Best buy award for the Rise

Obikaii

Jan 10, 2022
Devon
Yeah,it's nice to read it as well,sometimes you think you might be a bit to biased as you've just dropped a load of cash on it,so it's good to see that the opinions are all similar elsewhere.
Now I've done a few hundred kms on mine I'm very happy with my choice, it's actually much better than I hoped it would be.
Aside from the motor & battery it's a very accomplished mountain bike,& suits my riding very well.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
After placing an order in June last year, my Rise was due to be delivered three weeks ago, just when the Spanish truckers decided to go on strike, and have been since. Still waiting …

At least I won’t be riding a brand new bike through the winter slop 😬

Longfellow78

Jan 4, 2022
Hampshire
That article lists the M-team as 20.5kg. Which is stock apart from new tyres and is what, 2.5kg over stated weight? Looking at the other bikes there I'm starting to not see the point of the bike at all. We seem to be living in a timewarp, as everyone constantly parrots that "full fat" ebikes are 25kg+ Well in that comparison, it is not looking so lightweight, and that is with full XTR. Colour me unimpressed :(

Obikaii

Jan 10, 2022
Devon
I'm fairly sure the 20.5kgs is with the range extender fitted,as that was what it was tested with,& it's on the bike in the pictures.

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
I'm fairly sure the 20.5kgs is with the range extender fitted,as that was what it was tested with,& it's on the bike in the pictures.

They list both weights in the article, 20.5 with, 18.92 without extender.

That article lists the M-team as 20.5kg. Which is stock apart from new tyres and is what, 2.5kg over stated weight? Looking at the other bikes there I'm starting to not see the point of the bike at all. We seem to be living in a timewarp, as everyone constantly parrots that "full fat" ebikes are 25kg+ Well in that comparison, it is not looking so lightweight, and that is with full XTR. Colour me unimpressed :(

The M-Team is not a light build, despite the XTR parts. You don't need a 36 on a carbon Rise, nor do you need the reservoir shock, a DPS works great. The wheels are heavy too.

The truth is *most* FF ebikes *are* 25kg+. This test looks at the lightest spec for many of those companies so it's not really representative.

All that being said, I really think Orbea should unlock the RS motor. Even with only the internal battery it would be totally fine for my shorter 1 hour rides, with the option to throw the extender on for longer ones. And for the H bikes there's really no reason to limit the power. But I'm sure they're locked into some agreement with Shimano.

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
I read the test of the Orbea with interest as I wondered if this might be my next bike. However, despite being best in test two things put me off. Firstly they said due to the small 170mm back rotor, the brake can overheat. Surely, a back brake that overheats and doesn’t work properly on long descents is not just a fault, it could be dangerous. The test also didn’t mention that the battery cannot be removed from the bike. Again, this can be a serious issue for some people - anyone who rides in cold weather as we are told one should not charge a battery at temperatures close to freezing, which is certainly my case. I regularly ride with a charger and when getting low on battery I’ll charge up during a coffee or a meal, which stops range anxiety and means I can do really long rides. I’ve never had a cafe owner refuse to let me recharge. This would be impossible with the Orbea. Sadly, this and the brake issue means this is not the bike for me, but I can see if one can charge the bike easily and doesn’t do long descents, the Orbea could be an excellent bike.

Longfellow78

Jan 4, 2022
Hampshire
I read the test of the Orbea with interest as I wondered if this might be my next bike. However, despite being best in test two things put me off. Firstly they said due to the small 170mm back rotor, the brake can overheat. Surely, a back brake that overheats and doesn’t work properly on long descents is not just a fault, it could be dangerous. The test also didn’t mention that the battery cannot be removed from the bike. Again, this can be a serious issue for some people - anyone who rides in cold weather as we are told one should not charge a battery at temperatures close to freezing, which is certainly my case. I regularly ride with a charger and when getting low on battery I’ll charge up during a coffee or a meal, which stops range anxiety and means I can do really long rides. I’ve never had a cafe owner refuse to let me recharge. This would be impossible with the Orbea. Sadly, this and the brake issue means this is not the bike for me, but I can see if one can charge the bike easily and doesn’t do long descents, the Orbea could be an excellent bike.
The rear rotor is 180mm which was considered large until very recently and you can change it for a 203mm rotor for £20 if you want.

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
I read the test of the Orbea with interest as I wondered if this might be my next bike. However, despite being best in test two things put me off. Firstly they said due to the small 170mm back rotor, the brake can overheat. Surely, a back brake that overheats and doesn’t work properly on long descents is not just a fault, it could be dangerous.

The stock brakes on my M-LTD failed on a longish fire road decent. However the stock rotors are 180mm Galfer road bike rotors (I'm not joking, it's literally the road rotor upsized to 180mm). I replaced those with Shimano Freeza rotors and some finned pads and had no further issues. Keep in mind the brakes on that bike are non-servowave 2 piston XTR. They were flawless with these changes.

My point is the diameter of the rotor is only on factor to consider. Said another way, a larger rotor may not result in any noticeable improvement.

Longfellow78

Jan 4, 2022
Hampshire
The stock brakes on my M-LTD failed on a longish fire road decent. However the stock rotors are 180mm Galfer road bike rotors (I'm not joking, it's literally the road rotor upsized to 180mm). I replaced those with Shimano Freeza rotors and some finned pads and had no further issues. Keep in mind the brakes on that bike are non-servowave 2 piston XTR. They were flawless with these changes.

My point is the diameter of the rotor is only on factor to consider. Said another way, a larger rotor may not result in any noticeable improvement.
How come the xtr brakes are not servowave? I thought that was shimano's standard disc brake lever?

cookie70

Mar 23, 2022
Central Coast, Australia
If the biggest complaint is the rotor on the rear is "too small" that shows how well rounded the package is.

I guess if your a big person riding it could be a problem, me at 90kg have never run anything but 180mm on all my bikes on the rear. As already mentioned, its an easy fix if its a problem.

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
How come the xtr brakes are not servowave? I thought that was shimano's standard disc brake lever?
The XTR "Race" brakes are not servo-wave. These are the 2-piston ones that come with composite levers. BL-M9100
EDIT: Just for trivia: nothing lower spec than Deore 6000 is servo-wave either. This includes the cheaper Deore 4100, as well as the MT401 brakes that come on the H30.

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
If the biggest complaint is the rotor on the rear is "too small" that shows how well rounded the package is.

I guess if your a big person riding it could be a problem, me at 90kg have never run anything but 180mm on all my bikes on the rear. As already mentioned, its an easy fix if its a problem.
I agree. I weigh 190 pounds and I'm running 203 front/ 180mm rear RT-86 rotors with my stock 4 pot Shimano 8120 brakes and they stop at the same point as my 27 pound trail bike with 2 pot Shimano 8000 brakes. My M10 with Float X weighs 41.25 pounds.

Obikaii

Jan 10, 2022
Devon
I weigh about 168lbs without kit so probably around the 172lbs kitted up,I haven't changed the discs yet,& they work fine on my local trails,but I am planning on a 203mm for the front as I think I'll need it for the faster descents in the dry weather & the odd trip to Bike park Wales & other places with longer descents.

May 4, 2018
Canberra

BobR

Apr 14, 2021
Florida
I really like to jump and feel a lot more agile on this bike rather than a full fat… my friend as a turbo Levo and he is pretty new at it and that bike allows him to ride trails above his skill level (flow trails) that I know with a lighter bike he could not do it.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
No one probably cares, but I do, so I’m going to share my good news anyway! My bike has landed at the lbs, should be ready to collect in a few days 🤩🤩🤩 expect a whole tsunami of Rise photos soon 😆

And here she is sat in the lbs waiting her turn for the workshop, asked the shop to send me a photo

M20 but swapped the forks for FOX 36

Having the brakes swapped to Magura MT5 with 203mm rotor up front, tyres being changed to DHR, Invisiframe

Obviously I have peddles, grips and other minor accessories to fit too

901CE930-FCC0-4648-AECD-BABA5BA7A220.jpeg

Excited 🤩

May 4, 2018
Canberra
And here she is sat in the lbs waiting her turn for the workshop, asked the shop to send me a photo

M20 but swapped the forks for FOX 36

Having the brakes swapped to Magura MT5 with 203mm rotor up front, tyres being changed to DHR, Invisiframe

Obviously I have peddles, grips and other minor accessories to fit too

View attachment 84905

Excited 🤩
Lucky boy.... a 6 month wait here downunder

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Does the rise use an orbea battery? I'm always a wary of proprietary parts. It's not a problem if you don't keep the bike long enough to have to replace the battery, but otherwise...Or is it possible to repack the battery with 21700 cells or whatever they're using?

They didn't like the trek 😂

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles