Levo HT 2019

Thomas

Aug 29, 2018
Europe
So if i'm reading this right, they reduce the price for Levo Hardtail 2019?
Turbo Levo Hardtail 29
3.099 EUR to 2.499 EUR
Men's Turbo Levo Hardtail 29 | Specialized.com

Turbo Levo Hardtail Comp 29
3.999 EUR to 3.499 EUR
Men's Turbo Levo Hardtail Comp 29 | Specialized.com

If the price difference remains the same, I still don't know if I should get more expensive FSR LEVO, despite the new battery, new frame and perhaps new motor?
I won't be riding any big Trails, only appeal of FSR LEVO is the looks of the bike. :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
So if i'm reading this right, they reduce the price for Levo Hardtail 2019?
Turbo Levo Hardtail 29
3.099 EUR to 2.499 EUR
Men's Turbo Levo Hardtail 29 | Specialized.com

Turbo Levo Hardtail Comp 29
3.999 EUR to 3.499 EUR
Men's Turbo Levo Hardtail Comp 29 | Specialized.com

If the price difference remains the same, I still don't know if I should get more expensive FSR LEVO, despite the new battery, new frame and perhaps new motor?
I won't be riding any big Trails, only appeal of FSR LEVO is the looks of the bike. :unsure:

But a full-suspension adds a level of comfort and traction, even if you don't do jumps or very rough trails. And considered, that with an ebike it's easy to ride uphill on those rooty / rocky climbs while you stay seated and pedal up there - a full-suspension is "the way to go" on the e-mtbs.

That said - my wife has a e-mtb hardtail, but she's 50kg light and small and has 3" plus tyres which do the suspension for her... (a frame in size XS with full-sus & motor just wasn't available, so she decided on the "e").

Thomas

Aug 29, 2018
Europe
But a full-suspension adds a level of comfort and traction, even if you don't do jumps or very rough trails. And considered, that with an ebike it's easy to ride uphill on those rooty / rocky climbs while you stay seated and pedal up there - a full-suspension is "the way to go" on the e-mtbs.

That said - my wife has a e-mtb hardtail, but she's 50kg light and small and has 3" plus tyres which do the suspension for her... (a frame in size XS with full-sus & motor just wasn't available, so she decided on the "e").

I completely understand, but I'm primarily on road bike with around 8-10.000km a year and this would be my first MTB.
Want to mix up trainings during the winter and spring, when the roads are not in perfect condition, so I could ride on some nasty asphalt local roads, which I usually avoid and not worrying destroying expensive road machine. ;)
If I'm honest, I would ride this 80% on asphalt and 20% on hard packed gravel roads. As totally inexperienced in MTB, I won't be hitting rooty / rocky trails any time soon.
The main concern is, that on longer climbs(asphalt), the ride on FSR, would be much more unpleasant, even with locked rear shock? :unsure:

Thomas

Aug 29, 2018
Europe
have you ridden any? I recommend you do before you choose
I have basic 13kg fitness bike, with front suspension, that I ride in the winter.
Local Specialized shop have 2017 FSR test bike, will try it next week and will see whats what on the climb.

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
I dont see why not but it does depend on which bike you buy some are easier to change front rings some are not, I am biased and I ride a specialized turbo levo and they just bought out a new hardtail version. they are fitted with brose motors are are very quiet and with an app you can tune the motor to suit your self and I think you can go up to a 36t on the front on those bikes.
I dont know what the laws are like in your country but it might be worth you reading in the "restricted" section on this forum.
At the other end of the scale are the bikes with the FAZUA ,<sp> motors very light bikes but with reduced power. Focus bikes do a very nice hardtail fitted with that motor

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
I have 2018 Levo HT. 27.5plus with 3” Purgatory and Ground control tires. I like it a lot, on the trails it’s amazing bike for a hardtail. Very fast and agile. It is also very versatile bike. I use it everyday commuting and trailriding.
I swapped the fork 160mm pike. Rock gardens and root sections are very easy with it. And when you point it downhill; it’s fast. Makes endless smile on your face.

Thomas

Aug 29, 2018
Europe
Looking at this picture of Turbo Levo Comp HT 2019, they downgraded most of the components.
Only 10 speed Deore, smaller rotors, diferent break calipers, front shock doesn't look like RockShox Reba, no dropper seatpost, no Roval Wheelset (STOUT)...:cautious:
At least battery stays the same 500W and the motor is upgraded to 1.3.

Thomas

Aug 29, 2018
Europe
download.jpg

Lxmaso

Sep 2, 2018
Venice
Still do not understand why HT Levo exist. Why should I buy this kind of hybrid bike? Is not a real mtb nor a road bike. It makes not sense as electric bike

VaseLEVO

Aug 20, 2018
Arlington, VA, USA
Turbo Levo 2019 is my final pick, only have to decide on HT or FSR.
Just waiting for the official relese like most of people here, pricing and the equipment of the new FSR.
I saw the picture today and regarding the frame and battery, 2 points for FSR.;)
Am new to this too. Do keep in mind you can even lock the rear suspension on the fly ( while riding ) too, and that turns your FSR into a hard tail. best of both worlds and I don't see why not.

Danijel

Aug 13, 2018
Netherlands
I agree with @brilleaux. I am a proud owner of a 2019 Levo HT and have ridden about 400km on it already. It's a blast! We have some amazing trails here in the dutch dunes which i have been riding with a hardtail without ever having the feeling being more capable than the bike itself. Everything i have been trowing at it the bike handled amazingly. Jumps, steep descends, rocks, sand and so on. Would i be more comfortable on a fully. Definitely! Would i have more fun? I don't think so.

Even though the components are supposed to be on the low end the bike brakes like crazy, shifts super smooth and just rides amazingly. I am glad i did not fall for the specs but bought something that fits me and my capabilities.

20180903_140629.jpg

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
HT EMTBS are a lot of fun, however i would say that unless you really want a specialized their are far better HT out there for aggressive riding. The HT Levo is really an entry level mountain bike, and nothing wrong with that.

Thomas

Aug 29, 2018
Europe
Am new to this too. Do keep in mind you can even lock the rear suspension on the fly ( while riding ) too, and that turns your FSR into a hard tail. best of both worlds and I don't see why not.

Yes that is true, but when locking rear suspension it is never going to be 100% stiff like HT. There will always be little movements up and down on the back, when climbing on asphalt roads.
But more I'm thinking, I wouldn't be riding more than 30-60 minutes uphill with this bike, on one ride, so could probably live with little movements from the rear suspension.
Regarding New FSR 2019 I think and as I was told from LBS, that only Carbon frames would be totally redesigned, like new Stumpjumper . Aluminium Comp and regular model would probably stay the same?

Last edited:

Thomas

Aug 29, 2018
Europe
I agree with @brilleaux. I am a proud owner of a 2019 Levo HT and have ridden about 400km on it already. It's a blast! We have some amazing trails here in the dutch dunes which i have been riding with a hardtail without ever .........

Can you write the specifications of the components you get with your Comp Levo 2019?
On official FRA site there is no spec. yet, only picture, from where I can only see rear Deore 10 speed derailleur, Stout wheelset.

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
2018 ht brakes: entry lever Shimanos are real suprise. I swapper xt-rotors to them and brakes are quite good now, really.

Danijel

Aug 13, 2018
Netherlands
Yeah the brakes are really good. Can't imagine them being much better. Why are you changing to a xt 11 speed? And you can probably make a good deal with your LBS. I got the dropper post for free.

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
I guess if I go with HT, first things I will swap are definitely rear derailleur, shifter, cassette and chain, with XT 11 speed, which is not a big problem.

I would not bother; 10sp Deore works like a charm. And 10sp is enough, maybe too much, imo.
Put your money for new rotors and dropper post instead, with xt rotors those brakes are bargain. :)

Thomas

Aug 29, 2018
Europe
2018 ht brakes: entry lever Shimanos are real suprise. I swapper xt-rotors to them and brakes are quite good now, really.
Good to hear that.
Don't intend to replace or touch the breaks. Really don't have time and patience, for yet another break reinstalling, bleeding, etc. Had enough work with road disk builds for this year... :whistle:

Danijel one more thing, do you know actual weight of your bike, without the pedals?

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
My 2018 29 HT:s upgrades:
-27.5 Roval traverse wheelset
-Purgatory/Ground control 3" tires
-Rock Shox pike 160mm
-XT brake rotors
-40mm stem
-Dropper post(not installed yet)
I have had lots of mountain bikes, and with this set up Levo is very capable mountain bike and allrounder. It's up to rider now. ;)

LevoHT.jpg

Danijel

Aug 13, 2018
Netherlands
Good to hear that.
Don't intend to replace or touch the breaks. Really don't have time and patience, for yet another break reinstalling, bleeding, etc. Had enough work with road disk builds for this year... :whistle:

Danijel one more thing, do you know actual weight of your bike, without the pedals?

The bike is around 21kg at this point.

Danijel

Aug 13, 2018
Netherlands
My 2018 29 HT:s upgrades:
-27.5 Roval traverse wheelset
-Purgatory/Ground control 3" tires
-Rock Shox pike 160mm
-XT brake rotors
-40mm stem
-Dropper post(not installed yet)
I have had lots of mountain bikes, and with this set up Levo is very capable mountain bike and allrounder. It's up to rider now. ;)

View attachment 4791
Very cool! How do you feel about the wheels? Is there a big difference in comfort?

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
It depends what is big difference. :) There is difference in comfort yes, haven't tried yet very low pressures though.
But overall i prefer 27.5+ much better. It's just feels better on every aspect. :)

I've ridden past 4 years on fatbike so maybe that influences too my opinions. :p

Thomas

Aug 29, 2018
Europe
I would not bother; 10sp Deore works like a charm. And 10sp is enough, maybe too much, imo.
Put your money for new rotors and dropper post instead, with xt rotors those brakes are bargain. :)
Yes I know my old 9 speed Deore on Trekking bike still works like a charm.
I embarrassed to say this, but I just have to have 11 speed or even 12... :ROFLMAO:

Rotors are $9 Shimano Tourney SM-RT10?
You are right, will definitely have to change the rotors.
I use XT SM-RT81.and high end Dura Ace SM-RT900 on my road bike and they performed almost the same.
Or I will just go with XTR RT-MT900. .

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
Check the base model spec - looks like it came from a £500 Halfords Apollo bike - I would need to spend £2000 upgrading components - and I would still "only" have a hard tail.

For the extra Speed and weight you defo need Full sus

Danijel

Aug 13, 2018
Netherlands
Check the base model spec - looks like it came from a £500 Halfords Apollo bike - I would need to spend £2000 upgrading components - and I would still "only" have a hard tail.

For the extra Speed and weight you defo need Full sus

You "need" stamina and technique. You don't need high end specs. But the pricing is off. The 2018 bikes were a better deal for the money.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles