E-bikes for trail riding in the lake district

ranaman

Apr 28, 2020
Coniston
Hi all, I am looking for some advice from all you lovely people. I have an old full sus giant mountian bike that I have used for the last 10 years but never really loved it. My wife has an old Trek hardtail both 26ers. I recently borrowed a cube reaction pro 29er e-bike and it put a smile on my face that I couldn't wipe off. We now both want to upgrade to e-bikes to flatten out all the hills around here (lake district) asI think we would use them a lot more. I will keep to my nomal mtb for doing any trail centre downhill rides as all my fiends are still refusing to make the e switch. So basically I am looking for 2 bikes that will have decent range for mainly xc trail riding, we have a 3 year old that would need to go on a seat on the back of mine too. Budget of around £2k each. So far I was looking at the cube reaction, turbo levo HT or e-sentier. Am I on the right lines? Please let me know what you think? Thanks in advance!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Well whilst a lot of money, 2k is pretty tight, and as you list out you will be looking at hardtails.

Of the ones you listed, the E-Sentier is the best bike in terms of geometry and design that is geared towards proper trail riding, and probably has the best bang for your buck spec wise depending on version

I would also recommend the Voodoo Bizango hardtail from Halfords - now I know that they might not be the coolest brand, but for £2199 you are getting the full fat E8000 motor (e7000 on the vitus) and a good spec, although it does have the smaller 418wh battery.

Voodoo Bizango-E Shimano Electric Mountain Bike - 17", 19", 21" Frames | Halfords UK

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Basically you are in the same position as us about 9 months ago.
We had 2 ordinary hardtails from Halfords for 3 years or so but were not really excited by them and never used them in winter (or summer for that matter)
Got overtaken one day by an elderly couple carrying their shopping and ringing their bell at us to get out of the way. From that moment onwards I wanted revenge!! And suddenly became obsessed with e-bikes.

Went to Evans and tried out a couple of 2019 Reaction hybrids for half and hour and We then realised we had to have them but would wait a year because the new gen 4 motor was coming out. We also hired out 2 Reaction pro 500 bikes for a whole day and we loved them.

However, as soon as the 2020 gen 4 prices were released the price of the 2019 bikes dropped through the floor. The wife’s Access Hybrid Pro 500 was reduced to £1600 so that swayed our decision to get the 2019 bikes and not waste a further half a year for delivery / release of the new 2020 bikes.

After 9 months we don’t regret our decision. These bikes have revolutionised our lives in sun, rain, mud, we love them.

I will say one thing however which is worth bearing in mind. As you ride these bikes you will acquire new skills and want to tackle tougher terrain. Riding on flat surfaces just won’t be as exciting once you hit rougher stuff. You may start to wonder and think about a full suspension bike as I am doing now. But reflecting on things I’m glad I got the hardtail first. I’ve learned so much in these 9 months and much is all to do with the great help and advice from this forum.

All the best and good luck!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles