Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
Tragedy strikes as mountain biker dies in accident

By Richard Mcallister Reporter

Coniston Mountain Rescue Team

Coniston Mountain Rescue Team

THE AIR ambulance service was unable to save a mountain biker who died in a Lakeland accident.
The incident was called in at 2.31pm on Sunday when the biker was going down the Walna Scar track, near Coniston, on Sunday.
Two air ambulances attended, and 12 members of the Coniston Mountain Rescue Team were also at the scene for three hours.
A spokesman for the team said: "It was a sunny and busy day on the fells and an experienced group of mountain bikers was descending the Walna Scar track when one of them had an accident.

"Two air ambulances attended but unfortunately the doctors and paramedics were unable to save him.
"North West Ambulance Service tasked us with bringing him down to the village on our stretcher for liaison with police and other relevant authorities.
"Our thoughts are with his family and friends."

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Taken from grough — Lakeland mountain biker dies after incident on Walna Scar track

James Lamb
15 July 2020
Im afraid that this report is not accurate, the mountain biker in question was my Uncle and my brother and close friends were with him at the time. He did not crash as this article states, he collapsed due to a heart condition that we were all unaware of and could not be revived despite the best efforts of the emergency services and members of the public.
Bob
15 July 2020
James, I'm sorry to hear you've lost your uncle in such circumstances. The report is based on information from the mountain rescue team, who said one of the group 'had an accident'. Walna Scar track
I've amended the story in the light of your comment.

Rhfinnjr

May 30, 2020
Reno, NV
Taken from grough — Lakeland mountain biker dies after incident on Walna Scar track

James Lamb
15 July 2020
Im afraid that this report is not accurate, the mountain biker in question was my Uncle and my brother and close friends were with him at the time. He did not crash as this article states, he collapsed due to a heart condition that we were all unaware of and could not be revived despite the best efforts of the emergency services and members of the public.
Bob
15 July 2020
James, I'm sorry to hear you've lost your uncle in such circumstances. The report is based on information from the mountain rescue team, who said one of the group 'had an accident'. Walna Scar track
I've amended the story in the light of your comment.
James,
Sorry for your loss. But if I have a choice of how to go, it would be doing something I love. Condolences.

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
James,
Sorry for your loss. But if I have a choice of how to go, it would be doing something I love. Condolences.
If James uncle was aware of his condition, he would have been well aware his heart could conk out at any time. Sad, but you are quite right Rhfinnjr, most of us would prefer to go doing what we enjoy, even better if we are doing it with family or friends.
I have advanced coronary artery disease, and I'm well aware my ticker could throw up its hands at any time, but if I fall off the perch on the trail one day, my family and friends know I have croaked doing something I loved.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
I would rather go later in life doing something boring than earlier doing something I love !

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
Well #lazy, at 75 years of age, I have had a pretty full on life. Firstly played rugby from 5 - 34 years of age, golf from 30-72, and road and mountain biking from 65 until the present. Also fitted in happy wife, three children, 5 grandchildren and one great grandchild over 49 of those years. Loved it all, and I love my family to bits.. No intention of doing something boring on the off chance I may live longer. I reckon if I slow down now, maybe my body may slow down as well. Bugger that!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles