Specialized Turbo Levo vs Kenevo Review, my demo day

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Levo Kenevo Levo demo day.

Was lucky enough to go to the Spesh demo day at Gap Creek yesterday and test out some of the range.
First up was a guided ride on a Levo expert with the carbon front frame, carbon wheels Öhlins fork ect. This was a XL and at 6ft I’m used to a L frame normally. I totally loved this bike it had lots of pop and handled well and the weight was not felt, however it felt a tad heavy in the front, but I put this down to it being a XL when I’m used to a Large. It was great at all speeds, lively, flighty but at real fast stuff did not feel as planted, but was still great.

Next I took out a Kenevo Large frame, and immediately could tell I was on a alloy bike and it felt a bit heavy. On the climb up the fire road the front felt unweighted. On the slower to medium speed single trail it felt doughy with less pop. However when it got steep and fast it real shined and came alive, with the 180mm travel and coil shock soaking it all up, it had come alive, felt planted and safe.

Last was the base alloy Levo in large. This did not come with a dropper which I missed as I’m so used to it. No probs, as I slammed it down as far as it would go, and who needs pedal efficiency when you got turbo power anyway. I could not really get it down enough as it was long and fouled the frame, but it was good enough for a test. It felt doughy on really slow stuff and lacked a bit of pop. I put this down to the lower spec RS forks and bit heavier alloy frame. It shined with a bit more speed and when it got fast and steep felt really well planted but not as plush as the coiled Kenevo. This is the bike I am looking to buy to replace my alloy Norco Sight, which it will do. But it’s only because it’s the cheapest at $6000 and I can’t afford the $10500 for the expert or $9000 for the Kenevo which does not suit me anyway. I would have to add a dropper, which will bump it up a bit, and would also have to put up with the smaller 460wh battery over the 504wh on the others. Overall it’s a great bike still, not as polished as the higher end stuff but still good enough for me.

Conclusion
If you got the money, go as high a spec in the carbon you can afford. Lively for all trail riding and able to handle all the rough fast stuff you can throw at it.

If you like to go fast and steep all the time going down and cruise to the top get the Kenevo, but if 75% is trail riding, and 25% is gravity your better off with a Levo, and you’ll have more fun imo.

If your on a budget, you can’t beat the Base Alloy Levo, but I would add a dropper to take full advantage, and it will still do all you want even tho a little less polished than the carbon big brothers.

Hope my honest review helps if looking to buy. But keep in mind, they were demo bikes, and were not as dialled in the set up as I would of liked.

Taffyteg

Founding Member
Feb 13, 2018
United Kingdom
Great review thanks.

My Levo Comp has a dropper, could you not go for one of them?
I also have the 460 battery and don't really find it being a problem, did 6 hours in the saddle last weekend at Coedy and still had 30% left ?

comtn

Founding Member
Feb 27, 2018
Colorado Springs
Thanks for the review. I haven't ridden the kenevo but had a chance to test a 2017 levo comp vs my 2018 comp carbon. It was a much bigger difference than I expected. The motor was very yo yo on the 2017 and seemed to lose steam as the day went on. Pedal strikes were an issue also the fatter 3.0 tires made it feel like a tank and not a normal stumpjumper. My 18 feels like a normal stumpjumper besides the weight. Anyone considering getting a deal on a '17 I would strongly advise to save you pennies for the '18. The '17 seems very half baked compared to the '18.

Danielp

Feb 25, 2018
Melbourne
Hey mate,

Love the write up! Especially the levo vs kenevo part!
I know its pushing up towards the 'kenevo' budget, but have you considered stretching to a comp carbon levo?
The forks move up to a 35mm stanchion (rather than 32), you get the carbon front triangle, dropper post and the 504 battery rather than the 460.
Then the rest of the running gear is a slight upgrade (Brakes and drivetrain)

I reckon the Comp carbon has the best bang for your buck in the whole levo line!!

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Hey mate,

Love the write up! Especially the levo vs kenevo part!
I know its pushing up towards the 'kenevo' budget, but have you considered stretching to a comp carbon levo?
The forks move up to a 35mm stanchion (rather than 32), you get the carbon front triangle, dropper post and the 504 battery rather than the 460.
Then the rest of the running gear is a slight upgrade (Brakes and drivetrain)

I reckon the Comp carbon has the best bang for your buck in the whole levo line!!
Agreed, but could not afford it. I have just picked up a ex demo at a great price. It is however the alloy version, but I ain’t complaining.

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
FWIW, a lot of how a demo FS bike can feel is how the suspension is set up, which you have no idea how was done. So, especially in this case where the models are close to each other in geometry, it can mess with your judgement. Also, beyond simply twisting knobs, you can easily tune any of these suspension bits to provide the ride you are after, damp and plush or playful and poppy. It's sort of like tires, ride a demo bike with rock hard tires and you're going to hate it, no matter what bike it is.

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Great review thanks.

My Levo Comp has a dropper, could you not go for one of them?
I also have the 460 battery and don't really find it being a problem, did 6 hours in the saddle last weekend at Coedy and still had 30% left ?

Hi Taffyteg,

6 hours is really good. I presume you have a 2018?

Really interested to see what settings you have eco, trail and turbo set to?

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Agreed, but could not afford it. I have just picked up a ex demo at a great price. It is however the alloy version, but I ain’t complaining.

Budget is always a huge factor. I went down the secondhand route 4 weeks back due to cash flow availability and I am definitely NOT regretting it as it has allowed me to dip my toes into the ebike scene to see what it is all about.

I picked up a very low mileage 2017 Turbo Levo which had a few upgrades, dropper post, Saint front brake, SLX rear brake and the 2018 heat sinks fitted. I haven’t had any issues with the motor or with any lack in power at the end of the ride so all is good on that front so far...... I have carried out some additional upgrades by stealing parts off a couple of my analogue bikes and have got the Levo to where I feel is fairly close to how I want it to perform without breaking the bank (thank you analogue bikes) There may be a few more tweaks needed but nothing too major now.
It is more a Kenevo than a Levo now so hopefully I will have close to the best of both worlds now ?

Last edited:

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Thanks for the review. I haven't ridden the kenevo but had a chance to test a 2017 levo comp vs my 2018 comp carbon. It was a much bigger difference than I expected. The motor was very yo yo on the 2017 and seemed to lose steam as the day went on. Pedal strikes were an issue also the fatter 3.0 tires made it feel like a tank and not a normal stumpjumper. My 18 feels like a normal stumpjumper besides the weight. Anyone considering getting a deal on a '17 I would strongly advise to save you pennies for the '18. The '17 seems very half baked compared to the '18.

Unfortunately could not quite afford the 2018 and went down the second hand 2017 route.

I have not had the yo yo issue or the losing steam as the day went on issue you mentioned on my 2017 (thank god). How old was the 2017 Levo you tested and how old was the battery?

I did have pedal strike issues though. I have noticed I pedal even more and in different situations on the trails than I did before with the ebike compared to my analogue bikes (do you?). Very steep tight single track was the most challenging scenario. I resolved the majority of the pedal strikes by fitting a longer fork and 150mm cranks. For the steep terrain I now adjust my body position forwards or whatever is needed and that seems to work without the bike ‘looping out’ and me falling off the back. For other riding scenarios the longer forks and shorter cranks have cured the issue and that is running with 2.6 tyres.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles