Giant reign 2022 frame cracking

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
So it's supposed to just be the outer filler thats cracking and yet your pics clearly showing a matching crack inside the frame...hmm...are we saying theres filler inside the frame too..?

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
The filler would not break if the frame did not work too hard in this place ... It looks like a very dangerous defect. It's all about the user's life.
Yeah it seems very suspect. I guess a law suit when someone breaks their neck will sort it out. What's with this world right now? Corporations and Governments are literally getting away with murder.

Kingerz

Jul 11, 2021
Australia
So it's supposed to just be the outer filler thats cracking and yet your pics clearly showing a matching crack inside the frame...hmm...are we saying theres filler inside the frame too..?
It's just one or two guys saying it is 'Just the filler" isn't it? Pretty obvious from the start it was the frame cracking. Good to see Giant getting swaps made.

Nils

Nov 13, 2022
Deutschland
😭

IMG_20221114_111351.jpg IMG_20221113_175954.jpg

trailaddict

Jul 7, 2021
Alps
My opinion is that all reign E+ has the same problem but appear in those who pushing hard the bike .
I would disagree because I'm pushing the bike really hard and have no problems.
Neither the grey e+ 1 frame nor the green Phantom e+ 0 frame show any signs of cracking so far. And if a frame holds up decently for more than 30,000 meters of downhill, I would assume it won't fail anytime soon.
But if it ever does, I'll make amends

emtbeast

Jan 10, 2022
Slovenia
This is for sure a cracking , in the same area like all the other bikes .stop saying about filler and other bull#s . Is a huge Giant failure.And even Giant change my frame i will manage to sell it immediately, i don't trust it any more. My opinion is that all reign E+ has the same problem but appear in those who pushing hard the bike .
Oh come on calm down guys, this is getting old, Giant is obviously aware of the issue and dealing with the cases...they probably wouldn't say to customers ride the bike until replacement comes if they weren't sure about the filler...guys are riding the bikes with cracks OF the Filler.

Yes it's an annoyance if/when it happens but that's the price these days if you want to be in the beta test crowd...

Here on the photo I only see an outside crack an no inside crack...as a matter of fact the inside weld job on my bike looks pretty much the same on one of the sides...ridden 2300km of different terrain an no issues...so far 🤷‍♂️ we'll see what time brings...maybe all are affected and it's just a matter of different time because of different filler curing process...well that's one of the reasons why I got the Giant, great equipment and a lifetime warranty on the frame...for a reasonable ebike price...

And another one about the filler crack...here is a screenshot from the Fb group...I guy that had a cracked filler, sawed/hacked the weld part out with LBS approval to check it... Screenshot_20220922-211944_Facebook.jpg

Garybee

Feb 4, 2022
Vancouver BC
Earlier in this thread I posted a photo showing the crack in my frame. Giant has since replaced the frame and I like the color better. The bike shop said they were told by Giant the replacement frame will not crack and if it does crack I will post here. The bike is running fantastic !

RadAdd57

Nov 4, 2022
Macclesfield
Earlier in this thread I posted a photo showing the crack in my frame. Giant has since replaced the frame and I like the color better. The bike shop said they were told by Giant the replacement frame will not crack and if it does crack I will post here. The bike is running fantastic !
Great news, I should get mine back this week!

emtbeast

Jan 10, 2022
Slovenia
my frame has inside and outside crack ,i believe what i'm seeing.... and non of this in facebook and forum guys are professional or tell the truth ... if you want you can trust them but not me .
I wasn't talking about your frame, but the last one that was posted I think it was Nils that posted...I am following this thread since the beginning and other forums and so far I have only seen 2 confirmed cases that had a visible inside crack,...so even if there are a few more than posted anywhere online,...that in my eyes is a negligible amount of all the sold bikes across the world...almost every brand has one bike frame that has similar issues these days...an example would be the Trek Rail that has cracked frames on similar spots on the frame...so as I said...If you don't want to be a beta tester wait out for the end of the season and buy then...and as I said it's possible all are affected but it's just a different timeframe they need to show the issue...hope u all get yours sorted out over&out✌

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The history of this is that Giant announced a "new" welding technique...............and Giant make frames for a number of brands some of whom may have a greed to that construction method whilst others may have declined. We have seen frame failures in some other brands. The part of the frame in question here is where the down tube joins the bb section that houses the motor. Personally i do not believe there is a "new" welding process........or at least not a new process that would be applicable here. I suspect the join is bonded using a collar ( which is visible looking inside around the battery connector). Nothing wrong per se with bonding aluminium rather than welding it and if one of the sections is 7075 rather than 6000 series ally there are few other alternatives. So yes there would need to be a small amount of filler around the face to face part of that joint. The cracking of that filler does not mean any part of the ally tubing or motor frame is cracking but what it does mean is that the bond is not secure and untimately it will fail. So Giant are not replacing frames due to a cosmetic defect ( filler crack) , they are replacing them because the joint is starting to fail.
Ultimately believe a combination of the compression and torsional force on that joint make the bonding process the wrong choice of construction. It maybe cosmetically more pleasing but more probably an easier joint to make on the production line that was the reason for going for bonding rather than welding.

Rmh1

Nov 27, 2022
Uk
My giant reign is currently having a new rocker arm fitted due to the original one cracking, giant said that its down to a collapsed bearing. This collapsed bearing has already destroyed two rear shocks. Steer clear of giant mountain bikes.

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
My giant reign is currently having a new rocker arm fitted due to the original one cracking, giant said that its down to a collapsed bearing. This collapsed bearing has already destroyed two rear shocks. Steer clear of giant mountain bikes.

That's why there are thousands of Giant bikes out there without any issues...

There will always be some isolated issues with all the brands.

mummyb0t

Nov 28, 2021
New Zealand
I've got another one with a broken Frame. It was a Grey +1, about 1 year old, in NZ, LBS is replacing the frame with the Green 0 frame, hopefully this week :/

Rmh1

Nov 27, 2022
Uk
I've got another one with a broken Frame. It was a Grey +1, about 1 year old, in NZ, LBS is replacing the frame with the Green 0 frame, hopefully this week :/
Result.
My new frame is also the green 0, must have a few spare greens.
Where was the frame damaged?

trailaddict

Jul 7, 2021
Alps
Did anyone who received a replacemen frame with green colour also get a matching battery cover?
It was a not included in my case, and the one the LBS did get from giant is matt black with glittery Giant logo.
I mean - it does the job and doesn't look too bad, but I'd expected the Giant logo in machting green colour!??

1671546952043.png

mummyb0t

Nov 28, 2021
New Zealand
Got my bike back from my LBS yesterday. Green frame, no new battery cover <lame!>.

My old grey frame was cracked in the same place as others, down the base near the shock.

c.hilleard

Jan 3, 2023
Wellington
Here's my new giant trance e1, 1hour of use.
The frame is cracked through.
The frame is twisted about 4degrees.
However I fell off it to do the damage, between 5-10kmh. BUT I fell off because the wheel buckled going around a corner.
Pretty disappointed, had it for 3 days and only got the one 15km ride.
Never had a bike fail this easily, not even close.
I rode the trail I crashed on yesterday on my giant anthem, its not a hard trail on bikes.

20230104_114329.jpg 20230104_114347.jpg 20230104_114354.jpg 20230104_114642.jpg

Rmh1

Nov 27, 2022
Uk
Here's my new giant trance e1, 1hour of use.
The frame is cracked through.
The frame is twisted about 4degrees.
However I fell off it to do the damage, between 5-10kmh. BUT I fell off because the wheel buckled going around a corner.
Pretty disappointed, had it for 3 days and only got the one 15km ride.
Never had a bike fail this easily, not even close.
I rode the trail I crashed on yesterday on my giant anthem, its not a hard trail on bikes.

View attachment 103951 View attachment 103952 View attachment 103953 View attachment 103954
Wow, regardless of the fall, that should never happen, hopefully you will get a good outcome, but it's still got to piss you off.

c.hilleard

Jan 3, 2023
Wellington
Wow, regardless of the fall, that should never happen, hopefully you will get a good outcome, but it's still got to piss you off.
Rmh1, Your right on both counts.
As to the outcome?
I'm aiming for a refund in full on the bike under consumers guarantee act, not fit for purpose, and all associted purchased items as I won't be pursuing the sport for the foreseeable future, the industry has lost its way, I'll be moving back to dirtbikes once this unfortunate situation is wrapped up.

Donamici

Jan 1, 2022
Ireland
Rmh1, Your right on both counts.
As to the outcome?
I'm aiming for a refund in full on the bike under consumers guarantee act, not fit for purpose, and all associted purchased items as I won't be pursuing the sport for the foreseeable future, the industry has lost its way, I'll be moving back to dirtbikes once this unfortunate situation is wrapped up.
Sounds like rather drastic response to an unfortunate product failure. You will get a full refund, if you are done with Giant plenty of other good options out there. Denying yourself 'The Best Sport in the World' (official) would be a tragic outcome. Take a deep breath and hopefully see you on the trails!

c.hilleard

Jan 3, 2023
Wellington
Ha yeah im probably a little dramatic. Yeah it's a great sport, but the bikes and components are too fragile and massively overpriced (officially) lol.

Tbf I've had a bad run with bikes over the last 6 years so this 1 hour ride for $12.5k is the straw that's broken me.

I've looked at e bike options but there's nothing on offer with a chromolly frame, gearbox and dual crown forks, I consider these sensible features considering the application.

Last edited:

Wilbur

Dec 12, 2022
New Zealand
Has anyone thought about putting a layer of reinforced epoxy over the joint to maybe prevent movement or is everyone just waiting for the crack and using warranty?

Donamici

Jan 1, 2022
Ireland
Has anyone thought about putting a layer of reinforced epoxy over the joint to maybe prevent movement or is everyone just waiting for the crack and using warranty?
Do that any mate void your warranty. It also probably won't do anything except mask any crack that might appear. It doesn't affect all bikes so just take your chances.

Wilbur

Dec 12, 2022
New Zealand
Do that any mate void your warranty. It also probably won't do anything except mask any crack that might appear. It doesn't affect all bikes so just take your chances.
Possibly. Applied inside the downtube won’t ‘mask’ a crack, but might help prevent it.
Are the majority just dumping their bikes when warranty expires?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles