Other Mastermind (TCU 2) "How to" guides

Harpo

Apr 9, 2019
Cardiff
I just stumbled on a mastermind
specific setting in mission control that I haven’t seen or heard mentioned anywhere:
“Calibrate bike to phone elevation”.
In the main screen touch the bike serial number > gear icon > slide the switch on.
Seems to work in my garage and I’ll test it out more next ride.
There's also a jump distance screen but I can't see it in the list of available parameters???? Any ideas anyone?

oettam20

Mar 3, 2021
Lugano
From this discussion, it seems clear that it 's not possible to use the Mastermind TCU on a model older than 2022 with the last Firmware. But on a 2022 Aluminum version or the new Carbon Comp, would it be possible to upgrade to the Mastermind TCU? Is this upgrade supported by @Specialized Rider Care

Fabiods

Oct 3, 2022
Italy
Hi, the Mastermind TCU work very well with last firmware of motor and display too. I bought last year the new TCU for my Sworks 2021, I have upgrade with new firmware when it was available. The only weird message it gives is as soon as you turn it on, it tells you "component swap", but it disappears after a few seconds.
However, I must point out that all the updates were made with the TCU mounted on a Sworks 2022, mine too, and then moved to 2021, since the only intelligent part of the whole chain is only Mission Control which notices the change and refuses. To update it if it is not mounted on the 2022 and corresponds to a bike with Mastermind. But once the Mastermind has been disassembled on the 2022 bike and mounted on the 2021, he no longer notices anything, the Mastermind works on the previous bikes.

Christox

Aug 12, 2020
Freiburg/ Germany
Hi !

To get full funtion and no "component swap" You can teach the Mastermind to the 2021 Motor in the 2021 Bike in mission control with using your 2022 S-Works Serial number 😅

Best regard,

Chris

Fabiods

Oct 3, 2022
Italy
this function is very inaccurate, it only marks very long jumps and sometimes not even these or sometimes where I have not jumped, Garmin Edge 503 is much more precise also marks small jumps

behindenemylines

Oct 10, 2022
Washington DC
I just purchased a new TCU2 (mastermind) for my 2021 Gen 2 Levo. I'd try the swap and report if it works or not once it gets here. I wonder if the people that reported it as working used a brand new unit or one that was transplanted from a working Gen3 bike ? and if it was transplanted maybe the firmware on TCU2 needs to be updated first or the initial sync to the correct gen3 bike ?

behindenemylines

Oct 10, 2022
Washington DC
Hi, Have you ever figured out on how to fix the component swap error message. Someone mentioned that it's possible to add old bike's serial number to the TCU via dealer's workstation. I also noticed that some reported as not possible :)

Fabiods

Oct 3, 2022
Italy
Yes, I read about it, but I don't try it, the problem is find a dealer very friend for it, and remember when I sell the bike that the serial number is not correct, tha people are very suspicious with this changes. But I think that is very nice erase the swap error when started, and after the changes serial number I think that you can use the app Mister Mind too

behindenemylines

Oct 10, 2022
Washington DC
Ok, thanks for help and pointers- got it to work.

As noted above. New TCU2 display comes in a default factory firmware, locked to 15kmh. There is no way to upgrade it without an actual levo that originally came with that tcu. You need to do the upgrade on gen3 bike and then plug it into your gen2. Can’t do it on Gen2 via MC , it has to be done via the dealer workstation. Took about 5 min.

I found a very friendly dealer who was willing to help (my next bike will be purchased from them :) ) . I no longer have a swap warning messages and I can upgrade all the components (motor, battery and tcu) directly via MC once paired. I did have to reinstall the app.

Stayrudee

Feb 12, 2020
Poland
Hi what about Kenevo gen2? I have 2020 expert model which is the same as 2022 except the mastermind. Lets say my tcu is broken and I would like to buy a new one?

BlueThunder

Mar 13, 2022
Germany
I have had the Mastermind TCU installed in my Levo 2020 for about a year now and have not noticed a "Comp Swap" message or any problems yet.
I am still riding with the previous owner's serial number (Kenevo SL).
Do any of you know if the serial number in the Mastermind TCU has any effect on the motor or battery management?

Fabiods

Oct 3, 2022
Italy
I have had the Mastermind TCU installed in my Levo 2020 for about a year now and have not noticed a "Comp Swap" message or any problems yet.
I am still riding with the previous owner's serial number (Kenevo SL).
Do any of you know if the serial number in the Mastermind TCU has any effect on the motor or battery management?
Any effect on the motor and battery management.

BlueThunder

Mar 13, 2022
Germany
Any effect on the motor and battery management.

The last 1000km I could not notice any difference from the old TCU!
So the difference between the old TCU with Levo serial number and the new mastermind TCU with Kenevo SL serial number
how should the effects be noticeable?

simple_ben

Apr 10, 2023
Germany
@BlueThunder Thanks for the info. Last question, I found a TCU online and want to install today. Did you remove your bike and then install and re-add it in Mission Control or, just swap it in and go? I have a '22 Comp Alloy. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Let me know and Vielen Danke!

BlueThunder

Mar 13, 2022
Germany
@BlueThunder Thanks for the info. Last question, I found a TCU online and want to install today. Did you remove your bike and then install and re-add it in Mission Control or, just swap it in and go? I have a '22 Comp Alloy. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Let me know and Vielen Danke!
I connected the Mastermind TCU and it already worked. With the old TCU you had to enter a code with the new Mastermind TCU you just have to hold your smartphone near the TCU to pair it. But I‘ve the Levo 20…

BTW: Does anyone know if the TCU really changes the driving characteristics, because I have the serial number of a Kenevo SL.

Even my specialized dealer could not tell me that

etoni

E*POWAH Elite
Sep 3, 2018
Thun Switzerland
what is this range since??

IMG_6208.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles