Orbea Rise Range Extender installation and screws torque

jim0905

Dec 10, 2020
West Yorkshire
Sounds like that's a possibility . Hopefully shop or anyone closer to you can try another cable

Spoke to my nearest Orbea dealer this morning, Leisure Lakes, who put me in touch with the Orbea rep. Spoke to him and he's not far from me and is calling to my house this afternoon. He has a Rise with him so i can try the extender on that so at least I can see if it's the extender that's the problem or my Rise

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
Yeah very good and lucky. Anyway looks like it's the extender (or lead} as his Rise didnt recognise it. Its now on it its way back to Sprocket Cycles
Sorry to hear of your problems I got mine from sprockets too haven’t used it yet so hope it’s not a bad batch and mines the same going to try it out on Sunday

could someone tell me how does the extender system work

for example main battery and extender say are both fully charged ,does the extender empty first or the main battery first or do they run and discharge at the same time ?

DanMcDan

Mar 18, 2021
Torquay
Sorry to hear of your problems I got mine from sprockets too haven’t used it yet so hope it’s not a bad batch and mines the same going to try it out on Sunday

could someone tell me how does the extender system work

for example main battery and extender say are both fully charged ,does the extender empty first or the main battery first or do they run and discharge at the same time ?
What Steve wrote, uses the full extender first then main battery, just a note, the battery percentage on the garmin shows 100% from both being fully charged, at about 60% it is the main battery being used.

jim0905

Dec 10, 2020
West Yorkshire
No , you have to press the button on the extender , it then lights up to show remaining bars
Ah right the rep said today that they should light up when connected to the bike. He also tried plugging the extender into the bike when the bike was on which he said, as per the manual, that that should shut the bike off if you do that. His bike didn't shut down so he was 99% confident it was the extender or lead at fault

Steve G H

Nov 22, 2020
Sleaford
I'll go try it in a minute , if it lights up initially they definitely don't stay illuminated because I was pressing the button during the ride to check how it was discharging

DanMcDan

Mar 18, 2021
Torquay
Ah right the rep said today that they should light up when connected to the bike. He also tried plugging the extender into the bike when the bike was on which he said, as per the manual, that that should shut the bike off if you do that. His bike didn't shut down so he was 99% confident it was the extender or lead at fault
Mine definitely doesn’t light up when connected, only light up after press the button for two seconds

Steve G H

Nov 22, 2020
Sleaford
Ok so I connected the extender then powered up the bike , no lights on extender illuminate . I then tried connecting the extender while the bike was switched on , that does indeed cause the bike to switch off.

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
I know range comes down to a lot of factor but any idea of a approx range ( main battery and extender ) on say a completely flat ride gravel and tarmac no climbing all in ECO

80 miles ??? Maybe

jim0905

Dec 10, 2020
West Yorkshire
I know range comes down to a lot of factor but any idea of a approx range ( main battery and extender ) on say a completely flat ride gravel and tarmac no climbing all in ECO

80 miles ??? Maybe
Reckon it's doable depending on your weight and what tyres you're running. I'm a touch over 15 stone and I did a ride last week all in eco and managed 38.5 mile and 3100ft of climbing and finished with 10% battery so a flat ride with the extender should get you to 80.

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
Done 45 miles on the rise today all in eco around the new Forrest and highcliff Lymington area and didn’t even use the main battery
After 45 miles the range extender had one bar showing amazing range !!!!
BD8AC3BC-E804-4C26-B39F-B1F05A7C6E03.jpeg
8A580EBB-9C8C-4D73-8055-A4A8DDC1ABB9.jpeg
5DEC2F0B-A83B-4004-9C50-CA02D02EB824.jpeg

jim0905

Dec 10, 2020
West Yorkshire
Got the replacement battery today and its doing the same as before, bike doesn't recognise it. Can't have had 2 faulty batteries so it's definitely the bike. The only thing I can think of is that error which a lot of us got after the firmware update the other month. Any of you extender owners still showing that error and having no problems? Just trying to rule possibilities out.
Screenshot_20210620-175122_E-TUBE.jpg

jim0905

Dec 10, 2020
West Yorkshire
Just had the bike down at my local shop on the diagnostics. Checked everything and couldn't find an error anywhere on battery, motor etc. Updated to latest firmware 4.1.5 I think it was and now when I connect with tbe Etube app I have 2 of the E01003 errors ?.
Orbea Rep said to let him know how I got on when the new battery came. Texted him yesterday morning, still no reply, just rang him, no answer ?

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
Although this is no help to you I think it’s safe to say I won’t ever be updating my software
Sean very very risky I hope it get sort for you so you can enjoy your bike

jim0905

Dec 10, 2020
West Yorkshire
Although this is no help to you I think it’s safe to say I won’t ever be updating my software
Sean very very risky I hope it get sort for you so you can enjoy your bike
I mean the bike itself is fine if I take the extender out of the equation. I just can't be arsed having to send it back and wait ages for it to be sorted

Edmu

Jun 29, 2021
Puerto Rico
Orbea answered my email saying that 5NM is the correct torque... unbelievable. They also attached a picture of the extender using washers while the original manual did not.

They did not even offer a replacement. However my LBS offered a free replacement.

I wish people will not use 5NM of they will damage more supports or even frames :(

Any chance your torque tool needs adjustment?

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
Any chance your torque tool needs adjustment?
Hi,

thanks for your answer but that is not the case, I compared it some weeks ago with a brand new one from a friend, and some others have confirmed 5NM is too much for plastic.

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
I did mine to 2 nm with washers under the heads and it’s perfect
No deformed plastic and after several long rides they haven’t come loose

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles