New Zealand riders

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Have been asked by several people in New Zealand if I knew of any ebike specific rides - especially group or adventure rides.
The answer is no. However .....

I have been thinking about organising a few of them - especially now Summer is coming to us down here.

Some of the ideas I have thought of are:

Tree Trunk Gorge & Pillars of Hercules - with the return along the Tongariro river to Turangi. This is about 17km for the first two then about 20-25km heading back to Turangi.

The 42nd Traverse - from the top on SH 47 down to Owhango. This is 46 kilometers of some totally outstanding mountain country riding with amazing vistas.

Thompson's Track - Haven't been over this in 30-40 years but it I am told it is still popular with mountainbikers as well as walkers. Known far and wide for being a 4WD playground. Around 18-20 kms from the Katikati side across.

Pureora Forest Timber Trail - Around 40km from Pureora down to Ongarue. Park at Ongarue then shuttle up to Pureora fof the start. Stop at Piropiro Flat for lunch before continuing on.

Except for the Timber Trail where we use a shuttle service to take us up to Pureora, these rides will require transport planning as they are point to point rides.

One suggested to me was my 46km loop at Rotovegas.
Tahi, Creek, Mad if you Don't, Puarenga, Yellow Brick Road, some X Country, Pondy New/Roller Coaster, Moonshine, Chinese Menu, Bunny Jugs, Old Chevy, Larch Road, bottom of Be Rude Not To, Lion Trail, Turkish Delight, Alpha, Roadside Challenge, Dipper, Rosebank. A mix of tracks with about 700M climbing.

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
The tracks around Lake Taupo are good too. Meanwhile in the South Island, the Queen Charlotte track is a varied 70k over one/two/three days depending on your battery/range. Not too intrepid as it has bars/hotels along the way for recharging (and beer).

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
The tracks around Lake Taupo are good too.
Usually do W2K with a lunch and beer stop at Kinloch the day after Tree Trunk Gorge or The 42nd traverse. Find a nice holiday home somewhere and have a curry night in Taupo between.
Sadly our many use holiday home was sold a could years ago - slept 16 or 17 and was an awesome base.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles