EP8 RS motor noise on Rise

tlam

Apr 6, 2022
CO
Wondering what owner experiences have been with noise level - I've heard that the EP8 clunks when freewheeling, but otherwise is pretty quiet? Looking at an H 30

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
I have a rise (carbon model ) and the General Motor noise isn’t bad at all high cadence or low cadence
You do get the rattle when riding over bumps and downhill etc ( this is a characteristic of the ep8 motor tho ) quite easy to ignore and I really don’t notice it unless I make point of listen for it

I had a Levo sl before and the general ep8 rs is quieter then the sl was

Malicefox

Apr 21, 2022
USA
Personally, I haven't noticed any odd sounds from my EP8. Was riding this weekend with my wife on her stumpjumper and you couldn't really tell I was on the e-bike unless we were climbing, and the motor was working harder. Even then, it's a low whirring sound and easily drowned out by the sounds of the tires in the dirt. So far, mine isn't making a noticeable clunking, but it is brand new with less than 20 miles on it so maybe it gets louder as it breaks in?

tlam

Apr 6, 2022
CO
I had a Levo sl before and the general ep8 rs is quieter then the sl was [/QUOTE said:
Thanks, rode an SL Comp which a lot of dealers are selling for 25% off because they're introducing a new version - to compete with the Rise. It did have a bit of whine in Turbo.

cookie70

Mar 23, 2022
Central Coast, Australia
My M10 is fine when pedaling or freewheeling on smooth ground. If its rough and I'm attacking with pedals level freewheeling it sounds like a can of marbles!
Not ideal, I guess that is just the way it is!

jcismo1

Jul 22, 2021
Colorado
Has anyone else noticed a clicking noise while pedaling, when you just start riding? It seems to go away after a few miles, maybe as the motor gets warmed up. I stopped a couple of times and pulled the left crank at the clamp area, (where it attaches to the crankshaft). I noticed quite a bit of end play. It’s strange, after I pull the crankshaft back and forth, (as you would, to check for end play) the noise goes away even though the motor isn’t warmed up.
My bike is a Rise M10, with approximately 2600 miles on it. A17C1522-DFFA-427B-A2FB-24FCF1320A17.jpeg

Longfellow78

Jan 4, 2022
Hampshire
My h15 makes the same whirring sound when under load, but descending with flat pedals is dead silent. Not a clunk or rattle to be heard. I don't know why.

Ant_N_Robbo

Jan 5, 2023
Nottingham NG10, UK
So far I'm happy with the noise level from the EP8 RS. I think it sounds a bit like the noise you may get from a wind up radio when it's working. You cn hear it but it's not intrusive and is masked by other noises coming from ground contact and mu own internal huffing and puffing.

Arseni

Apr 24, 2021
Batumi, Georgia republic
Has anyone else noticed a clicking noise while pedaling, when you just start riding? It seems to go away after a few miles, maybe as the motor gets warmed up. I stopped a couple of times and pulled the left crank at the clamp area, (where it attaches to the crankshaft). I noticed quite a bit of end play. It’s strange, after I pull the crankshaft back and forth, (as you would, to check for end play) the noise goes away even though the motor isn’t warmed up.
My bike is a Rise M10, with approximately 2600 miles on it. View attachment 92006
It's been a while. Did you figure it out? My Merida e160 is doing exactly that - clicks at the beginning of every ride. Sometimes for 5K, sometimes 10K. The click happens around the same phase or pedal rotation - whan I push hard woth my right foot.
Looks like it goes away much faster on climbs, so it almost feels like something is warming up in there.

Also - it gets louder if I don't ride for a few days and always disappears if I ride every day. It's been like that almost since the bike was new and I think it gets ever slightly louder now when I'm at 2600KM.

I'll try making a video of what it's like.

jcismo1

Jul 22, 2021
Colorado
It's been a while. Did you figure it out? My Merida e160 is doing exactly that - clicks at the beginning of every ride. Sometimes for 5K, sometimes 10K. The click happens around the same phase or pedal rotation - whan I push hard woth my right foot.
Looks like it goes away much faster on climbs, so it almost feels like something is warming up in there.

Also - it gets louder if I don't ride for a few days and always disappears if I ride every day. It's been like that almost since the bike was new and I think it gets ever slightly louder now when I'm at 2600KM.

I'll try making a video of what it's like.
My Rise now has over 4300 miles on it and the noise seems to have gone away. When it was happening, I had a lot fewer miles on it. One thing that I noticed, was that when it was making the noise; If I stopped and pulled the crank, side to side, it would almost always make the noise disappear. There has always been, what I’d consider to be, a lot of end play. Maybe around .010”. Anyway, I’d say, just ride it and have fun!

ZXR_Power

Jul 3, 2023
Germany
I‘ve got the same clicking noise on my H10 MY 2023. Always at the beginning of my ride. It clicks when pedaling harder. I can feel this on my right foot when the right crank is on top. After the motor warmed up nothing more to hear and feel. My bike has got around 1500km. My wife‘s H20 MY 2023 does the same. It has got 600km.

Arseni

Apr 24, 2021
Batumi, Georgia republic
Here is what mine sounds like:

Sorry for poor sound but I think the clicks on1st two rotations of the pedals are pretty loud.
Tried to push and pull the cranks before this test - looks like it made no difference.

Arseni

Apr 24, 2021
Batumi, Georgia republic
I‘ve got the same clicking noise on my H10 MY 2023. Always at the beginning of my ride. It clicks when pedaling harder. I can feel this on my right foot when the right crank is on top. After the motor warmed up nothing more to hear and feel. My bike has got around 1500km. My wife‘s H20 MY 2023 does the same. It has got 600km.
Mine is also - right crank at the top (maybe just slightly past that phase)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles