The Specialized Turbo Levo HT 2019 Review

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Pies and knees have kept me out of the game for some time, but I came back to mountain biking this summer after trying out a friend’s Kalkhof hybrid and realising that E*POWAH was the way forward. The steed I selected for my illustrious return to the trails and my first foray into the world of EMTBs was the Specialized Turbo Levo HT 2019. And I love it, though not unconditionally.
While Black Friday weekend saw last year’s Levo HT discounted to sub £3000, its official retail price is still £3250. This year’s Levo HT costs £2250, for which you get an identical frame to the 2018 model, manufactured using Specialized M5 Premium aluminium. It enjoys the same slack Trail 6Fattie Geometry and svelte styling as the outgoing bike, so first impressions are usually enthusiastic.
Power comes from a slightly fettled version of the proven Brose 1.2 powertrain. The Brose 1.2e, which also appears on the 2019 Kenevo in Europe is one of, if not the quietest EMTB motors available today. Power...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

SMJA

Oct 26, 2018
Hertfordshire, UK
Spot on review. I have exactly this model and those forks! Shocking*. Replaced with the 2019 Revelation 140mm and what a difference, my teeth now remain in my head without being shaken out riding the trail. I’m getting an easy 30 miles on the 14Ah/ 504Wh pack trail riding and not holding back. Other immediate mods were GR500 pedals, a dropper and going tubeless. Very happy and love this ride now.

Last edited:
S

Sean

I am thinking of getting one of these and saw the change in spec. Happy to upgrade the mechanical parts, but know nothing about the electrics. The comment mentions a 504Wh battery. Is it simply a battery swap to get better range or is it like a car ECU and you need some technical wizardry with a laptop to get it to realise it has a better battery?

SMJA

Oct 26, 2018
Hertfordshire, UK
I am thinking of getting one of these and saw the change in spec. Happy to upgrade the mechanical parts, but know nothing about the electrics. The comment mentions a 504Wh battery. Is it simply a battery swap to get better range or is it like a car ECU and you need some technical wizardry with a laptop to get it to realise it has a better battery?

Mine came with that 504Wh battery, bought in the UK late November, 2019 model. 504Wh is perfect for the bike, plenty of range.

P

Paul Baker

I just got a 2019 levo one from Freeborn bikes for £1619, can't argue at that price.

Upgrades:
Rockshox Judy 120mm £175
Deore 1x10 £59
Dropper post £90
Maxxis DHF/Aggressor £55
My own DMR grips/pedals/stem

I'm still laughing at under £2000 and probably lost £2k in weight too!

P

Paul Baker

Oh and just to add about the biased review for this bike, 90% of people don't need full suss, most will only ride trail, seems to be more about fashion over function these days. This bike is more than adequate for park and red downhill runs.

Is there a better bike out there for £2000 odd, I dont think so. Maybe the Vitus HT but the Shimano steps exteral batteries are going to look so out of date in a year. The Norco HT looks nice but £2700 for an XCM fork and £20 acrea chainset... overpriced. Can't go wrong with the levo. Plus it will still look good in 3 years time and will have better resale than any other bike on the market. It's the Audi of mountain bikes folks!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles