Orbea Rise Range Extender installation and screws torque

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
Hi!

I have just received my orbea rise range extender and while installing I noticed the manual says to use 5nm of torque for the bolts.

I tried that without noticing the battery support is all plastic and has no metal inserts or reinforcements. Before reaching the 5nm I noticed the screw had already deformed the plastic and made its way into the support.

I have already contacted orbea and LBS and I am waiting for a response, but NEVER install the extender support with more than 1NM!!! (use just your hand until it is hard, just the way you would do with a normal bottle support).

The part is cheap and can be easily replaced but this is very dangerous, I just hope I have not damaged the frame nor the original inserts.

IMG-5156.jpg
IMG-5157.jpg
IMG-5158.jpg
IMG-5159.jpg

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
generally with a plastic part like that I add a shakeproof washer that will dig into the plastic and stop the screw from loosening due to vibration, surprised they didn't supply them.
That is more or less how I have ended, with half of the screw head digged intro the plastic. One this is for sure, it won't get loose easily xD

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
2NM I have used but I should have used 1NM or less.
Thanks for your help.

jim0905

Dec 10, 2020
West Yorkshire
Hi!

I have just received my orbea rise range extender and while installing I noticed the manual says to use 5nm of torque for the bolts.

I tried that without noticing the battery support is all plastic and has no metal inserts or reinforcements. Before reaching the 5nm I noticed the screw had already deformed the plastic and made its way into the support.

I have already contacted orbea and LBS and I am waiting for a response, but NEVER install the extender support with more than 1NM!!! (use just your hand until it is hard, just the way you would do with a normal bottle support).

The part is cheap and can be easily replaced but this is very dangerous, I just hope I have not damaged the frame nor the original inserts.

IMG-5156.jpg
IMG-5157.jpg
IMG-5158.jpg
IMG-5159.jpg
I'll bear this in mind if mine ever arrives. Was due in 23/04 that's now changed to awaiting update from supplier :mad:

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
Yeah! I Think a small mark on the plastic should be ok but mine was too deep. Anyway I am only worried about the frame suffering from this torque but the plastic got the mark very easy so I really doubt it got any stress.

now it is really tight and is usable 100% but the support got deformed and I like it to be in good condition! I really expect a free replacement from orbea next week. will let you know if this happens.

just tigthen by hand a little tighter you would do for a bottle support.

cheers! Estimated range lol:

F27388CF-AC84-49BA-9BA8-73BA03C5E5D0.jpeg

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
It is a great addon, small and very well constructed. It is lightweight, however you will notice it specially while climbing.
I like the fact that you connect it and you don't need to switch it on individually, it will be used as you switch on your bike.

You won't be able to charge both batteries at the same time, you will need two chargers for that :(

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-24 at 13.15.30.jpeg

jim0905

Dec 10, 2020
West Yorkshire
It is a great addon, small and very well constructed. It is lightweight, however you will notice it specially while climbing.
I like the fact that you connect it and you don't need to switch it on individually, it will be used as you switch on your bike.

You won't be able to charge both batteries at the same time, you will need two chargers for that :(

View attachment 59685
Can you post a pic of it connected up please?

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
Orbea answered my email saying that 5NM is the correct torque... unbelievable. They also attached a picture of the extender using washers while the original manual did not.

They did not even offer a replacement. However my LBS offered a free replacement.

I wish people will not use 5NM of they will damage more supports or even frames :(

jim0905

Dec 10, 2020
West Yorkshire
How you getting on with the extender? What sort of range you getting in the real world? Mine is now showing as due from the supplier for the 11th of May. Hopefully it won't get put back again ??

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
Very good. With the integrated battery I was getting a range similar to a 500wh battery in a full ebike, so with the extender is something like 700wh+

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
Orbea answered my email saying that 5NM is the correct torque... unbelievable. They also attached a picture of the extender using washers while the original manual did not.

They did not even offer a replacement. However my LBS offered a free replacement.

I wish people will not use 5NM of they will damage more supports or even frames :(

Now I wish I'd read this thread before. I'm still in the process of stripping and rebuilding our two bikes (replacing rear brake means motor and battery out). Now I'd not worry about cracking the frame - theres a solid mount on the other side of the carbon tube that you're screwing into which should spread the load. However, as you point out the Range Extender manual specifically says 'don't use washers' whereas the shop had supplied mine with one washer fitted.

First go, with the washers in and torque wrench set to 4nm one of the bolt heads snapped clean off - I mean, I know they're trying to keep the weight of the bike down but using aluminium bolts is a step too far (expecisallly for something like a bottle cage that actually gets subjected to pretty heavy loads).

I've replaced with steel bolts, but took the washers out and even at 4nm it has heavily bitten into the plastic.

It's lovely that Orbea provide such good instructions but no damn use if they're littered with errors.

I reckon definitely replace the ally bolts (they say to only use their bolts but its the length that's important - the battery is behind this) with steel. And use a washer. will take mine off again tomorrow and survey the damage.

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
Still waiting for my extender and reading this might be enough for me to cancel it !!!!

What size are the bolts just to see if I can source some steel ones

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
Orbea need to make a Y cable like Spec' do for the Levo SL. I've sent them a mail suggesting it already - no reason I can see that the battery charger couldn't charge both batteries at once (albeit more slowly)

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
Battery support replaced by orbea, now installed with washers and much much better

010C95E8-E47A-40A1-B94F-233A5FD96F78.jpeg

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
Still waiting for my extender and reading this might be enough for me to cancel it !!!!
What size are the bolts just to see if I can source some steel ones

it's a lovely thing and the cage is well engineered. Just needs proper bolts (the thing weighs 1.5kg, the 2g saving on bolts isn't going to kill you) and instructions.

Bolts are 5mm diameter (m5) and 10mm threaded length - a pretty standard bottle cage bolt which is why I guess I had some in my 'box of unused bolts'

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
Aluminum M5 bolts? Jeeze that's pretty ridiculous. Motor bolts are also aluminum, they've started deforming with only one removal. Hopefully I won't need another!

I also don't at all understand the obsession with specifying no washers? That seems like a really strange pedantic detail to focus on and document in the manual. Why would it cause any harm to use washers on a plastic part? Are they worried about the aluminum bolt galling with a washer? Or maybe they're worried about adequate thread insertion (just use a longer bolt?!)?

ReVolt

Jun 10, 2019
London
Can anyone confirm how the motor utilises the integrated battery and extender together ? For instance if you did one trail lap without the extender and used say half the integrated battery (190wh), then got to your car and fitted the extender, would you have full use of the remaining 190wh plus the 270wh ? Or can it only use the batteries concurrently so 190wh and 190wh such that the bike would be dead despite having 80wh left unused in the extender ? Sorry I haven’t explained this very well but hopefully get the drift. ?

ReVolt

Jun 10, 2019
London
The manual explains it IIRC
I suppose my point is, if the extender has more juice than the main battery at the point the extender is hooked up, will the motor make full use of the combined power. The examples in the manual don’t illustrate this particular scenario

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
Manual says when the extender is attached it runs it down first, then uses the internal when the extender is dead.

but given all the other incorrect info who knows.

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
Good luck for anybody waiting for these in the Uk

I have been promised over and over again by my lbs different dates and last I heard it was GUARANTEED this week

well called then and been told another SIX WEEKS !!!!!!
Apparently according to orbea there stuck at the port And are six weeks away

I then decided to call leisure lakes to order one through them only to be told that they won’t be getting any more of them is there impossible to get hold of I then tried tredz And was told pretty much the same so good luck anybody trying to get their hands on one of these

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles