nanny state
i 100% agree.

in fact all the ebike I have or built I have upgraded the brakes to larger rotors and/or more powerful brakes.

there is a reason faster cars have larger brakes!!

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
Thats what brakes are for ,and using common sence and politeness
For me limiting the speed on a ebike is just the nanny state

You say that until you come across a 60+ year old walking a tiny dog on a bike only section of Dalby red route. Blind turn in the woods, middle of the track lol

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles