Other Mastermind (TCU 2) "How to" guides

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
I just ordered TCU 2 (Mastermind) for my 2021 Levo with 2.2 motor.
Will Mastermind still work with my Gen 2 Levo? Anyone is using it on older Levos?
thanks in advance!
AFAIK Specialized said future updates will make TCU2 incompatible with Gen2 bikes/motors, not sure from which update this will/has happen ...

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
AFAIK Specialized said future updates will make TCU2 incompatible with Gen2 bikes/motors, not sure from which update this will/has happen ...
Not sure how the system will ‘know’ it’s a gen 2 or gen 3 bike?

AFAIK they both share the same motor hardware, batteries and controllers, and now some of the Gen3’s even have the original TCU.

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
Not sure how the system will ‘know’ it’s a gen 2 or gen 3 bike?

AFAIK they both share the same motor hardware, batteries and controllers, and now some of the Gen3’s even have the original TCU.
It's pretty safe to assume that the Brose 2.2 motor will report its version number somewhere in the communication protocol to the Mastermind. Doesn't mean it couldn't be hacked. Doesn't mean you couldn't keep using the Mastermind with older firmware.

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
How do you get a Garmin Edge to show rider power from the TCU2? So far I have cadence and speed working fine, but haven't been able to find a power field that reads from TCU2.

beutelfuchs

Aug 11, 2019
Barcelona
Look for "data field -> Power -> 3s Power".
If that doesn't show data, check under Sensors that the power sensor of that bike is connected (bike needs to be on for that of course). If not, trigger a sensor search

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
Look for "data field -> Power -> 3s Power".
If that doesn't show data, check under Sensors that the power sensor of that bike is connected (bike needs to be on for that of course). If not, trigger a sensor search
Looks like the first time I did a sensor search the sensor for power didn't appear on the list of available sensors. I figured it may have been under the generic-sounding "ebike" sensor, but apparently not. It's linked up now and will give it a test ASAP.

1Nixxxo

Nov 29, 2019
Russia
Me and my friend just received two Matermind TCUs for SL and 2021 levo with 2.2 motor...

It doesn't work on both bikes, latest firmware. Dealer software didn't help either, just keeps showing something like Device is not compatible:(

Any ideas apart from the official Specialized statement?)
Maybe there's a hack of way around? We don't have S Works 2022 at hand, but maybe it's show up in sometime and we'll try activate MM using it...

Mydriaze

Jul 7, 2019
France
I'm about to pull the trigger for a Turbo Levo Alloy Comp 2022 (I didn't think about the WAF to be honest), can I upgrade the TCU to the TCU2?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Thanks for your reply! Well... didn't think about availability to be honest...
Doc, it's generally not available. With chip shortages they only spec them on some bikes and with more chip shortages due, that might have more effect based on stock and what they pre-ordered. Though could go the other way and only masterminds are available ... who knows ... :)

Mydriaze

Jul 7, 2019
France
I keep my finger crossed... Perhaps many people will ask for Alloy frame but because they can't provide us this frames they will give me S-Works bike for the price of an entry level one! That's a good strategy, never thought in this way :)

BlueThunder

Mar 13, 2022
Germany
Hi

I‘ve a Turbo Levo Comp 20 with Mastermind n luv it:)
Before
6E9C3F02-D1E2-44DC-A893-F193D0EDA417.jpeg

Now
4CF3725D-A520-49A1-A199-0C5DFDC23E0C.jpeg

BlueThunder

Mar 13, 2022
Germany
I have installed the Mastermind in my Turbo Levo comp 20 and it works without problems! Has anyone been able to try the latest firmware update?
I'm afraid that with the update the mastermind in the Levo 20 is locked.

HarzEnduro

Jan 23, 2022
Germany
Would be cool to get a How To on how to pair the AXS derailleur. I have followed the steps and tried it about 50 times and still get the "pair failed" message. Some were lucky after that many tries.

DKO

Apr 15, 2022
Bay Area, CA
>>Specialized said future updates will make TCU2 incompatible with Gen2 bikes/motors, not sure from which update this will/has happen .

Sigh, I can confirm that. Recently I had firmware updated by a local shop on my Gen2 Levo (beyond what could be updated in the app). When another local shop tried (as a test!) connecting a new Mastermind TCU to my bike, and attempted transferring the "identity" (save my bike's serial number to it), the new firmware on the Mastermind (or Specialized update shop tool) complained that the (older) bike model was not supported (and it would not save the old SN)...

Whether or not Specialized is using allocation strategy (e.g., due to component shortage) or trying to upsell it on the newer bikes, I agree with others, Mastermind TCU should be available to existing owners without artificial SW restrictions (and it should also work without having to swap the remote control).

Jeff H

May 19, 2019
San Jose, CA, USA
I have a 2019 Levo and am considering a 2022 with Mastermind. I watched a few videos showing how to customize the display to show all types of different data (there’s a ton). Does anyone know if Mission Control captures any of that while recording a ride besides the usual time, distance, and altitude stuff?

sbad

Apr 26, 2022
Melbourne, Australia
I have a 2019 Levo and am considering a 2022 with Mastermind. I watched a few videos showing how to customize the display to show all types of different data (there’s a ton). Does anyone know if Mission Control captures any of that while recording a ride besides the usual time, distance, and altitude stuff?

Yep, you can use the Misson Control app to record your ride and even upload directly to Strava if that's your preference. The app provides a summary similar to Garmin etc with a map and various metrics recorded. All the usual stuff as you suggested, but also includes Total Consumption (watts / hr) and average support level expressed as a %. As an example, I did a ride recently that was 14.85Km long with 557vmtr. Total consumption was 97.00wh & Average Support Level was 92.94%

SNEEZE

Sep 15, 2020
LAFAYETTE
Would be cool to get a How To on how to pair the AXS derailleur. I have followed the steps and tried it about 50 times and still get the "pair failed" message. Some were lucky after that many tries.
Disconnect the derailer and move it closer to TCU, this worked for me.

Jeff H

May 19, 2019
San Jose, CA, USA
I just stumbled on a mastermind
specific setting in mission control that I haven’t seen or heard mentioned anywhere:
“Calibrate bike to phone elevation”.
In the main screen touch the bike serial number > gear icon > slide the switch on.
Seems to work in my garage and I’ll test it out more next ride.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles