uk
will 27.5+ fit the 2019 models? BB looks fairly low even with the 29ers

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Check the base model spec - looks like it came from a £500 Halfords Apollo bike - I would need to spend £2000 upgrading components - and I would still "only" have a hard tail.

For the extra Speed and weight you defo need Full sus

true but we are considering the cheap HT one for my wife mainly for commuting and some trail riding ,and to add new wheels which we have already , upgrade the gearing, fit a new fork and dropper comes to about
gears £70
dropper £100
fork £400
the price offer we have had will more than cover that

Thomas

Aug 29, 2018
Europe
Budget Stout 29 Wheelset on 2019 Levo are only 8-/9-/10-speed compatible. :confused:
And on top of that, they don't have much positive feedback regarding long term use.
Another thing to upgrade...list is getting longer:unsure:

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
whats the difference between a 10speed freehub annd an 11 speed?
I have a set of stans flow rims on hope hubs to put on

Danijel

Aug 13, 2018
Netherlands
Budget Stout 29 Wheelset on 2019 Levo are only 8-/9-/10-speed compatible. :confused:
And on top of that, they don't have much positive feedback regarding long term use.
Another thing to upgrade...list is getting longer:unsure:

If i where you i would ride it like you stole it until it breaks (which it will, even on the higher end models) and replace it with better stuff. That's what i will be doing. Just enjoy it en use it till it breaks and upgrade it with better parts. Feels like the most logical way to do it, the bike grows with me and my skills.

Thomas

Aug 29, 2018
Europe
If i where you i would ride it like you stole it until it breaks (which it will, even on the higher end models) and replace it with better stuff. That's what i will be doing. Just enjoy it en use it till it breaks and upgrade it with better parts. Feels like the most logical way to do it, the bike grows with me and my skills.

You make a really good point. (y)
I just might do that if decided to go for HT and if aluminium FSR 2019 models don't get better components.

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
You make a really good point. (y)
I just might do that if decided to go for HT and if aluminium FSR 2019 models don't get better components.

For the type of riding you are going to be doing on this bike and probably the budget you have an HT will give you a really good introduction to ebikes.

Make sure you test ride whatever bikes you are considering purchasing.

As @Danijel says, don’t do any upgrades until you have purchased and ridden the bike for a while as you are going to find out an ebike is sooooo different to what you are used to riding.

You may be pleasantly surprised with the lowest costing HT and if not, after a few weeks/months of riding and getting used to the bike you can start spending the money you saved on upgrades that will actually make a difference.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Thomas

Aug 29, 2018
Europe
For the type of riding you are going to be doing on this bike and probably the budget you have an HT will give you a really good introduction to ebikes.

Make sure you test ride whatever bikes you are considering purchasing.

As @Danijel says, don’t do any upgrades until you have purchased and ridden the bike for a while as you are going to find out an ebike is sooooo different to what you are used to riding.

You may be pleasantly surprised with the lowest costing HT and if not, after a few weeks/months of riding and getting used to the bike you can start spending the money you saved on upgrades that will actually make a difference.

Hope this helps.

Thanks this helps, because I can't help myself.
Just look what I did to brand new entry level Roubaix on the first day. At the end, only the frame was left unchanged. :LOL:

And after 10 month it already have a new home.
Good thing that I stumbled on this forum, where people have some common sense. :cool:

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
When you are climbing asphalt roads on your road bike @Thomas do you stay seated or do you like to stand and climb out of the saddle? If you stay seated then I don't think you will notice any bob from rear suspension on an EMTB even if you leave it fully open. (If you like standing then it's another matter, because ugh that is horrible then :))

I was used to road cycling (albeit on a gravel bike) and now when I'm on the road on my EMTB I just leave the rear suspension open all the time and don't find it a problem at all. It's just super smooth and rather than avoiding potholes you can just go straight over them in comfort :)

But really you should test some different models and see what suits your use best!

Thomas

Aug 29, 2018
Europe
When you are climbing asphalt roads on your road bike @Thomas do you stay seated or do you like to stand and climb out of the saddle? If you stay seated then I don't think you will notice any bob from rear suspension on an EMTB even if you leave it fully open. (If you like standing then it's another matter, because ugh that is horrible then :))

I was used to road cycling (albeit on a gravel bike) and now when I'm on the road on my EMTB I just leave the rear suspension open all the time and don't find it a problem at all. It's just super smooth and rather than avoiding potholes you can just go straight over them in comfort :)

But really you should test some different models and see what suits your use best!

Good to know.
99% I stay seated, don't like to stand on the pedals even on the steepest sections of the climbs.
Have to find some time asap, to visit the store and try FSR. They don't have HT for test ride, but better than nothing.
At the end of the day, from what you all told me, I guess there is nothing to be worried, even with FSR. Eventually you get used to all different bikes and setups. Thankfully don't have problems with that.
Thanks

Thomas

Aug 29, 2018
Europe
I'm sold. Just tested my first EMTB today and don't remember when I was smiling at 178 BPM on a 14% incline. :ROFLMAO:
Did a small back to back test, high end road bike 6.5kg vs Turbo Levo FSR Comp 1.3.
Distance 6.5km, Elev. Gain 440m, rolling terrain with some steep sections.
Did coast on both bikes, when descending on some sections, so the road bike wouldn't take too much advantage (gear ratio).
Average heart rate was little higher on EMTB , but overall it pulls out impressive 2 minutes advantage over a road bike. :eek:

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Can anybody who has a 2019 levo hardtail tell me what fork travel should be on a medium?

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Can anybody who has a 2019 levo hardtail tell me what fork travel should be on a medium?

I do not have the HT yet Dave but on all the sites I have seen it for sale, it is a 100 mm travel for size small and then 120 mm for all the rest.

Karsten

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
We bought one yesterday and measuring the fork its at 150mm
Im pretty certain that it should be 120mm for medium but wondered what others have

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
We bought one yesterday and measuring the fork its at 150mm
Im pretty certain that it should be 120mm for medium but wondered what others have

That is indeed interesting, what fork is on the bike? The entry level should be a Suntour and the Comp is listed with a Reba.

Karsten

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Its a suntor and its stretching the imagination to call it a fork

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
My wifes 2019 levo hardtail after we fettled it

IMG_20180909_152411306_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Specialized this is an insult to mountain bikers

IMG_20180909_152646436_HDR.jpg

Danijel

Aug 13, 2018
Netherlands
Those are some big changes you made. Did you do this all after you bought it a couple of days ago? Wasn't it a better option to buy the comp instead?

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Bought it yesterday apart from the fork we had all the bits and we got it for a very good price.
To be honest we bought with the attitude we were just buying frame, motor and battery and for what we paid it was a fair price.
To be honest as it came apart from the very horrid fork it was perfectly usable
Now it abso,utly brilliant and as for the comp which is what a grand more? its still crappy spec for that price

Danijel

Aug 13, 2018
Netherlands
Cool! And i agree that on paper the comp has crappy specs but using it i think they are at the point that i don't notice the difference between them or the higher end ones. In my opinion marketing and pricing make you think that those products are the ones you need and make you a better biker but in practise most people don't notice the difference. Margins on higher end components are in most case way higher so you can't blame the manufacturers. The comp does have the new 1.3 motor and a bigger battery. That and the beautiful color made me choose the comp. Everything else can be upgraded is necessary.

I am having an awesome time on my 2019 comp and when the time is there (when parts brake) i will maybe replace them with some higher end parts.

VaseLEVO

Aug 20, 2018
Arlington, VA, USA
I'm sold. Just tested my first EMTB today and don't remember when I was smiling at 178 BPM on a 14% incline. :ROFLMAO:
Did a small back to back test, high end road bike 6.5kg vs Turbo Levo FSR Comp 1.3.
Distance 6.5km, Elev. Gain 440m, rolling terrain with some steep sections.
Did coast on both bikes, when descending on some sections, so the road bike wouldn't take too much advantage (gear ratio).
Average heart rate was little higher on EMTB , but overall it pulls out impressive 2 minutes advantage over a road bike. :eek:
Was reading your posts and looking forward to your reaction. Actually was about to tell you of my feeling going from a Sirius carbon expert disc to the FSR carbon expert Levo. I am still a novice. What I found is only pluses going to the Levo. It’s not only more comfy, I don’t even feel any bobing. I was riding the rear shock locked, eventually went to pedal and now I ride everywhere with it open and I actually found am liking it a lot. I got laughed at by my colleagues at work when I mentioned I got an ebike. Took the Levo to work other day so they can’t try it. Every single person who rode it came back with a big kid grin. They mostly had this assumption it was a sort of motorbike lite mascarading as a bicycle. Test ride cleared up all the preconceived misconceptions

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Cool! And i agree that on paper the comp has crappy specs but using it i think they are at the point that i don't notice the difference between them or the higher end ones. In my opinion marketing and pricing make you think that those products are the ones you need and make you a better biker but in practise most people don't notice the difference. Margins on higher end components are in most case way higher so you can't blame the manufacturers. The comp does have the new 1.3 motor and a bigger battery. That and the beautiful color made me choose the comp. Everything else can be upgraded is necessary.

I am having an awesome time on my 2019 comp and when the time is there (when parts brake) i will maybe replace them with some higher end parts.
Ah yes the bigger battery and 1.3 motor is probably worth it

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Dave, do the 2019 battery work together with the 2018 Levo?

Btw upgrades look good, I’ll upgrade my Levo too and for sure the leftoverS will go on the HT and the “admiral” will be happy ?

Karsten

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Yes it fits and got same firmware wife got a new bike, i got a spare battery :)))

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles