Giant reign 2022 frame cracking

James Moffitt

Jul 12, 2022
Newcastle, Australia
I’ve just today dropped my reign of for a replacement frame that came in yeaterday. They are going to re invisiframe it for me for free, well pass the cost onto giant!
I had a wrap on my bike. My LBS said that they wouldn't replace it, they also said if I bought the invisiframe that they wouldn't fit it. I'm also not allowed to take the frame out of the shop to wrap it before it's built up. They will however let me use a spot in their workshop to apply the wrap myself before they build it up :ROFLMAO:

Hondata

Aug 16, 2022
South West
Does anyone with a crack frame have photos from the inside?
Can you see that crack from the inside?
Many people argue that it is not really a crack in the frame, but a crack in the filler that was used on the outside to hide the visible weld.

Telemarc

Feb 9, 2022
Van Isle
Mine Cracked after 3 months and after looking at the replacement frame they sent today and a big trip coming up we decided not to risk it and swapped it out for a new bike ,, 2022 Carbon Trance X Advanced E -Zero. Has the Fox live setup so will see how that goes . I know its not a Reign but its kind of what I wanted to start with but was not available so all worked out. Loved my Reign E while it lasted though.

lewcando

Jun 18, 2022
New Zealand
20220902_112513.jpg

It took 9months for a replacement frame but it finally arrived! stoked to be back on this rig....love this bike

Kingerz

Jul 11, 2021
Australia
Great insight there
Thank you for the sarcasm. My point stands.
This really is bad, really bad, and apart from this forum it seems ignored. Also people are selling out all their replaced bikes it seems . who has a report on how the new frames go? Will they crack too?
Giant Australia does not even have Reigns for sale now and almost all 2022 models are price slashed.
2022 will not be a vintage year.

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
Thank you for the sarcasm. My point stands.
This really is bad, really bad, and apart from this forum it seems ignored. Also people are selling out all their replaced bikes it seems . who has a report on how the new frames go? Will they crack too?
Giant Australia does not even have Reigns for sale now and almost all 2022 models are price slashed.
2022 will not be a vintage year.

I believe Giant pretty much sold out all of their 2022 Reign E+. LOTS of Trance X E+ / Advanced available right now however.

I guess they will soon anounce the 2023 models and usually when Giant anounce a new bike it's available rather quickly, I expect 2023 models to be shipped by the end of the year like it was the case for 2022 models.

If new frames are cracking it could take a long time before we know anyway, my original frame is now at almost 1600km without a single issue.

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
Found a picture of some 2023 Reign E+ models.

Looks like there's a new weld in the area where 2022 frames are cracking.

Does that mean that all 2022 frames are doomed and that the replacement frames people on here received is not the revised version ?

2023 Reign.jpg

emtbeast

Jan 10, 2022
Slovenia
Found a picture of some 2023 Reign E+ models.

Looks like there's a new weld in the area where 2022 frames are cracking.

Does that mean that all 2022 frames are doomed and that the replacement frames people on here received is not the revised version ?

View attachment 97778
I don't think that all framesets are affected, mine is going strong after over 2K kilometers...

Regarding the 2023 models I guess they are learning from mistakes and so abandoning the weld covering procedure for obvious reasons.

Jurassic

Subscriber
Jul 22, 2022
Helensburgh, Scotland.
I wonder if there will come a point where they'll start dishing out warranty replacement 2023 frames as they run out of 2022 model parts (assuming that all the bits will transfer over)?

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
I wonder if there will come a point where they'll start dishing out warranty replacement 2023 frames as they run out of 2022 model parts (assuming that all the bits will transfer over)?

I don't see why Giant would have an infinite supply of 2022 E+0 Phantom Green frames, they will most likely switch to the 2023 frames.

Looks like 2023 top of the line model will be the E+1 and it's a silver/pink color, not as classy as the green 2022 frame...

emtbeast

Jan 10, 2022
Slovenia
So cracking paint? Filler? or material???
Anybody got picutres from inside when crack be outside?
I you read the whole thread you can see there has been I think only one report of frame material cracking(and even that didn't show pics of cracks from inside of the frame).

It's the painted filler that covers the weld for cosmetic reasons that is cracking. In the 2023 models you can see a weld that isn't covered anymore(learning from mistakes).

From the amount of sold bikes around the world the reports what we see here are a drop in the sea(probably a batch of wrong filler mixture or wrong procedure at applying it).
At least that's my opinion ...✌⚡

Also I think the title of the thread is doing a little injustice to the bike as it's not the frame that is cracking as so far we could determine. Anyone who reads just the title and a few post can get a wrong opinion fast...

Last edited:

gaiadoSeco

Oct 18, 2021
Portugal
So the new frame for my E+2 arrived (now a green one), went for a ride and all good. But to my surprise, after going back to remove the battery to charge at home, undid the locking bold but it won't come out o_O I can maybe nudge it a couple mm forward at best, totally stuck. Before I take it back to the shop, any ideas what might they have done wrong? In my old frame, once I opened the locking bolt the battery would fall out, always had to have my hand underneath it to prevent it from hitting the ground.
I have no power source in my building's storage room, removing the battery to charge at home is a must for me :(

emtbeast

Jan 10, 2022
Slovenia
So the new frame for my E+2 arrived (now a green one), went for a ride and all good. But to my surprise, after going back to remove the battery to charge at home, undid the locking bold but it won't come out o_O I can maybe nudge it a couple mm forward at best, totally stuck. Before I take it back to the shop, any ideas what might they have done wrong? In my old frame, once I opened the locking bolt the battery would fall out, always had to have my hand underneath it to prevent it from hitting the ground.
I have no power source in my building's storage room, removing the battery to charge at home is a must for me :(
Two safety bolts underneath the top tube where the locking mechanism is are your solution.

The shop obviously didn't align the locking mechanism perfectly right, or did it bike - upside down, which is wrong cause the battery is pushing against the mechanism when you try to align it.

Key is to do the locking mechanism alignment with bike - wheels down, so that the battery is in it's normal riding position.

I am sometimes amazed what sh... bike shops do...hope u get it sorted ✌⚡

gaiadoSeco

Oct 18, 2021
Portugal
Two safety bolts underneath the top tube where the locking mechanism is are your solution.

The shop obviously didn't align the locking mechanism perfectly right, or did it bike - upside down, which is wrong cause the battery is pushing against the mechanism when you try to align it.

Key is to do the locking mechanism alignment with bike - wheels down, so that the battery is in it's normal riding position.

I am sometimes amazed what sh... bike shops do...hope u get it sorted ✌⚡
thank you so much for this insight, I will bring it up with the shop when I take the bike back later today.
Cheers

James Moffitt

Jul 12, 2022
Newcastle, Australia
I unexpectedly got a call from my LBS and my frame had arrived! They had originally said November, but then that changed to Jan, and then it arrived right when they originally said. I dropped my bike in, picked up the frame and spent about 4 hours applying a ride wrap at home. The gloss ride wrap looks awesome on it - really brings out the depth in the colour. Dropped the frame back to the LBS and they did the swap over a couple of days. I discovered my crack July 12, and I'm all fixed on a new frame November 4 - just under 4 months. Not too bad I reckon. The LBS have done a great job putting it all back together and it looks mint!

58F1613D-7600-4DFB-B2DB-395077C204BE.jpeg 42BD3A2B-7EF1-4599-A636-0B4B4945573A.jpeg

Hondata

Aug 16, 2022
South West

kadlefkas

Nov 9, 2021
greece

kadlefkas After what mileage did it start? Have you bought a new or second-hand bike? A very strange place because this crack is not where it was welded. What does the right side look like from the inside?​

i have 1200 km on it , i bought it new before 1 year .the right side is not visible, the crack is somewhere there

IMG_4987.JPG

Kevjob51

May 22, 2022
Colorado
i have 1200 km on it , i bought it new before 1 year .the right side is not visible, the crack is somewhere there

View attachment 100795
That weld is covered with filler material on the other side of the frame which is what is cracking not the weld itself.

The weld on new 2023 models is exposed and not covered with any filler as I assume it was because of the failed filler on some of the 2022 models.

Contact your LBS and get the frame swapped out.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Not directly related, but there's an interesting amount of wear on the sheathing on he left cable and some cracking on the sheathing on the right cable .. If the wear on the left continues you may have a problem so worth re-sheathing/protecting in some way ?

1667586916537.png

RadAdd57

Nov 4, 2022
Macclesfield
Hi,

First off, I want to say I love this bike and have been very impressed by how capable it is. This is my first eeb and I am absolutely buzzing.

Now to the shit part, after a muddy ride in the Peaks I found this (see pictures) after cleaning the bike, as you can see it’s pretty big!

After worrying for the last few days whether or not Giant will cover it, I’d like to mention how impressed I am in the shop (Rutland) and Giant UK. The service has been top notch!

It took 5 days and a few emails to get confirmation of a replacement frame (Green +0) being sent from Giant Europe, 7 - 14 Days until I have the bike back and ready to rock.

I then googled “Giant Reign crack” and found you lovely people, but unfortunately I also found that it’s a known issue. From what I have read here, it has made me a little worried and a little happy.

I’m half worried that this will happen again with the new frame, but on the other hand it could have been a bad batch from the factory and they have sorted it since?

What's the overall verdict?

Fingers crossed and I will keep you all posted here.

Cheers!

PXL_20221030_154734968.PORTRAIT.jpg PXL_20221101_131328252.jpg PXL_20221101_131333033.jpg PXL_20221101_131353173.jpg PXL_20221101_131405917.jpg PXL_20221104_081025651.PORTRAIT.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles