Is the EP8 RS more than just a detuned EP8?

hind-corners

Subscriber
Jul 11, 2022
Europe
Then reducing the setting to 60nm do you have the same result of the ep8 rs, i mean in term of battery duration?
You would also have to change to watts to match the EP8 RS. I don't have EP8, so don't know if its as easy with RS. Addition to this, Assist Character and Assist Start will also affect how you battery is being used.

Borbea

Nov 13, 2022
Sweden
I guess if the LBS replace the motor without entering the RS fw you probably looking at 500W in every setting (eco, trail, boost). So even if you tune the setting to 60Nm (63Nm don‘t think you can adjust to 60Nm in etube when original ep8 mode) it will have peak power at 500W. This will drain the battery more. And the feeling of the motor will be more grunty at low cadence.

RS mode have 150W, 250W and 350W in eco, trail and boost. This will make the feeling of the power a bit more natural as low cadence power is weaker. And you will have 50% more range. This extra range is crucial on the carbon M versions, but the H models does not suffer so much in range due to bigger battery of 540Wh.

The LBS should be able to enter the RS parameters into the motor. Otherwise you can easily do it your self through STunlocker on iphone with bluetooth, but then warranty will probably be effected.

i’ve tried to run both RS and full EP8 on my M10, but stay in RS mode as power is enough and range a lot better. Nicer natural feeling in RS as well.

texano999

Jan 14, 2023
Italy
I guess if the LBS replace the motor without entering the RS fw you probably looking at 500W in every setting (eco, trail, boost). So even if you tune the setting to 60Nm (63Nm don‘t think you can adjust to 60Nm in etube when original ep8 mode) it will have peak power at 500W. This will drain the battery more. And the feeling of the motor will be more grunty at low cadence.

RS mode have 150W, 250W and 350W in eco, trail and boost. This will make the feeling of the power a bit more natural as low cadence power is weaker. And you will have 50% more range. This extra range is crucial on the carbon M versions, but the H models does not suffer so much in range due to bigger battery of 540Wh.

The LBS should be able to enter the RS parameters into the motor. Otherwise you can easily do it your self through STunlocker on iphone with bluetooth, but then warranty will probably be effected.

i’ve tried to run both RS and full EP8 on my M10, but stay in RS mode as power is enough and range a lot better. Nicer natural feeling in RS as well.
What do you mean with acronymum LBS?

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
That's exactly what I was stating. Higher cadence required for assistance, it ramps up more slowly compared to the full EP8/normal e-bike.

If you've ridden a normal road bike and tried the Rise, you will have noticed the power, if you then would have ridden a full power e-bike, you would have been even more amazed!
I'm still wondering about this.

Have Orbea just limited the power and tweaked the settings - all stuff you can do yourself in the Shimano app. I was looking at what it does the other day and the Rise has the 'Assist Character' set pretty low. Looking at the way the latest app version (for the 801) describes assist character and shows this graph, isn't Orbea just setting a max output and an assist character fairly low so that the power comes on at higher inputs?

has anyone tried setting up a standard ep8 to ride like an Rise?

e-tube_profile02_modal.png

texano999

Jan 14, 2023
Italy
To have an ep801 equal to ep801rs you need to act in changing the power limit
Ep801 rs eco 150w trail 250w boost 350w and fine tuning 350w, instead the standard ep801 have all set at 600w. After this action you can adjust torque and assistence

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
To have an ep801 equal to ep801rs you need to act in changing the power limit
Ep801 rs eco 150w trail 250w boost 350w and fine tuning 350w, instead the standard ep801 have all set at 600w. After this action you can adjust torque and assistence
However many times I've read about it I've never really got my head around the difference between power and torque.

NorthernBloke

Sep 17, 2021
Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire
I had my motor replaced, and it came back with a standard EP8 which allowed 85nm in the settings. It certainly felt more powerful.
I then set the settings for eco, trail and Turbo in the app. 85nm is too much imo with front vehicle lift and rear vehicle spin.
As regards battery I think it is about same as I have limited Turbo to 60nm as per the RS.
I certainly think the RS is just software limitation and just a gimmick

texano999

Jan 14, 2023
Italy
However many times I've read about it I've never really got my head around the difference between power and torque.
Pmotor=torque*rpm
Limiting power output is a way to decrease the battery consumption as well as limiting the torque
The RS is working on both….

Last edited:

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
I had my motor replaced, and it came back with a standard EP8 which allowed 85nm in the settings. It certainly felt more powerful.
I then set the settings for eco, trail and Turbo in the app. 85nm is too much imo with front vehicle lift and rear vehicle spin.
As regards battery I think it is about same as I have limited Turbo to 60nm as per the RS.
I certainly think the RS is just software limitation and just a gimmick
What about the cadence? What's really noticeable about the rise is that you actually have to change gear and pedal - and that most of the power comes up at 80rpm and above.

On the full power e-bikes I've ridden the motor response is like the Rise in boost - as soon as you turn the pedals theres immediate power. Which is why you see people trashing their cassettes by riding up steep hills half way down the block. Boost on the rise has the 'assist character' much higher. I'm guessing turning the 'assist character' up in eco and trail would make it ride more like full power bikes but I dont know if that just makes it the same

hind-corners

Subscriber
Jul 11, 2022
Europe
What about the cadence? What's really noticeable about the rise is that you actually have to change gear and pedal - and that most of the power comes up at 80rpm and above.

On the full power e-bikes I've ridden the motor response is like the Rise in boost - as soon as you turn the pedals theres immediate power. Which is why you see people trashing their cassettes by riding up steep hills half way down the block. Boost on the rise has the 'assist character' much higher. I'm guessing turning the 'assist character' up in eco and trail would make it ride more like full power bikes but I dont know if that just makes it the same
No difference in needed cadence to stock FF EP8, when you configure same settings on both. Actually on Rise it feels bit more, since bike itself is so light.

You can make also standard EP8 feel like RS, just by using RS config there.

Anything but doing this in software would be crazy from Shimano/Orbea side.

texano999

Jan 14, 2023
Italy
No difference in needed cadence to stock FF EP8, when you configure same settings on both. Actually on Rise it feels bit more, since bike itself is so light.

RS is not only a torque limited to 60 nm but also a power limitation software. With max peak power 350. It is possible anyway to turn to full power by app emax or Stunlocker and viceversa
RS is not only a torque limited to 60 nm but also a power limitation software. With max peak power 350. It is possible anyway to turn to full power by app emax or Stunlocker and viceversa

hind-corners

Subscriber
Jul 11, 2022
Europe
Yes, without changing power the difference is barely noticeable.

tickle

Dec 8, 2023
Colorado
I have an M series Rise w/stock RS config, I'm happy with power and range for the most part, a little more range in Trail mode would be nice but no complaints. I have a question regarding the Assist levels, what does each level represent in assist % for each mode? I have read it has max 400% assist, in Boost I'm assuming, is this correct? How about in Eco and Trail modes? I use 2/5/8 Assist level settings for each mode, how much do they represent in assist %??

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles