R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Isn't the real point here that its great we have the choice? I can see the benefits of both bikes, some riders will prefer a mimimally assisted platform and some will love blasting around in turbo all the time, there is no right or wrong, better or worse.

I dont actually think the SL is at all about people who still want to put more effort in than on a FF, what its actually built for is being great on the trails and downhill, as they are trying to build a more manoeuvrable, lighter bike, and the compromise is less power. Of course this means it works for those who aren't bothered about having higher assistance options too, but its not the reason they built it.

I wouldn't say that when I see Bernard Kerr, Oli Wilkins and Brendog blasting around the Surrey Hills on their "full fat" EMTB's that they are compensating for fitness, no they just love them for having fun.

Pretty much every "serious" rider I know with an EMTB likes them because they get to shred more downhill, and get more runs in in less time.

IMO to ride something like a Kenevo really well, which even in the world of EMTB's is a big old boat, you actually have to be really fit and strong, because it aint easy moving that kind of weight around.

If anything a bike like the SL is actually going to be easier for many people who are not that fit to ride, because of its weight - assistance is assistance and at the end of the day any sort of motor turns mere mortals into Nino Schurter up the hills.

Personally I prefer something in the middle, lighter full fat EMTB still has the edge for me, none of the lightweight options out there right now have any appeal to me in terms of the geometry or specifications, except for potentially the Nox Helium, but no way I would drop that kind of money without a testride

Last edited:

Killswitch73

Sep 15, 2018
West Midlands
I'm confused. You have three settings on a FF or an SL. Eco, Trail, Turbo. You can also adjust any of those to any level of assistance you desire. So you say you want to be able to work, just set your 19 Kenevo to 5% assistance and you'll have to work way harder than on the SL in it's default settings. The Kenevo's a heavy pig - it's perfect for a workout - up and down !

I've ridden my 19 Kenevo a few times with the power off and it's certainly a workout and not what I'd call fun. For me I prefer to ride it faster and harder, with assistance, and work my arse off. Just because you have assistance doesn't mean you don't have to work. Agreed, you can plod along just on that edge where it's assisting and you're not really having to work that hard, but that's not exactly fun, exhilarating or engaging - but that would be your preference/choice to do that.

The point of the SL isn't just so you can feel you have more of a workout to go up a hill. The point of the SL is that it's lighter, to make it more nimble and interesting to ride, whilst sacrificing some of the POTENTIAL assistance you could have on an FF bike.

The SL's an amazing bike, but it won't fit with everyones EMTB requirements, just as an FF won't fit with everyone's EMTB ideals.
That’s my whole point .. the Kenevo was far to heavy for me .. when it hits you in the head it kind of puts you off mate . And yes I tried with it off but when the power is in front of you you are going to use it , you ain’t not going to not use it . It’s like putting a bag of crack in front of a recovering crack addict or an ex alcoholic with a Bottle of vodka in front of him being open and smelling that sweet smell of vodka . Or me with a greet big pack of Jaffa cakes the bike with the power is the Jaffa cakes !
I didn’t say it wasn’t fun as at the start I couldn’t stop smiling . But damn it was a heavy lump .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles