Giant reign 2022 frame cracking

Jurassic

Subscriber
Jul 22, 2022
Helensburgh, Scotland.
Giant offers Lifetime warranty on the frame, so I wouldn't worry at all.
My friend had an ancient 26er carbon framed Trance and he spotted a crack in it and Giant managed to find him a replacement (new) frame for his bike. It must have been lying in the back of a warehouse somewhere gathering dust! One of the reasons I went for a Giant ebike was because I had so much faith in their warranty support.

Curt_H

Apr 3, 2022
Twin lakes, CO
Why minimise the experience of these people?
I'm not sure it minimizes their experience in any way.

Guessing everyone reading this forum feels really bad for these folks after dropping thousands on an EMTB to have this happen. Truly sucks and anyone (probably) could relate.

I think the comment was offered to remind of context. Easy enough to fall in the trap assuming that anyone who bought a reign (or Giant) recently, or might, can expect this to happen. Until there's more evidence, I highly doubt that's at all the case. Forums are a great place to share but clearly that sharing more often revolves around bad experiences, and loses the balance of the good ones.

I see postings all the time regarding most manufacturers that would make me hesitate buying that bike. Probably unfairly....

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Fair comment and a lot of what appear to be common issues with whatever kit can be attributed to how folk use that kit......................but when any examples comes to light of a frame structural failure, it is more likely than not that every frame using the same manufacture/construction process is likely to fail and apart from their owners using the bike way beyond its intended category of use, it is hard to see that the issue can be caused by misuse. That said the difference between those that fail and those that do not ( or have not yet) can only be the amount of stress different riders on different terrain apply to that joint.

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
Fair comment and a lot of what appear to be common issues with whatever kit can be attributed to how folk use that kit......................but when any examples comes to light of a frame structural failure, it is more likely than not that every frame using the same manufacture/construction process is likely to fail and apart from their owners using the bike way beyond its intended category of use, it is hard to see that the issue can be caused by misuse. That said the difference between those that fail and those that do not ( or have not yet) can only be the amount of stress different riders on different terrain apply to that joint.

Nah. I am pretty sure I'm pushing this thing. Hack to flat is my second name. Massive stair gap is 3rd. The frame is fine. Until it's not I guess ;).

c.hilleard

Jan 3, 2023
Wellington
The frames not fine in my profesional opinion
I've broken all but 2 frames I've ever owned, I expect them to break in 6-12months use, the worst outside of 6 months is 9 rides which was an outlier and again a weak design.
Im a mechanical engineer with long experience in mechanical failures acrross a range of industries and failure modes and I've never had a failure in the first hour of use from any product.
I found out another local guy cracked his reign in a couple of days, not all that break come to a forum, this new frame manufacturing method is not appropriate for mountain biking at the higher force loading end of its intended use.

Giant replied to my warranty claim.

Wheel: No warranty due to impact damage, the impact damage was not visible because I had a cushcore installed and the non evident impact failure miraculously converted to a torsional failure. 100% cop-out. The wheel twisted from cornering forces and being of a poor quality slip join rim and wheel build.

Frame: warranty under goodwill only due to heavy impact damage, evident by a scratch on the brake leaver the ispec shifter mount had a crack on one side and scuffing on the cranks from my shoes pedling.

This is a clear case of a suboptimal product and even worse product back up from the lbs and the manufacturer.

However this situation lands it will be the last giant mtb I buy and possibly the last mtb.

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
I've broken all but 2 frames I've ever owned, I expect them to break in 6-12months use, the worst outside of 6 months is 9 rides which was an outlier and again a weak design.
Im a mechanical engineer with long experience in mechanical failures acrross a range of industries and failure modes and I've never had a failure in the first hour of use from any product.
I found out another local guy cracked his reign in a couple of days, not all that break come to a forum, this new frame manufacturing method is not appropriate for mountain biking at the higher force loading end of its intended use.

Wheel: No warranty due to impact damage, the impact damage was not visible because I had a cushcore installed and the non evident impact failure miraculously converted to a torsional failure. 100% cop-out. The wheel twisted from cornering forces and being of a poor quality slip join rim and wheel build.

Frame: warranty under goodwill only due to heavy impact damage, evident by a scratch on the brake leaver the ispec shifter mount had a crack on one side and scuffing on the cranks from my shoes pedling.

This is a clear case of a suboptimal product and even worse product back up from the lbs and the manufacturer.

However this situation lands it will be the last giant mtb I buy and possibly the last mtb.

So you are so deeply offended by the situation that you won't buy MTB bicycle ever again. To be honest I didn't know that one has this kind of choice in life 😂. Let the force be with you.

Wilbur

Dec 12, 2022
New Zealand
So you are so deeply offended by the situation that you won't buy MTB bicycle ever again. To be honest I didn't know that one has this kind of choice in life 😂. Let the force be with you.
I’d also be pissed at Giant if I was in that situation and they fobbed off a known design flaw as the rider’s fault (downtube crack).

Jurassic

Subscriber
Jul 22, 2022
Helensburgh, Scotland.
I’d also be pissed at Giant if I was in that situation and they fobbed off a known design flaw as the rider’s fault (downtube crack).
Yeah me too. I have faith in my lbs (and they would be my point of contact with Giant) based on many years of dealing with them and being friends with the owner so I'm confident if I suffer the cracked frame issue I'll be dealt with well but what c.hilleard is describing falls well short of what I'd expect and I'd feel the same way if it were me.

c.hilleard

Jan 3, 2023
Wellington
Your question is off topic, but to answer, It's not a matter of personal offense, It's simply a case that I can't afford to ride enduro or E mtb's with the current products available. I have a few mates that range from $50-100k in 2 years trying to ride specislized E mtbs, and it looks like this bike will be that sort of result.

I had a good 2 weeks and 800km of hard riding on my first 2019 trance with only the typical fox 36 csu failure and 3 rim failures, so thought this giant would be fine, it's not and I have no faith in any other products available.

Wilbur

Dec 12, 2022
New Zealand
Yep, it’s not a cheap pastime, but then what technology based recreation is?
You live in Wellington which has a few reasonable surf breaks - I can attest to the much more affordable nature of that sport, esp if you have an EV or hybrid

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
Your question is off topic, but to answer, It's not a matter of personal offense, It's simply a case that I can't afford to ride enduro or E mtb's with the current products available. I have a few mates that range from $50-100k in 2 years trying to ride specislized E mtbs, and it looks like this bike will be that sort of result.

I had a good 2 weeks and 800km of hard riding on my first 2019 trance with only the typical fox 36 csu failure and 3 rim failures, so thought this giant would be fine, it's not and I have no faith in any other products available.

There was no question mate. Just pure good old sarcasm.

Yetibos

Jan 28, 2020
Spain

this is not an structural issue...is only the material to cover the welding. Wrong procedure during the manufacturing...that's why you will face this problem even on brand new bikes just out of the box.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
this is not an structural issue...is only the material to cover the welding. Wrong procedure during the manufacturing...that's why you will face this problem even on brand new bikes just out of the box.
No offence but any crack (like the many on this topic) in a frame is a structural issue. In some cases filler has cracked in other cases the frame has cracked right through.

Let's hope Giant has learnt some lessons for the 2023 Reigns and Trances

c.hilleard

Jan 3, 2023
Wellington
My frame is twisted about 4 degrees, so 100% a structural failure in my case, reign frame is the same fundamental design but could be stronger?

Here's my reasoning why I disagree with you 100%
Its a structural issue in every other case, NOT "the material covering the welding" aka, paint system, because, if paint is cracking its an indication of excessive deflection in a component, YES paint system dependant of course, but in my case it did have a structural failure which is a dead give away the paint system failures are caused by an underlying structural issue. You could be partly correct in that this structural issue is exaggerated (cracking visible in a matter of hours in some cases) by the paint system, I think I read Giant have used a filler under the paint?.
However,
If failures where isolated to paint failures only, then it would be an improper paint system specification and not structural, Giant could just change their paint system to a more flexible paint, which wouldn't have stopped my frame from twisting and I would hazard a guess even a flexible paint system from cracking long term (more than a few hours or weeks).

So theres no question in my mind these reign and trance frames are not fit for purpose in heavy use applications such as mountain biking and I'm confident a lot of heavier use owners of these bikes will start to see underlying frame material failures in the near future, time will tell.

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
My frame is twisted about 4 degrees, so 100% a structural failure in my case, reign frame is the same fundamental design but could be stronger?

Its a structural issue in every other case, NOT "the material covering the welding" aka, paint system, because, if paint is cracking its an indication of excessive deflection in a component, YES paint system dependant of course, but in my case it did have a structural failure which is a dead give away the paint system failures are caused by an underlying structural issue. You could be partly correct in that this structural issue is exaggerated (cracking visible in a matter of hours in some cases) by the paint system, I think I read Giant have used a filler under the paint?.
However,
If failures where isolated to paint failures only, then it would be an improper paint system specification and not structural, Giant could just change their paint system to a more flexible paint, which wouldn't have stopped my frame from twisting and I would hazard a guess even a flexible paint system from cracking long term (more than a few hours or weeks).

So theres no question in my mind these reign and trance frames are not fit for purpose in heavy use applications such as mountain biking and I'm confident a lot of heavier use owners of these bikes will start to see underlying frame material failures in the near future, time will tell.

I hope you're not a "person with vagina" (one cannot imply that someone is a woman anymore) and ask you. What's you weight?

Yetibos

Jan 28, 2020
Spain

However,

Paint or filler could crack also due elasticity issue(dilatation grades diferences betwen matrerial).

How did you realized about frame twisting, how did you measure it? did you check it befor and after notice the crack?
Do you mean lateral/side twisted?

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
Paint or filler could crack also due elasticity issue(dilatation grades diferences betwen matrerial).

How did you realized about frame twisting, how did you measure it? did you check it befor and after notice the crack?

There is no question his frame is in a really bad shape. But this is the only such case I've ever heard of. That's why it would be nice to know what really happened. And if the guy is not above 140kg for example.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France

Rather than repeat the same theories which have been discussed in this thread multiple times and question someone's comments when they've already explained, please take the time to read the thread!

And yes, if it seems long, it's because people don't read the thread and keep repeating the same comments and questions.

Yetibos

Jan 28, 2020
Spain
Rather than repeat the same theories which have been discussed in this thread multiple times and question someone's comments when they've already explained, please take the time to read the thread!

And yes, if it seems long, it's because people don't read the thread and keep repeating the same comments and questions.
apologices for not checking the thread properly and thanks for your answer.

Regarding that issue, in my opinion is not connected with the crack, at least not with that image...perhaps it's only the POV, but for me it seems like headset tube unaligned from the main triangle. The battery tube cracked twsiting the headset tube? I can't imagine how this is connected with. In that case the top tube must be twisted also, so it should be cracked somewhere.🤔

RadAdd57

Nov 4, 2022
Macclesfield
Hi,

First off, I want to say I love this bike and have been very impressed by how capable it is. This is my first eeb and I am absolutely buzzing.

Now to the shit part, after a muddy ride in the Peaks I found this (see pictures) after cleaning the bike, as you can see it’s pretty big!

After worrying for the last few days whether or not Giant will cover it, I’d like to mention how impressed I am in the shop (Rutland) and Giant UK. The service has been top notch!

It took 5 days and a few emails to get confirmation of a replacement frame (Green +0) being sent from Giant Europe, 7 - 14 Days until I have the bike back and ready to rock.

I then googled “Giant Reign crack” and found you lovely people, but unfortunately I also found that it’s a known issue. From what I have read here, it has made me a little worried and a little happy.

I’m half worried that this will happen again with the new frame, but on the other hand it could have been a bad batch from the factory and they have sorted it since?

What's the overall verdict?

Fingers crossed and I will keep you all posted here.

Cheers!

View attachment 100818 View attachment 100819 View attachment 100820 View attachment 100821 View attachment 100822 View attachment 100823
UPDATE!

Finally got my new frame from Giant, what should have been 3 weeks turned into nearly 4 months.

Long story short - Giant Europe sent a Small instead of XL, it then turned out that there wasn’t any XLs in the UK or Europe so I had to wait from one from their main factory.

I can confirm that the new color doesn’t come with the matching battery cover, no biggy though. Would recommend Invisi-Taping the frame as this color scratches easily and can be seen a mile off - No crashes, just mud rubbing on top tube has scratched it.

Still over the moon to have it back, LBS (Rutland) were great - They kept me in the loop and didn’t mind me pestering them every week for updates😊

PXL_20230204_123808762.MP.jpg PXL_20230204_123814667.MP_2.jpg

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
UPDATE!

Finally got my new frame from Giant, what should have been 3 weeks turned into nearly 4 months.

Long story short - Giant Europe sent a Small instead of XL, it then turned out that there wasn’t any XLs in the UK or Europe so I had to wait from one from their main factory.

I can confirm that the new color doesn’t come with the matching battery cover, no biggy though. Would recommend Invisi-Taping the frame as this color scratches easily and can be seen a mile off - No crashes, just mud rubbing on top tube has scratched it.

Still over the moon to have it back, LBS (Rutland) were great - They kept me in the loop and didn’t mind me pestering them every week for updates😊

View attachment 107222 View attachment 107223
4 months? That's effing ridiculous! Enjoy the new ride.

hokkane4

Jan 3, 2019
Finland
Hi, I'm also joining the club (bike has around 200km, so almost new frame). I'm thinking to keep riding the bike and take to Giant dealer later in the autumn (if the crack is just cosmetic failure). I dont want to miss the best riding season. But let's see how much it will be extending...

2023-04-23 13.41.32.jpg

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
Hi, I'm also joining the club (bike has around 200km, so almost new frame). I'm thinking to keep riding the bike and take to Giant dealer later in the autumn (if the crack is just cosmetic failure). I dont want to miss the best riding season. But let's see how much it will be extending...

View attachment 112873
This is what I did with my frame. I waited for the end of the season and replaced it. Where exactly is this crack? The usual?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles