Does anyone own a waterproof jacket that's actually waterproof?

Rostle32

Sep 26, 2018
Uk
The jacket is a TRUE work piece of clothing! Designed for working outside, in shite conditions! Not a overpriced
“ mountain bike “ jacket!!
I’ve treated mine with the stuff in the link below, And in the words of DelBoy “ it’s pukka !!!

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California
Preferably one that's under £200.
I'd like to keep going out in the great British winter, but keep bottling it when it's raining as none of my jackets keep the rain out.
My son and I got an IMBA sponsored (logo) version of this mountain bike targeted jacket a few years back, like the vents, long bike specific tail of the Element model. The company is a popular option in USA Northwest:

Choppersquad

Nov 10, 2021
Leatherhead
Some great suggestions so will check them all out.
Will also get a tin of the Granger's waterproofing stuff and try it on my old jacket as a back up.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
I use an old berghaus rain jacket
like everything, gloves trousers etc etc its waterproof
the water still gets in through the holes that all clothing has to have though :ROFLMAO:

Monkey Dog

Jun 4, 2020
Derbyshire
I have an old RaceFace gortex jacket. When it gets a wash I simply give it a good spray with Fabsil. I commute to work in all weathers. Never got wet yet 🤙

NorthernBloke

Sep 17, 2021
Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire
I have a Gore tex jacket for when it it is really wet. I find you still get wet from within though when working hard.
I also have a tec-lite pertex fleece from Buffalo (UK) which is technically for walking but great for two/three seasons here in the UK. It works as a second skin, waterproof to a point but much more breathable. You eventually do get wet but the fleecing keeps you warm and when it stops raining it dries really quickly, and you don't have to layer and delayer as it is worn next to the skin. Paremo and others do similar things.
With both you need to use a waterproofing product such as Nikwax to maintain the water beading effect on both otherwise neither will retain their DWR waterproofing

Rostle32

Sep 26, 2018
Uk
I have a Gore tex jacket for when it it is really wet. I find you still get wet from within though when working hard.
I also have a tec-lite pertex fleece from Buffalo (UK) which is technically for walking but great for two/three seasons here in the UK. It works as a second skin, waterproof to a point but much more breathable. You eventually do get wet but the fleecing keeps you warm and when it stops raining it dries really quickly, and you don't have to layer and delayer as it is worn next to the skin. Paremo and others do similar things.
With both you need to use a waterproofing product such as Nikwax to maintain the water beading effect on both otherwise neither will retain their DWR waterproofing
i have 2 buffalo mountain shirts (one green &one black) they are absolutely the best bit of kit for outdoor activity, even done mtbing in them! material is stronger than you expect, easy to look after, wash n dry in no time at all, ( you could probably wear it straight out of the washer)!! Bombproof!!!

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
I have a Revolution Race Silence Proshell 3 Layer jacket that has been keeping me dry so far.

theremotejuggernaut

Aug 2, 2022
UK
I have loads of Endura stuff, it lasts years? Either your'e super unlucky or super gnarly? Maybe both?
Of the two, I'd be firmly in the unlucky category lol.

Some of the older Humvee shorts and gloves I've got have been going for years with no problems.

Bought some more Humvee shorts last year that lasted a few rides and split. I didn't suddenly get fat either 😂

Thinking about it now, it must have been at least 6 pairs of gloves in the last 12 months. 3 pairs of Humvee Windchill, all split on the seam at the thumb. 2 in the right, one on the left. 2 pairs of Humvee lite which just generally disintegrated and a pair of Humvee Plus which failed at the stitching on the palm. It's not even like they're too tight, they feel like they fit perfectly which is a shame because I refuse to buy anymore 😂

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have tried Goretex and have been very disappointed with it. Yes, it's waterproof, but the breathability is poor. Like others have said on here, I got wetter from within. I have poured sweat from the sleeves of my Goretex jacket. I believe that Goretex must spend more on Marketing than they do on product development.

TommyC

Jul 7, 2022
Hampshire
When I used to go green laning I’d wear a simple lightweight waterproof/wind proof over jacket. You’d still get wet eventually but the wind proofing stopped you getting cold

Feb 27, 2023
Teesside UK
Had a Gore Goretex trail jacket for years, very waterproof and breathable as long as you look after it. Follow the washing instructions and tumble dry on low. The Gore Shakedry is the best I have ever used but not for MTBing as its so delicate you would soon destroy it.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
When I used to go green laning I’d wear a simple lightweight waterproof/wind proof over jacket. You’d still get wet eventually but the wind proofing stopped you getting cold
I too prefer to use a windproof that has a DWR coating (Durable Water Resistant). It is showerproof for long enough to matter and the breathability is always better than a proper waterproof jacket.

As others have commented, it is essential that the DWR coating is maintained. The jacket needs to be kept fairly clean. I wash mine in the washing machine without any detergent. That gets rid of any muck without destroying the DWR. If the DWR starts to fail, then I wash the jacket in the washing machine using NikWax Wash and Go (some use pure soap). Then I use Nikwax TX direct to reproof the garment. Doing so in a washing up bowl is considerably cheaper as it uses one third the TX Direct. I spin the garment in the washing machine at a low speed (6-800), then into the tumble drier or hang up outside if it's sunny or breezy.

I have had a Rohan Elite waterproof for years and I have never had to reproof it. It gets a rinse in the washer (no soap or detergent) every now and again just to remove any ingrained mud.

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
If youlike a podcast or two, i know i do, Downtime (now on video too) explains how 7 Mesh get to their mega expensive anoracs and how to maintain them.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have tried Goretex and have been very disappointed with it. Yes, it's waterproof, but the breathability is poor. Like others have said on here, I got wetter from within. I have poured sweat from the sleeves of my Goretex jacket. I believe that Goretex must spend more on Marketing than they do on product development.
@VWsurfbum You sent a WOW! to the above post.
It was the Goretex Paclite jacket and trousers. The jacket looked great; the trousers less so as they were very baggy.
When I wore the jacket in cold and wet conditions, just walking about, it was great, worked a treat, the water just rolled off. But in 10-12 deg C when I was riding in a heavy mist (the sort that drenches you), it shed a lot of water, but also it just stopped breathing. When I got back to the car and got off my bike sweat poured from my sleeves. My wicking tee-shirt was soaked. That was it for me, I sold the jacket and trousers on eBay as soon as I could. I sold them separately, but linked them with an internal message. I ended up selling them for more than I paid!! The Goretex marketing sold them for me. :)

Before sale, I had complained to Goretex, but they were totally unsympathetic and their reply implied that my expectations were too high! They didn't even ask to see the garment in case it was faulty!

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
@VWsurfbum You sent a WOW! to the above post.
It was the Goretex Paclite jacket and trousers. The jacket looked great; the trousers less so as they were very baggy.
When I wore the jacket in cold and wet conditions, just walking about, it was great, worked a treat, the water just rolled off. But in 10-12 deg C when I was riding in a heavy mist (the sort that drenches you), it shed a lot of water, but also it just stopped breathing. When I got back to the car and got off my bike sweat poured from my sleeves. My wicking tee-shirt was soaked. That was it for me, I sold the jacket and trousers on eBay as soon as I could. I sold them separately, but linked them with an internal message. I ended up selling them for more than I paid!! The Goretex marketing sold them for me. :)

Before sale, I had complained to Goretex, but they were totally unsympathetic and their reply implied that my expectations were too high! They didn't even ask to see the garment in case it was faulty!
My wow was about pouring sweat out of the sleeves

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Of the two, I'd be firmly in the unlucky category lol.

Some of the older Humvee shorts and gloves I've got have been going for years with no problems.

Bought some more Humvee shorts last year that lasted a few rides and split. I didn't suddenly get fat either 😂

Thinking about it now, it must have been at least 6 pairs of gloves in the last 12 months. 3 pairs of Humvee Windchill, all split on the seam at the thumb. 2 in the right, one on the left. 2 pairs of Humvee lite which just generally disintegrated and a pair of Humvee Plus which failed at the stitching on the palm. It's not even like they're too tight, they feel like they fit perfectly which is a shame because I refuse to buy anymore 😂
I can’t fault the Humvee shorts but I had a pair of Humvee trousers which got caught on the saddle halfway round Whinlatter and completely split in the crotch area, which meant I had to do the descent and jump line back down to the car park with my balls hanging out 😆

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I really would like a good jacket but the price and the thought of a minor tumble destroying a £200+ jacket scares the Bejesus out of me. I'll carry on with my £15 regatta for now.... I know tight!
My cheap Regatta jacket has outlasted all my other far more expensive waterproofs and actually keeps me dry too, bonus 👍🏽

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
In Aberdeen (Scotland) this weekend we have a yellow weather warning alert for heavy rain / flooding. It has chucked it down for about 40 hours non stop - with rivers bursting their banks, cars getting stuck in flooded roads etc.

IMG_5716.jpeg

My Levo SL currently has no wheels and no fork, so I took my Stumpjumper out for a ride. Mainly cycle paths, roads and a few small trails - to save getting everything filthy. I did the exact same 20 mile (19.7, then round my estate to make it up to 20!) route both Saturday and Sunday in an absolute deluge. It took about an hour and a half both times.

I had on my Gore GoreTex trail jacket / trousers, and a pair of 5/10 GTX boots. The jacket was recently washed with Nikwax and treated. The trousers have been washed several times and not treated for over a year (that will change this evening!)
Underneath, I wore a long sleeved light grey under-armour top, and a pair of Gore bib tights (with a padded bum), and Sealskin socks.

IMG_5708.jpeg

At the end of the ride I looked like I’d climbed out of a swimming pool. When I took the jacket off, my light grey top was predominantly dry. I sweat quite a lot, so my back (backpack) and chest were damp. My arms and shoulders were bone dry. It would have been the same if I’d ridden on a dry day without the jacket on.
On the flip side… my legs were soaked. Calves and back of my thighs were ok, but the front of my thighs were absolutely drenched. I could wring them out! Feet were bone dry too.

IMG_5709.jpeg

It opened my eyes to…
A: how well the goretex performs. The amount of water that fell on me (and was sprayed over me by passing cars) was unreal - yet my top was pretty dry.
B: how you need to make sure it’s maintained and treated. If you don’t look after it, it leaks!

Both my jacket and trousers must be at least 4 years old and have no scuffs or damage.

golfatha

Jan 17, 2023
Northumberland
Preferably one that's under £200.
I'd like to keep going out in the great British winter, but keep bottling it when it's raining as none of my jackets keep the rain out.
Yes I have a mountain equipment goretex Garwhal hc jacket, the Hc stands for helmet compatable so the hood fits nicely over ur helmet I ride in the lakes a lot and this jacket keeps me totally dry and with having the hood that’s fits over ur helmet no water runs down ur back. I bought this from go outdoors at £180

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles