Best carbon wheel for rise

texano999

Jan 14, 2023
Italy
Thinking about this topic i would like a wheel 29 with minimum 28 spokes dt 240 hubs …at least 30 width rim and 1400-1500 weight …suggestion?

iJak

Mar 2, 2022
Vancouver BC
Nobl TR35 + Berd Spokes + i9 Hydra.
1675115427535.jpeg

1675115411882.jpeg IMG_5237.jpeg

Scford

Feb 10, 2021
Santa Cruz
Thinking about this topic i would like a wheel 29 with minimum 28 spokes dt 240 hubs …at least 30 width rim and 1400-1500 weight …suggestion?

Nobl wheels, they’ll hit your weight mark and they’re on the better end for competitive pricing.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Other than the fashion statement a brand name set of carbon wheels makes, I have yet to notice as much of a difference in my riding ability by shaving a few hundred grams off my wheels when compared to gaining 10 kg. That being said, I get far more comments on my WeAreOne wheels than my expanding waistline. I guess that is a good thing. 💁‍♂️

theremotejuggernaut

Aug 2, 2022
UK
Hi, does anyone know the weight of the factory Race Face AR 30c wheelset??

Ta
I happened to weigh mine on Saturday at 987g front/ 1245g rear for a total of 2232g.

That's with Shimano Mt510 hubs. I've seen reports of different hubs being supplied owing to supply chain issues so yours might differ from mine.

LeeS69

Aug 27, 2022
Yorkshire
I happened to weigh mine on Saturday at 987g front/ 1245g rear for a total of 2232g.

That's with Shimano Mt510 hubs. I've seen reports of different hubs being supplied owing to supply chain issues so yours might differ from mine.

Thanks

I suspect I've got the poverty hubs, no branding on them at all....

Was contemplating some Hunts at 1860g to avoid the misery of a hub fail, shouldn't need to really though, 300 quid....!!

400g isn't a deal breaker at all, maybe I'll just push my luck.... :rolleyes:😀

theremotejuggernaut

Aug 2, 2022
UK
Thanks

I suspect I've got the poverty hubs, no branding on them at all....

Was contemplating some Hunts at 1860g to avoid the misery of a hub fail, shouldn't need to really though, 300 quid....!!

400g isn't a deal breaker at all, maybe I'll just push my luck.... :rolleyes:😀
Well...

The reason I weighed my standard wheels is because I was fitting some Hunts.

I weighed the Hunts at 908g front/ 1066g rear so 1974g without the valves and Lockrings (centrelock) so they came in a bit heavier than expected.

Even so, to me its still a noticeable change in how the bike rides. The Hunts have a faster engagement which I've always preferred and the ~200g off the rear wheel does make a difference to the acceleration.

I tend to do longer distance rides rather than winch and plummet trailcentre/ Park riding so small changes like that become noticeable. It's also easier to pedal the thing above the assistance threshold.

After fitting the Hunts, I also removed the DHR2 that was I was running on the back and fitted a 2.4 Dissector. Another 150g saved from the rear and much better rolling resistance from what I can tell so looking forward to seeing the overall difference next time time I'm out.

I think for £300, the hunts are hard to beat. You'd have to spend double elsewhere to get something similar.

Last edited:

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
The AR30 rims aren’t too heavy approx 530g but rear Shimano hub was 480g I would have the rear rebuilt with hub like Spank hex & cx ray spokes hand built wheel superior to likes of hunt wheels etc be around 900g & high pickup

LeeS69

Aug 27, 2022
Yorkshire
Well...

The reason I weighed my standard wheels is because I was fitting some Hunts.

I weighed the Hunts at 908g front/ 1066g rear so 1974g without the valves and Lockrings (centrelock) so they came in a bit heavier than expected.

Even so, to me its still a noticeable change in how the bike rides. The Hunts have a faster engagement which I've always preferred and the ~200g off the rear wheel does make a difference to the acceleration.

I tend to do longer distance rides rather than winch and plummet trailcentre/ Park riding so small changes like that become noticeable. It's also easier to pedal the thing above the assistance threshold.

After fitting the Hunts, I also swapped the DHR2 that was running in the back foenthe Dissector that came up front with the bike. Another 150g saved from the rear and much better rolling resistance from what I can tell so looking forward to seeing the overall difference next time time I'm out.

I think for £300, the hunts are hard to beat. You'd have to spend double elsewhere to get something similar.
I've got some hunts on the road bike, they were a bit heavier than spec too, I think they must fill the rims with helium before they weigh them, they have been good though apart from the shockingly bad/dangerous rim tape they originally installed....
I'm running soft MM/BB combo here in the Pennines and with rimpact strips so the tyre setup is a bit draggy anyway.

theremotejuggernaut

Aug 2, 2022
UK
I've got some hunts on the road bike, they were a bit heavier than spec too, I think they must fill the rims with helium before they weigh them, they have been good though apart from the shockingly bad/dangerous rim tape they originally installed....
I'm running soft MM/BB combo here in the Pennines and with rimpact strips so the tyre setup is a bit draggy anyway.
The 27.5 set that I put on my hardtail were bang on weight wise. I think that's why I was so surprised to see the weight of the 29s.

Suprsised, disappointed... Its all the same really.

Borbea

Nov 13, 2022
Sweden
Ordered Raceface NEXT SL wheelset 1555 grams, from Orbeas homepage today. Brake disc included. 759 EUR!

Fitted the new wheels from Orbea. Hope snow will disappear so I can try them out on quite narly trails. Bike 17.8 kg now. (M10)

If money was not an issue I would love Roval Control SL, 1240 grams.

IMG_1550.jpeg

Last edited:

Pepper75

Jun 17, 2023
UK
Hi, sorry to revive old thread but I am looking to get carbon wheels on my 2022 rise m10. I have had good experience with DT Swiss in the past (on non emtb) so am leaning towards the hxc 1501 spline one. I also notice that DT Swiss now starting to offer LS (Light Support - only slightly lighter for more money than non LS!) and wondered if anyone thought worth the upgrade from the Turbine R wheels that came stock? Also, I presume I want the Shimano microspline version? Thanks

RiseRider

Aug 6, 2023
Germany
i dont want to start a extra thread for this but when buying a new rear wheel what should i watch out for except the axle/size.... i was on a wheel builder website and it asked my if i want asymetric or symetric , what does this mean or what do i need for the rize?? im guessing asymetric?

also is it normal the distance to the forks/rear is 4mm less on one side compared to the other?
i still have my stock wheels on and i noticd the wheels are not 100 percent centered even the laced right and run straight...
it doesnt cause any problems im just curious if it shouldnt be exactly centered...

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
The raceface AR30 rims are asymmetric, the spoke holes are offset so when building a wheel the drive & non drive side spokes will be a similar tension making for a stronger wheel. Other things to look out for MS hub for microspline Shimano 12speed & 12x148 axle length

RiseRider

Aug 6, 2023
Germany
The raceface AR30 rims are asymmetric, the spoke holes are offset so when building a wheel the drive & non drive side spokes will be a similar tension making for a stronger wheel. Other things to look out for MS hub for microspline Shimano 12speed & 12x148 axle length
i want to upgrade to di2 11x linglide , linkglide has normal hg spline thats why i want a new rear wheel :D

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles