E-bike speed restrictions (agree or disagree )

Jag009

Sep 9, 2022
Loch lomond
You say that until you come across a 60+ year old walking a tiny dog on a bike only section of Dalby red route. Blind turn in the woods, middle of the track lol
LOL :ROFLMAO:.......... In that scenario all bets are off you get 50 points for the old biddy 100 points for the wee yappy dog ,and if you can do that while catching some sick air you get a 2x bonus points multiplier and a power up speed bonus :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
LOL :ROFLMAO:.......... In that scenario all bets are off you get 50 points for the old biddy 100 points for the wee yappy dog ,and if you can do that while catching some sick air you get a 2x bonus points multiplier and a power up speed bonus :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
What about that jogger wearing a white sweat band and ear-buds running up a bike trail. I almost got one once. It was close to game over for me but eye protection allowed me to finish. 🤓 It seemed to pop out of nowhere.

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
We don't all ride in the same environment. I've got one bike that I've had to 60 MPH on motor alone (yes nearly 100kmh). There are plenty of places in the open desert near me where 25-40 MPH is just fine (insane to the rider, but not a danger to others). We don't artificially limit cars. Which of course, is a potential argument that maybe we should, as the road is full of idiots.

The e-bike legal idiocy is much like another hobby; radio control aircraft. Drones. The entirety of law on that is sheer idiocy. Sometimes, I carry my drone on my illegal 5kw e-bike...oh no.

Streddaz

Jul 7, 2022
Tasmania
We don't all ride in the same environment. I've got one bike that I've had to 60 MPH on motor alone (yes nearly 100kmh). There are plenty of places in the open desert near me where 25-40 MPH is just fine (insane to the rider, but not a danger to others). We don't artificially limit cars. Which of course, is a potential argument that maybe we should, as the road is full of idiots.

The e-bike legal idiocy is much like another hobby; radio control aircraft. Drones. The entirety of law on that is sheer idiocy. Sometimes, I carry my drone on my illegal 5kw e-bike...oh no.
I think you will find that most modern cars are speed limited, all be it well above any road speed limit. ;)
The limit comes from urban usage of Ebikes and has been blanket enforced onto all bikes. Really there should be an "off road use only" version that can only be used outside urban areas but that would again be difficult as a lot of people would also ride their bike from their home to any trails. Drones, I can see the need to stop anyone from flying them anywhere they want. Unfortunately, it's always a small minority that do the wrong thing that make these laws come into existence. Like if no one ever rode their bike dangerously on the street in the past, no one would have ever thought of needing to limit them.

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
it's always a small minority that do the wrong thing that make these laws come into existence. Like if no one ever rode their bike dangerously on the street in the past, no one would have ever thought of needing to limit them.

Thats the problem. Humans are simply shit and cannot be trusted. The ratio of self-centred Shit Humans Vs Decent Humans will always be skewed too far in the shit direction. And it's getting worse IMO.

Re cars not being limited to the road speed, personally I think it's only a matter of time. I certainly wouldn't be surprised if it started off at urban speeds (20~30mph) with self-limiting cars, maybe triggered by roadside transducers.

Theres only so long the authorities will be prepared to enable the Shit Humans to do 70mph in a 30 limit.

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
It's already happened in the UK

The new 2022 laws state
All new cars are to be fitted with speed limiters from July 2022 to improve road safety.

They have to have a camera system which reads speed limit signs and automatically applies a speed limit relevant to the zone you're in :)

Most people don't follow new car laws

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William

The new 2022 laws state

They have to have a camera system which reads speed limit signs and automatically applies a speed limit relevant to the zone you're in :)

Just like the E-bike speed limiter car speed limiters is an EU law that the UK is choosing to follow. What was the point of Brexit if you’re still going to follow laws set by the EU?!? Anyway, my wife’s new EQC came with that ISA system, you can turn if off in the settings though so it’s up to you if you choose to use it or not.

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
if my e mtb can't do at least 50 then it's not an ebike....

I regularly hit 60-70kmhr and just the thought of only being able to go 30 is down right clown world.
Your right 100%
But it's not an ebike is it it's a pedelec and classed as a push bike which is why the assist limit is there no more no less

It does seem many here want an electric moped but don't want to pay for the privilege

What will happen is eventually the lot will be banned and even low assist will become illegal if people are not careful

I don't want that happening

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
Thats what brakes are for ,and using common sence and politeness
For me limiting the speed on a ebike is just the nanny state
You have nailed it quite frankly "common sense and politeness"
That is getting a very rare thing these days.
But it's not a speed limit its an assist limit you can peddle as fast as you like again the assist limit is why the pedelec is treated as a normal push bike.
one more point before i get flamed

Does everyone who wants more assist speed mind paying for insurance having a licence, registration plus number plate and getting an MOT every year oh and wearing a proper motorbike helmet lets not forget that
Also no access to trails, bike parks or even a simple cycle lane and that's just for starters.

It doesn't matter if you agree with it or not it is what it is.

Last edited:

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
Thats the problem. Humans are simply shit and cannot be trusted. The ratio of self-centred Shit Humans Vs Decent Humans will always be skewed too far in the shit direction.

That's a terrible headspace to live in. I'm confident it's the opposite. Confirmation bias makes the assholes stand out. There's a convo over on the Smart Car forums now (I own one) about how many people act out against Smarts for some reason. I simply don't see it. But if you live in that mindframe you'll probably see things that are just stupidity. Like riding a motorcycle or bicycle in traffic; they don't see us (or the tiny Smarts).

They have to have a camera system which reads speed limit signs and automatically applies a speed limit relevant to the zone you're in

My Tesla does this when it's driving itself. So it's not a stretch that the ability could be forced.

Bottom line of all this is that I'll waste a few hundred dollars to remove an artificial limit on my bike. It sucks. It's wasteful since I need hardware that I otherwise wouldn't. Or I can drive the bike 370 miles away to have a dealer do it.

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
Just like the E-bike speed limiter car speed limiters is an EU law that the UK is choosing to follow. What was the point of Brexit if you’re still going to follow laws set by the EU?!? Anyway, my wife’s new EQC came with that ISA system, you can turn if off in the settings though so it’s up to you if you choose to use it or not.

We got exactly what we asked for - a government that still follows EU legislation, and a country in economic collapse ;)
I'm honestly gobsmacked anyone expected any different, shows what you can do by painting some bullshit on a few buses :D

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks

The new 2022 laws state

Mate has bought a new leccie car with the camera speed system on. A local garden centre has a 20mph sign on their gate entrance which has slightly turned outward towards the road, which totally pisses him off as it slows his car down for a few miles to 20mph.

I haven't told him yet that he can turn it off :)

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
That's a terrible headspace to live in. I'm confident it's the opposite.

I base my opinion on the 50 years experience I have living on this planet. IMO, people were far more polite, caring and more willing to think of others when I was in my late teens/20's and it has progressively worsened since then. Especially with regards to helping someone out - back in the day even those with very little would help out those with nothing. Whole streets would be friends. The phrase 'my door was always open' wasn't floured up, it was real. Now theres far more 'me, me, look at me' and importance on self gratification, fuelled by social media of course. Waaay more narcissism these days. But if you personally don't see, thats cool.

There's a convo over on the Smart Car forums now (I own one) about how many people act out against Smarts for some reason. I simply don't see it.

I drive a Smart car daily and unequivocally, without any doubt, people drive like utter *unts around me when I'm in it compared to my wifes 7 seater. I get waaay more people diving in front of me, pulling out on me (presumably because they think I'm going slow) and generally acting like utter bellends around me. I even had a truck driver give me some gob once and he stated during his rant 'take yer shitty smart car and...' so he even took on board it was a smart car. (He got royally fuc*ked by his employer btw when I showed them my dashcam footage). The same thing happened albeit to a slightly lesser degree in my Aygo too.

Get back in the wifes car, drive it in exactly the same manner...it all stops. Had no issues in my Lexus GS300 or Supra either.

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
Disagree. It's all about potential harm to others. A drone over a crowd is a risk to those in the crowd. As for ebikes, Kinetic energy increases at the square of speed. At 30 mph you have four times the energy than an 15 mph. Bicycles, including ebikes, are very lightly regulated and can be ridden by anyone because they have very limited potential to cause serious harm to others. At 30 mph that's no longer true, at 50 mph even more so, and that's before we consider whether bicycle brakes are up to the job (DH bike brakes probably are, but are they commonly fitted and maintained?).

We require moped riders to have some training and hold insurance. We additionally require motorbike riders to have a full license. Both mopeds and motorcycles have an MOT regime to try and encourage them to be somewhat well maintained. Irresponsible riders can lose their right to use their license. If ebikes are to do much more than 20 mph (a much better limit than 15.5 IMO) then the requirements should increase as you can do a lot more harm to others.

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
Fact remains if it was 32km/h, I wouldn't derestrict. I really think a lot of people will derestrict to much higher than 32 because they're having to bother desrestricting. The people who are abusing it, aren't stopped by the limiter.

If the manufacturer left the door open so I could switch to NZ or US mode and get 32, that would suit me. My bike with the original E8000 let me do that with my phone. Good enough.

But of course, there's absolutely no chance they'll lift the speed limit here in AUS, the nanny state. We can't even legally ride to the corner shop without a helmet.
I am from NZ. Rotorua to be precise and 32 is too slow for a lot of the trails here. I am derestricted an suggest 40 would be the sweet spot

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
Speed restrictions on e-bikes should be adjustable. Cars on the road are capable of much higher speeds than we drive them.

I personally think that riding on the road at 15 mph is more dangerous to other road users than doing 20-25 mph and blending better in the traffic.

Once I am off-road, speed is no longer a constraint, my skills are the limiting factor.

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
maybe one day they limit it by GPS zoning and let people at least keep up with traffic in urban areas.
It seems the motor manufactures are starting to use GPS to measure speed and beat derestriction attempts now anyway.
so it wouldn't be a big leap hardware wise.
You'd think it makes sense to raise the limit. 15.5mph makes people want to use pavements for commuting on roads not really suited for cycling.

20-25mph would give people more confidence to just drive in the centre of the lane because a car is going to hate you a lot less and might be more patient

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
maybe one day they limit it by GPS zoning and let people at least keep up with traffic in urban areas.
It seems the motor manufactures are starting to use GPS to measure speed and beat derestriction attempts now anyway.
so it wouldn't be a big leap hardware wise.
You'd think it makes sense to raise the limit. 15.5mph makes people want to use pavements for commuting on roads not really suited for cycling.

20-25mph would give people more confidence to just drive in the centre of the lane because a car is going to hate you a lot less and might be more patient
I had heard that it was illegal for manufacturers to use your GPS data, is this not true?

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
I Google and got this

Screenshot_20230313-181010_Google.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles