Benbenben

Apr 7, 2020
Isle of Wight
Great review, mirrored my thoughts on it really. For me it seems like a bit of the worse of both worlds- complexity and price of an ebike except you can’t keep up with other Ebikers possibly up or downhill. Still could see it being great if your mates are on the same bike.
I do appreciate it’s a bloody nice piece of kit, if it was just down to looks....

BenRoberts_EMTB

Author
Jun 8, 2019
Snowdonia
Great review, mirrored my thoughts on it really. For me it seems like a bit of the worse of both worlds- complexity and price of an ebike except you can’t keep up with other Ebikers possibly up or downhill. Still could see it being great if your mates are on the same bike.
I do appreciate it’s a bloody nice piece of kit, if it was just down to looks....
Hi Ben Ben Ben. I'm also Ben!
Yeah I can see how its the perfect bike for some, especially coming over from riding acoustic bikes their whole life and just wanting to go further, faster. But I have pretty much been ruined by the power of my E8000 motor lol.
What I did find interesting was going back to my E Sommet. First ride back was up a really big mountain and I didn't touch boost once. It shows how the boost/turbo mode is basically just an mtb version of crack. We don't need it but its sooooo good :p

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Nice video - I think you found, as a lot of people on the forum seem to have concluded, that going to 160mm travel on the front makes the front end lighten up too much on climbs due to the geometry of the bike.

I hope they bring out an EVO version of the bike, mimicking the Stumpjumper Evo's geometry, as I think that combine with the SL platform would be a great bike.

2wheeledwalbert

Apr 16, 2019
Gloucestershire, England
Bloody good review that mate ? I've yet to test ride one yet, but for me it seems to whiny and to much hard work compared to a full fat levo Haha. Hitting the turbo button and roosting back to the top is what ebikes are all about for me. Plus I like the weight of a proper ebike, it thumps through anything in it's way.

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
In my opinion SL aren’t for true ebikers market, are for catch the regular bikers. A bit of extra power and ... light enough? Whatever, also many people in good shape ride eco most of the times and for they don’t worth the weight penalty for a few turbo climbs.

Lighter ebikes was about time, always good to have options.

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
Nice video - I think you found, as a lot of people on the forum seem to have concluded, that going to 160mm travel on the front makes the front end lighten up too much on climbs due to the geometry of the bike.

I hope they bring out an EVO version of the bike, mimicking the Stumpjumper Evo's geometry, as I think that combine with the SL platform would be a great bike.

Modern geo would make the SL something else! I am getting close with mine - ~ 65 deg HTA on my with 160mm, short offset fork, more progressive rear end, steeper "STA" with a long rail saddle pushed forward (only works if you can upsize).

On the 160mm - I actually find it better on uphills, tight switchbacks when combined with the 44mm offset. It's more stable/less twitchy. The previously mentioned seat position hack helps as well.

It's definitely more work overall, but I find the pedaling more enjoyable than my full fat, especially past the motor cutoff.

Options are great, eh ? :)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
@BenroTV one thing I would suggest is not posting multiple thread about the video, just because you effectively have two conversation about the same thing that are difficult to follow - I note you have also posted in the Specilized section, which is probably the right sub forum. (y)

@Rob Hancill can merge them.

BenRoberts_EMTB

Author
Jun 8, 2019
Snowdonia
@BenroTV one thing I would suggest is not posting multiple thread about the video, just because you effectively have two conversation about the same thing that are difficult to follow - I note you have also posted in the Specilized section, which is probably the right sub forum. (y)

@Rob Hancill can merge them.
Cheers. That makes sense. Will stick to one place in future.

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips
Good video, but I disagree with some of it. The bike climbs just fine if you keep the saddle up and weight the front just like a normal bike. I think the issue is 'who is the bike for' it seems there are two types of Emtb rider, those that want less weight and more manouverability, for whom the SL is perfect, or the motocross riders that want a legal way to hit the trails and blast through and over every bend or obstacle in the trail, who will love full fat bikes. Neither is wrong, just different, like a trail bike and a downhill bike.

TomH79

Jan 5, 2020
Finland
Good video, but I disagree with some of it. The bike climbs just fine if you keep the saddle up and weight the front just like a normal bike. I think the issue is 'who is the bike for' it seems there are two types of Emtb rider, those that want less weight and more manouverability, for whom the SL is perfect, or the motocross riders that want a legal way to hit the trails and blast through and over every bend or obstacle in the trail, who will love full fat bikes. Neither is wrong, just different, like a trail bike and a downhill bike.

Yes. With SL i dont put the saddle down while climbing. Climb much better with saddle up and weight forward.

Killswitch73

Sep 15, 2018
West Midlands
I dont get the saddle down bit .. your thighs are then are taking a battering and not to mention your knees .. your meant to climb with seat up so you can then put the power down through the pedals .. the way your are doing it the power is going through your thighs and not to the pedals .. ive tried your way and cant climb for shit like it .

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I actually think in an EMTB if you are doing any sort of technical climb you are better off with your saddle not fully up, as it give you a bit more room to manoeuvre.

I run my seat height slightly lower on my EMTB’s than on my normal bikes

Killswitch73

Sep 15, 2018
West Midlands
I actually think in an EMTB if you are doing any sort of technical climb you are better off with your saddle not fully up, as it give you a bit more room to manoeuvre.

I run my seat height slightly lower on my EMTB’s than on my normal bikes

This is not a full Fat EMTB though and SL needs the power through the pedals not through the motor .. this little motor can only do so much . weight forward with seat up ..

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
levo is more practical.more quiet.more smooth, has better range with internal battery and is faster but sl is more fun

TomH79

Jan 5, 2020
Finland
levo is more practical.more quiet.more smooth, has better range with internal battery and is faster but sl is more fun

What comes to range is only how you set assist levels on each bike.
On levo i get easily 100km/+1000m on eco 15/30.
On SL so far biggest ride have been 53km/600m with eco 35/40. Battery was left 48% so will hit that 100km.

Ranges are almost identical, with SL you have do more of an workout. In a good way.

BenRoberts_EMTB

Author
Jun 8, 2019
Snowdonia
Having only ridden the bike for half a day before the hill climb test I wasn't sure what the best way would be to tackle the incline. At that angle with seat up I found my weight is too far back due to the seat angle so I would basically need to stand up whilst pedalling. Maybe a middle setting is the answer :unsure:

BenRoberts_EMTB

Author
Jun 8, 2019
Snowdonia
I dont get the saddle down bit .. your thighs are then are taking a battering and not to mention your knees .. your meant to climb with seat up so you can then put the power down through the pedals .. the way your are doing it the power is going through your thighs and not to the pedals .. ive tried your way and cant climb for shit like it .
Find a 30 degree slope and let me know how you get on with the seat up.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I think the point is from the review that it’s not the best climber, which is pretty consistent with other reviews? Of course you can adapt and make it climb, but other bikes with different geometry will probably do it better.

The Levo SL is a compromise bike, but one where the sum of those compromises add up to something pretty fun to ride

BenRoberts_EMTB

Author
Jun 8, 2019
Snowdonia
I think the point is from the review that it’s not the best climber, which is pretty consistent with other reviews? Of course you can adapt and make it climb, but other bikes with different geometry will probably do it better.

The Levo SL is a compromise bike, but one where the sum of those compromises add up to something pretty fun to ride
Very true. I, like many really enjoy the assisted climbing from a full fat ebike and to me its another reason to own one. The SL doesn't really give me the want to look for those fun technical climbs. Worth thinking about if you're considering one...

TomH79

Jan 5, 2020
Finland
Very true. I, like many really enjoy the assisted climbing from a full fat ebike and to me its another reason to own one. The SL doesn't really give me the want to look for those fun technical climbs. Worth thinking about if you're considering one...

Wrong.

SL just make do much more work, and makes you use/improve your skills example in climbing.
With full fat, it is more like "keep the cranks turning and keep on steering".

There is a spot on both bikes but if you have legs to use, want to sweat bit more ect, definetly go for the SL.

BenRoberts_EMTB

Author
Jun 8, 2019
Snowdonia
Wrong.

SL just make do much more work, and makes you use/improve your skills example in climbing.
With full fat, it is more like "keep the cranks turning and keep on steering".

There is a spot on both bikes but if you have legs to use, want to sweat bit more ect, definetly go for the SL.
Sorry for everything.

Killswitch73

Sep 15, 2018
West Midlands
With my Kenevo expert 19 it just went up 90% of everything , I struggled with great big high rocks bigger than the bike on the trails I use . It went down 90% everything too accept Greet big rocks bigger than the bike itself . Now after 25 miles with say 3000ft of climbing ,(504wh) ,biggest being about 1300 feet in one go at the end of the rides I never even broke into a sweat and just don’t feel like I had been for a ride .. haha I even put weight on and felt really lazy . I had to start using my analogue stumpy bike again and my road bike and never felt happier . Kenevo or full fat levo’s are Great if you don’t want to work or can’t be bothered with the climb .
I’m 46 and I want to feel alive and feel that burn sometimes in my legs and heart . That’s why I’m buying the SL as I still need to work but having that little boost when needing it .
and not forgetting I fell off the Kenevo breaking my wrist and the bike landing on my head cracking a £250 helmet . Without that helmet I would be dead 100% .

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I’m 46 and I want to feel alive and feel that burn sometimes in my legs and heart . That’s why I’m buying the SL as I still need to work but having that little boost when needing it .
I'm confused. You have three settings on a FF or an SL. Eco, Trail, Turbo. You can also adjust any of those to any level of assistance you desire. So you say you want to be able to work, just set your 19 Kenevo to 5% assistance and you'll have to work way harder than on the SL in it's default settings. The Kenevo's a heavy pig - it's perfect for a workout - up and down !

I've ridden my 19 Kenevo a few times with the power off and it's certainly a workout and not what I'd call fun. For me I prefer to ride it faster and harder, with assistance, and work my arse off. Just because you have assistance doesn't mean you don't have to work. Agreed, you can plod along just on that edge where it's assisting and you're not really having to work that hard, but that's not exactly fun, exhilarating or engaging - but that would be your preference/choice to do that.

The point of the SL isn't just so you can feel you have more of a workout to go up a hill. The point of the SL is that it's lighter, to make it more nimble and interesting to ride, whilst sacrificing some of the POTENTIAL assistance you could have on an FF bike.

The SL's an amazing bike, but it won't fit with everyones EMTB requirements, just as an FF won't fit with everyone's EMTB ideals.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I think it’d be a hard sell to get someone who is used to the power of a FF eMTB to be happy with the amount of power from an SL.

My Rail hammered up the rocky climbs in eMTB mode, and I felt that it offered me (personally) way too much help. I swapped to the SL after 3 weeks (5 rides), so I don’t think I’d ever got used to it.
At the moment I’m riding my SL at 40/50, and am probably going to dial it down to 35/45 to see how that is.

Today, I did 27.5 miles, and 911m ascent - and by the end my legs were feeling it. A couple of long steep technical climbs in there. It’s now 12 hours since that ride, and my legs are really heavy!
The last few miles home, I was seriously considering switching to Trail (60/60) to give me a boost - but I was scared going back to 40/50 would feel lacking afterwards!

Specialized don’t need to convince us that this is the way forward. They still offer a FF version. They’re just trying to appeal to people (like me) who don’t want to go charging up the hills, and still want to test their legs.
My Stumpy is a great bike, but sometimes I feel like I need a little bit more in some climbs. The SL is like me being on the Stumpy and getting a gentle push when I’m struggling!!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles