Giant reign 2022 frame cracking

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
That sucks, there were a few horror stories on this thread of people having to wait months for a replacement, but I personally would be a bit more optimistic about delays right now, compared to the last 2 years... On the giant France website, they have the 2022 E+3 in all sizes marked as ready to ship. My tiny LBS has 2 bikes sitting on the show floor. I would be quite hopeful that if you are ok with a frame colour swap, they could sort you out rather fast.

I might just be naive though, also waiting until later in the year increases your chances of getting a 2023 frame with the issue fixed.

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
Hi, I'm also joining the club (bike has around 200km, so almost new frame). I'm thinking to keep riding the bike and take to Giant dealer later in the autumn (if the crack is just cosmetic failure). I dont want to miss the best riding season. But let's see how much it will be extending...

View attachment 112873

That sucks, there were a few horror stories on this thread of people having to wait months for a replacement, but I personally would be a bit more optimistic about delays right now, compared to the last 2 years... On the giant France website, they have the 2022 E+3 in all sizes marked as ready to ship. My tiny LBS has 2 bikes sitting on the show floor. I would be quite hopeful that if you are ok with a frame colour swap, they could sort you out rather fast.

I might just be naive though, also waiting until later in the year increases your chances of getting a 2023 frame with the issue fixed.
The only delays right now are due to high season. Beginning of spring is the worst. So it's not the frame that may be missing buy a mechanic who will replace it.

c.hilleard

Jan 3, 2023
Wellington
I received my replacement frame and it started to crack after 3 hours of riding.
So far I'm 2 frames and 5 hours of riding, giant have offered to replace the frame.
My question is what will they do when the third frame cracks? And the 4th frame, andcso on.
Has anyone else had repeated cracking issues?

hokkane4

Jan 3, 2019
Finland
How big are your cracks? I got 2 small cracks soon after I got the bike. One is maybe 15mm long, other is under 10mm. But I have been riding now around 500km and they are not getting any longer. Also on grey paint they are practically invisible.

2023-07-04 19.15.11.jpg 2023-07-04 18.54.54.jpg

Acmac999

Dec 26, 2021
Australia
I received my replacement frame and it started to crack after 3 hours of riding.
So far I'm 2 frames and 5 hours of riding, giant have offered to replace the frame.
My question is what will they do when the third frame cracks? And the 4th frame, andcso on.
Has anyone else had repeated cracking issues?
Damn! I’m still waiting for my first one to crack as I’d love that green frame over the grey

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
How is the replacement frame going?

Does anyone know if the 2023 bikes are the same design?

2023 frames are the exact same design, just new colors. Did not see any failure on these new frames, looks like Giant fixed it.

2024 bikes should be announced in 4 months.

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
Well mine also cracked today, but on the rocker link at 2 places.

I believe it's the first time I see one cracked like this.

Crossing my fingers so Giant can quickly replace it.

Cracked.jpg

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
My frame cracked on the rocker arm, giant blamed a collapsed bearing, but did replace the whole frame when I argued the point.

I'm surprised Giant replaced the whole frame just for a cracked rocker ? Was the frame itself affected in your case ?

I don't care if it's a collapsed bearing, bike is only on it's second summer and I'm maintaining properly...Giant shouldn't start blaming bearing for such issues.

Rmh1

Nov 27, 2022
Uk
I'm surprised Giant replaced the whole frame just for a cracked rocker ? Was the frame itself affected in your case ?

I don't care if it's a collapsed bearing, bike is only on it's second summer and I'm maintaining properly...Giant shouldn't start blaming bearing for such issues.
Mine went within 8 months. They were just going to replace the rocker arm, but it had already destroyed 2 rear shocks and due to me kicking off big time insisting that the frame was twisted, replaced the lot.

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
Mine went within 8 months. They were just going to replace the rocker arm, but it had already destroyed 2 rear shocks and due to me kicking off big time insisting that the frame was twisted, replaced the lot.

I truly love this bike, but if it's going to take 8 months to replace it's going to be bye Giant for me.

I'll insist on the frame being bent as per your input and my local suspension shop saying that my shock is getting eaten on one side only.

Thank you!

Rmh1

Nov 27, 2022
Uk
I truly love this bike, but if it's going to take 8 months to replace it's going to be bye Giant for me.

I'll insist on the frame being bent as per your input and my local suspension shop saying that my shock is getting eaten on one side only.

Thank you!
That's exactly what happened to my shocks. Same side, same pattern, same size of damage.

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
Quick update after dropping the bike at the bike shop this morning.

Looks like it's really the bearing that collapsed causing the rocker to have freeplay and rocker finally cracked. Frame isn't bent or anything, but that bearing is to be watched from now on.

Rear shock damage can also be an early sign that it's starting to fail.

Bike shop submitted warranty claim this morning and Giant already approved and shipped a new rocker same day. I should get my bike back by the end of week if shipping goes well.

liuyizhe96

Jul 26, 2023
US
Quick update after dropping the bike at the bike shop this morning.

Looks like it's really the bearing that collapsed causing the rocker to have freeplay and rocker finally cracked. Frame isn't bent or anything, but that bearing is to be watched from now on.

Rear shock damage can also be an early sign that it's starting to fail.

Bike shop submitted warranty claim this morning and Giant already approved and shipped a new rocker same day. I should get my bike back by the end of week if shipping goes well.
Unfortunately, my trance x adv e+1 (2023) rocker arm also cracked
IMG_0743.jpeg

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
I received a response from Giant tonight, and they will replace me with a new bike instead of a new frame. I was very surprised. I thought Giant would replace me a new
rocker arm, but I really didn't expect it to be a new bike

Giant sure ain't kidding by shipping out frames & bikes for broken rocker arms, holy shit!

Great warranty service.

Rmh1

Nov 27, 2022
Uk
Giant sure ain't kidding by shipping out frames & bikes for broken rocker arms, holy shit!

Great warranty service.
Maybe they know the real reason for the rocker arms cracking, like a twisted frame, but won't admit it?

trailaddict

Jul 7, 2021
Alps
The new Reign e+ is now out for almost two years and these are the first reports of broken rockers that I've seen. Or at least there are not that many that it has been heard.

Kevjob51

May 22, 2022
Colorado
every bike manufacturer has some issues especially with new frames or technology for those like ours with smoothing the welds with non movable filler. I think Giant so far has made everyone whole and not one person has been refused per this forum.

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
Maybe they know the real reason for the rocker arms cracking, like a twisted frame, but won't admit it?

I just talked with my bike shop and they just received the rocker arms today and working on my bike right now, so Giant are not replacing every rocker claims with bikes or frames.

The new Reign e+ is now out for almost two years and these are the first reports of broken rockers that I've seen. Or at least there are not that many that it has been heard.

Not a lot of Reign E+ yet (only 2 cases in this thread), but there are more cases of regular Giant Reign cracked on the rockers, could be a fatigue thing combined with bearings wearing down....still strange on bikes that are not even 2 years old.

Rmh1

Nov 27, 2022
Uk
I just talked with my bike shop and they just received the rocker arms today and working on my bike right now, so Giant are not replacing every rocker claims with bikes or frames.

Not a lot of Reign E+ yet (only 2 cases in this thread), but there are more cases of regular Giant Reign cracked on the rockers, could be a fatigue thing combined with bearings wearing down....still strange on bikes that are not even 2 years old.
4 giant frames replaced by J E James in Rotherham over a 2 month period at the beginning of this year. All were either a trance, or reign ebikes and all done on warranty, plus all the others that I've read about on here, something is obviously wrong in the design of these bikes.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles