Best cadence for the Rise / Ep8 Rs

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
Just wondered what you guys considered to be the best / most Efficient cadence for the EP8 RS

I have only ever had one other ebike (Levo brose motor) and that seamed to like 80- 90 best

I feel the Ep8 Rs seams better with a lower cadence of 70 - 80 max ??

just wonder what you guys generally run at

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Depends what you mean by "best"
The old E8000 display had a power assistance bar graphic along the bottom of the screen and you could actually see how much assistance the motor was giving while pedalling at any time. Therefore see efficiency of output live as it were.
The most efficiency being when the rider is outputting more than the motor. And the least when the bar was maxed out and the rider was inputing very little torque/power.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
There's no real finite answer as terrain, gearing and gradient change what's going to be most efficient.
All motors give more range the slower you ride (especially climbing) and the lower the assistance mode

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
The Rise website has a section which says this:

1618181837828.png

But does that mean the best cadence is in that range? ?‍♂️

And for efficiency would you want it to be efficient for the rider or for the battery usage / range?

I tend to prefer a higher cadence in general I think (90-100?) but haven't measured it at all since getting the Rise. I get the feel I'm changing gears more often though compared to my Lapierre Overvolt.

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
But does that mean the best cadence is in that range? ?‍♂️

And for efficiency would you want it to be efficient for the rider or for the battery usage / range?

It's worded confusingly I think. The motor is most efficient at this cadence. What does "efficient" mean? It means converting electric energy into kinetic energy and with minimal heat loss. It means *wasting* less energy.

You affect range by adjusting the amount of power delivered, not by adjusting your cadence. If you want longer range, reduce the power, not your cadence. The motor will always be most efficient at this cadence.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
The Rise website has a section which says this:

View attachment 58311
Marketing bullshit 101 right there bro
But does that mean the best cadence is in that range?
?‍♂️
No. obviously not.
exactly.
and every rider being different. There would be no "most" efficient setting for everyone either way.

I tend to prefer a higher cadence in general I think (90-100?) but haven't measured it at all since getting the Rise. I get the feel I'm changing gears more often though compared to my Lapierre Overvolt.
If you're anything like most riders you'll probably have different preferred comfort zones for cadence depending on terrain, elevation grade and load.
Being comfortable pedalling over a wider range of cadences at low and high power output is far more useful for mtb than trying to match a certain cadence or stay within a set cadence zone in every situation.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
You affect range by adjusting the amount of power delivered, not by adjusting your cadence. If you want longer range, reduce the power, not your cadence. The motor will always be most efficient at this cadence.
That is incorrect

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles