Is it possible for Orbea to up the torque on the EP8 via software?

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
Why when this bike has more than enough power as is and this would drain the battery quicker.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I reckon they wont allow it because my guess is that the battery 'architecture' or layout/design doesnt allow for the high current drain that full ep8 torque would require.

I have nothing to base this on other than gut feel or conjecture on my part- it'd be nice to be wrong on this.

Dan63

Feb 4, 2019
Brisbane
I reckon they wont allow it because my guess is that the battery 'architecture' or layout/design doesnt allow for the high current drain that full ep8 torque would require.

I have nothing to base this on other than gut feel or conjecture on my part- it'd be nice to be wrong on this.
In theory it should be fine, the battery composition will be the same as a Focus Jam/Sam2 @ 376wh

Smythey

Sep 28, 2019
Norwich
I seen someone who owns a rise you are able to increase the power up to 85nm in the stunlocker app,
Once the battery range extender come available in March it wont be a problem using the full 85nm.

Last edited:

Gutch

Sep 10, 2018
South Carolina
I seen someone who owns a rise you are able to increase the power up to 85nm in the stunlocker app,
Once the battery range extender come available in March it would be a problem using the full 85nm.
Cool. Why will the range extender become a problem? Curious, not familiar with stunlocker.

Smythey

Sep 28, 2019
Norwich
sorry a type error
you can download stunlocker on android/apple devices in the App Store
They charge a small one off fee

Gutch

Sep 10, 2018
South Carolina
Any bike repercussions?

Dan63

Feb 4, 2019
Brisbane
Once the battery range extender come available in March it wont be a problem using the full 85nm.
Does it function the same as a regular EP8 after doing this or just increase the maximum output? I remember seeing a torque curve from the Rise and it's slow to ramp up, doesn't give power until high cadence.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
Is this a possibility or is 80 or whatever it is 85nm too much for the frame? Any ideas?

High Rock Ruti

Thanks for starting this. The Orbea Rise with 85 nm would be a real contender, sure it would chew through battery but a short fast blast on an 40 pound bike sounds nice. In terms of the frame? I would think there would be no issues what ever, if it's safe to ride hard over rough terrain, then motor output should not be a factor.

However is the EP8 RS the same motor with software changes, I think I've read that it is. Anyone know?

Warm Regards

Ruti

Smythey

Sep 28, 2019
Norwich
High Rock Ruti

Thanks for starting this. The Orbea Rise with 85 nm would be a real contender, sure it would chew through battery but a short fast blast on an 40 pound bike sounds nice. In terms of the frame? I would think there would be no issues what ever, if it's safe to ride hard over rough terrain, then motor output should not be a factor.

However is the EP8 RS the same motor with software changes, I think I've read that it is. Anyone know?

Warm Regards

Ruti

The Shimano EP8 motor is the same as the Shimano Ep8 Rs motor.
The only different is orbea have detuned the motor and used there own software.

yes it is possible to up the power in stunlocker app to 85NM
if you have the extra power pack you will have 612w
There won’t be much difference with Range from a Shimano EP8 motor with 630W

Marchordie

Aug 4, 2020
Belgium
The Rise is build as a ‘sport’ Emtb , light and fast and with a minimal support for the uphill sections
If you need more power and sufficiënt range with less effort, consider the Wild FS with extra Barrett...

Gutch

Sep 10, 2018
South Carolina
The Rise is build as a ‘sport’ Emtb , light and fast and with a minimal support for the uphill sections
If you need more power and sufficiënt range with less effort, consider the Wild FS with extra Barrett...
Why add the weight? It’s uncorked torque with virtually no weight penalty or handling characteristics. I think it would be an awesome “option”

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
The Shimano EP8 motor is the same as the Shimano Ep8 Rs motor.
The only different is orbea have detuned the motor and used there own software.

yes it is possible to up the power in stunlocker app to 85NM
if you have the extra power pack you will have 612w
There won’t be much difference with Range from a Shimano EP8 motor with 630W

High Rock Ruti

Thanks for the reply. Any idea if the modification shows in the data files when attached to the shop's computer?

Warm Regards Ruti

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
The ep8 motor logs every change to the settings, so yes, it will show on the shop's computer.

Anyway my rise doesn't allow me to choose more than 60nm when using stunlocker, although you can choose more "output power" but not sure how this will affect torque power.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Correct me if I am wrong, but surely the Rise in top power mode will ride very similarly to a normal Steps motor in trail mode, and as such I cant see the need to up the power?

Last edited:

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
The short answer is yes, I usually ride uphill in trail mode. The only "problem" is that sometimes I need the boost mode for some very tough uphills and the power is not enough compared to my giant pro 80nm motor.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
The ep8 motor logs every change to the settings, so yes, it will show on the shop's computer.

Anyway my rise doesn't allow me to choose more than 60nm when using stunlocker, although you can choose more "output power" but not sure how this will affect torque power.

High Rock Ruti

Is it possible to erase the data files or will that require reflashing the entire computer and some dealer only software or interface tool?

Warm Regards

Ruti

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
High Rock Ruti

Is it possible to erase the data files or will that require reflashing the entire computer and some dealer only software or interface tool?

Warm Regards

Ruti
No way to erase all the log files from stunlocker app, not sure about PC app, but probably not possible, even for the dealer because that will break the main purpose of the logs xD

jka

Dec 17, 2020
Nevada, USA
The short answer is yes, I usually ride uphill in trail mode. The only "problem" is that sometimes I need the boost mode for some very tough uphills and the power is not enough compared to my giant pro 80nm motor.

These babies can generate more than 80Nm of torque.

1610387062350.png

Unfortunately, my legs look more like this.

1610387222570.png

ReVolt

Jun 10, 2019
London

Hi have you derestricted your Rise or changed to US 20mph with Stunlocker ? Any thoughts a few weeks on ? I’ve an M10 so thinking about next steps

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles