Mastermind TCU to TCU 1

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
I’m looking at downgrading from the mastermind TCU to the TCU 1. Is it plug and play or is there anything specific that needs to be done?

LonelyBiker24

Mar 20, 2024
Romania
Hello,

Has anyone realy tried meanwhile to swap MasterMind TCU with older TCU1 on newer bikes ?
I'm curios if it's realy possible . Because in case the new one dies and bike is out of warranty , one solution would be to put TCU1 because it's cheaper and easyer to find.

Thanks!

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
I was planning to do this just so I could get rid of the cable going to the controller on the bars. I never actually did it as I’m planning to eventually sell the Levo. This is where I got the idea from.

LonelyBiker24

Mar 20, 2024
Romania
Thanks a lot Ou812 for your reply. So it's clear now this is possible.
Now the question is : Did he change the firmware of the motor and/or battery in order to be able to communicate with the older TCU ? Or it's just a straight job. Pop-out the MasterMind , pop-in the old TCU1 .
If anyone knows please leave an answer here.
Thanks !

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
Thanks a lot Ou812 for your reply. So it's clear now this is possible.
Now the question is : Did he change the firmware of the motor and/or battery in order to be able to communicate with the older TCU ? Or it's just a straight job. Pop-out the MasterMind , pop-in the old TCU1 .
If anyone knows please leave an answer here.
Thanks !
I was told it was a straight swap but never did it. You can get the current Levo with the old TCU, it’s on the cheapest model so there’s no issues with firmware, you just update it the same as you would the mastermind TCU.

Jersey Skier

May 12, 2019
NJ, USA
Yes. I did the downgrade and installed an old style TCU on my Gen 3 Levo Pro so I can still use Blevo. I did have to do an update on Turbo Studio in the shop to get it to work.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles