Other Mastermind (TCU 2) "How to" guides

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
The New TCU is here. I was going to try to grab video sections and take screen prints, but I've just found these which make a perfect thread start.

These are all really short and clear, so even if you have the attention span of a goldfish like me, they're all watchable in a couple of minutes.

Link to "Can I use it with my OLD LEVO/KENEVO/SL" :

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Turbo button replaced with "F1" button...0/10, totally unusable...
You think ?? I'd guess from all the previous comments that 99% of people never use the turbo button as you're only ever a maximum of two "+" presses from Turbo. If I'm desperate I just press "+" 27 times in a desperate attempt to find Super Turbo mode :p Normally though, its like a car with gears or the bike gears - you just know which one you're in anyway - its a sort of subconscious thing isn't it ?

A general theme is always "Why doesn't Spesh do something useful with the Turbo button".

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
I wouldn't know, I only ride Turbo so I just turn the bike on and press that button. Sometimes I press the button again a few times while riding, just to be sure :)

(but seriously, I was just joking, I'm sure it's a pretty useless button for most people)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I wouldn't know, I only ride Turbo so I just turn the bike on and press that button. Sometimes I press the button again a few times while riding, just to be sure :)

(but seriously, I was just joking, I'm sure it's a pretty useless button for most people)
I'm on a 1.3. When you turn it on, it starts in whatever mode was in use last.

If you re-charge the bike it starts in TURBO ... Its like its suggesting you should only ride in T U R B O ? ? ?

Mtbvkk

Feb 21, 2020
Seattle, wa
Love all the humor but on a serious note which car will I need to trade in if I want to buy just the mastermind TCU? Anyone know the cost of it?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Love all the humor but on a serious note which car will I need to trade in if I want to buy just the mastermind TCU? Anyone know the cost of it?
Apparently, it won't be offered as an upgrade at present. I'm guessing this is down to the global semi-conductor shortage, so they can probably only get enough for new bikes at the moment.

Hopefully, they'll offer it as an upgrade at some point. It would be a great way to make more money from existing owners from their side, and for existing owners, who aren't ready for a new bike yet, to upgrade some core features (other than brakes, suspension, gears, wheels and so on).

Mtbvkk

Feb 21, 2020
Seattle, wa
Apparently, it won't be offered as an upgrade at present. I'm guessing this is down to the global semi-conductor shortage, so they can probably only get enough for new bikes at the moment.

Hopefully, they'll offer it as an upgrade at some point. It would be a great way to make more money from existing owners from their side, and for existing owners, who aren't ready for a new bike yet, to upgrade some core features (other than brakes, suspension, gears, wheels and so on).

I sent a message into support to make these available once supply chain issues are resolved. I figure the more they hear from people it’s desirable on existing models the more likely they are to make it happen. I suggest anyone interested do the same

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
I sent a message into support to make these available once supply chain issues are resolved. I figure the more they hear from people it’s desirable on existing models the more likely they are to make it happen. I suggest anyone interested do the same

Hi @Mtbvkk - thanks for the question. We knew this one would come pretty soon, we understand that some existing owners of Levo/Kenevo 2 are excited to hear about the new Mastermind TCU and would love to upgrade their TCU. At launch of the new 2022 Levo we regret this won’t be possible, the Mastermind TCU is available exclusively with new Levo bikes only. Whilst we’ll review this decision periodically, retailers will not have access to the Mastermind TCU2 other than to support Levo 3 bikes requiring service.

Spot on @Zimmerframe - supplies of a bunch of core parts are constrained for the foreseeable future. We know existing Levo/Kenevo owners are interested in upgrading but this is going to be the situation for some time. Sorry!

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Hi @Mtbvkk - thanks for the question. We knew this one would come pretty soon, we understand that some existing owners of Levo/Kenevo 2 are excited to hear about the new Mastermind TCU and would love to upgrade their TCU. At launch of the new 2022 Levo we regret this won’t be possible, the Mastermind TCU is available exclusively with new Levo bikes at S-Works & Pro specification only. Whilst we’ll review this decision periodically, retailers will not have access to the Mastermind TCU2 other than to support Levo 3 bikes requiring service.

Spot on @Zimmerframe - supplies of a bunch of core parts are constrained for the foreseeable future. We know existing Levo/Kenevo owners are interested in upgrading but this is going to be the situation for some time. Sorry!
So the Mastermind TCU won't be available on the Expert, or any other forthcoming cheaper models? S-Works and Pro only?

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
So the Mastermind TCU won't be available on the Expert, or any other forthcoming cheaper models? S-Works and Pro only?
@R120 - sorry, have corrected my unhelpful wording above. S-Works and Pro models are the only ones available at launch, Mastermind TCU is standard equipment on the Expert also.

Last edited:

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
'We need enough Mastermind TCUs to cover the expected warranty claims for owners of the new Levo bikes at S-Works & Pro' :unsure: :ROFLMAO:

Thanks @Jackware but don't worry. It's being kept at a very secure location.

1616694589608.png

Mtbvkk

Feb 21, 2020
Seattle, wa
Hi @Mtbvkk - thanks for the question. We knew this one would come pretty soon, we understand that some existing owners of Levo/Kenevo 2 are excited to hear about the new Mastermind TCU and would love to upgrade their TCU. At launch of the new 2022 Levo we regret this won’t be possible, the Mastermind TCU is available exclusively with new Levo bikes only. Whilst we’ll review this decision periodically, retailers will not have access to the Mastermind TCU2 other than to support Levo 3 bikes requiring service.

@Specialized Rider Care.

thanks for responding.

While I understand current supply constraints completely and lack of availabilty for a period of time, Specialized supporting recent year models for a period of time will go a long way towards ensuring trust with customers especially at these prices of entry we commit to. I think most of us are empathetic to the ravages of covid on global supply. But that will change and it will be good to see specialized not drop recent models in their design and rollout of new features. Im reassured that the new tcu is backwards compatible. My last months purchase should be as important as this months to you in normal non-covid supply times ( I just bought an s-works frame a few weeks ago as an example ) and we as customers would like to see that commitment when we pay full price for your bikes.

Having said that, you did’nt mention the SL above but my understanding is that the tcu is the same between the sl And levo and reports elsewhere mention SL also. So will the mastermind work with the SL?

Loe Rider

Oct 26, 2020
Kernow
Well I was all excited about the mastermind TCU upgrade until a mate pointed out the big flaw..... we'd need to put our reading glasses on (we're gentlemen of a certain age) to read it. That's a no go riding along.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Well I was all excited about the mastermind TCU upgrade until a mate pointed out the big flaw..... we'd need to put our reading glasses on (we're gentlemen of a certain age) to read it. That's a no go riding along.
There is a big font mode! If you can’t see this I think any display will be an issue ?

E4F98475-B58C-436A-8AE3-E35C10B5B648.jpeg

chamaruco

Inactive Member
Dec 28, 2020
Arezzo
There is a big font mode! If you can’t see this I think any display will be an issue ?

View attachment 56850
Rob must be honest, it's a good starting point to integrate electronics and frame, but if the target is expand the usage of a bike to aged like me (47) we must admit that to know how much battery is there, i need to stop the bike or point my eyes on the screen and trying to read something. Even the app has an useless font. I can read just numbers.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles