Orbea Rise Range Extender use

Alan O

Jul 26, 2022
London
I have just bought a range extender for my M Rise and took it out today for the 1st time in the Surrey Hills and was really impressed with the range available, I did 30miles and only used about 60% of the combined batteries.
I did have one issue, when I stopped for a break and turned the power off, it would not switch back on, when I pressed the on switch the display would flash on and bleep and switch immediately off. To get it back working I had to fully disconnect the range extender then reconnect it - this worked and I carried on my ride.
Can anyone out there tell me how I can overcome this issue, surely you don't have to do this every time you switch the bike off.
Thanks Alan

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
I have just bought a range extender for my M Rise and took it out today for the 1st time in the Surrey Hills and was really impressed with the range available, I did 30miles and only used about 60% of the combined batteries.
I did have one issue, when I stopped for a break and turned the power off, it would not switch back on, when I pressed the on switch the display would flash on and bleep and switch immediately off. To get it back working I had to fully disconnect the range extender then reconnect it - this worked and I carried on my ride.
Can anyone out there tell me how I can overcome this issue, surely you don't have to do this every time you switch the bike off.
Thanks Alan
Alan,

The wiring harness on the Rise creates an electrical loop when the range extender cable is plugged into the frame port. If connectivity with the range extender is lost while the cable is plugged into the frame port, the bike will sense power from the range extender battery has been lost and power off. It will do this even if the frame battery is fully charged.

Note: When you use your range extender, the bike will use the range extender first and then the frame battery last. If you use a Shimano computer such as the SC-E7000, etc., when you drop to three bars, this means the range extender has been depleted and you are now starting to use the frame battery.

When the range extender and cable are new, the charging port and cable leads can be a bit tight. This may cause the power cord to feel like it is fully inserted when it's actually not. If the cable is not fully engaged (Either the frame port or battery port) and the cable heads locked into place, the cable may jiggle slightly and cause a break in electrical connection. When this happens, it will do exactly what you have described.

I've had similar experiences on several occasions. The issue was caused by either not pushing the cable in far enough to engage the lock or there was dirt build up on the cable heads which hindered their being fully plugged in. Occasionally, I give the cable a wipe down with some silicon spray lubricant or something similar. This greatly improves the ease of plugging in the cable ends. I also occasionally shoot a shot of air into the ports themselves to blow out any dirt or debris.

If you make sure the locking tabs are engaged, you'll never have a problem with loosing range extender connection.

Chhers,
Rod

Alan O

Jul 26, 2022
London
Alan,

The wiring harness on the Rise creates an electrical loop when the range extender cable is plugged into the frame port. If connectivity with the range extender is lost while the cable is plugged into the frame port, the bike will sense power from the range extender battery has been lost and power off. It will do this even if the frame battery is fully charged.

Note: When you use your range extender, the bike will use the range extender first and then the frame battery last. If you use a Shimano computer such as the SC-E7000, etc., when you drop to three bars, this means the range extender has been depleted and you are now starting to use the frame battery.

When the range extender and cable are new, the charging port and cable leads can be a bit tight. This may cause the power cord to feel like it is fully inserted when it's actually not. If the cable is not fully engaged (Either the frame port or battery port) and the cable heads locked into place, the cable may jiggle slightly and cause a break in electrical connection. When this happens, it will do exactly what you have described.

I've had similar experiences on several occasions. The issue was caused by either not pushing the cable in far enough to engage the lock or there was dirt build up on the cable heads which hindered their being fully plugged in. Occasionally, I give the cable a wipe down with some silicon spray lubricant or something similar. This greatly improves the ease of plugging in the cable ends. I also occasionally shoot a shot of air into the ports themselves to blow out any dirt or debris.

If you make sure the locking tabs are engaged, you'll never have a problem with loosing range extender connection.

Chhers,
Rod
Hi Rod
Thanks for the reply, I will do as you have advised, hopefully this will resolve the problem.
Alan

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles