Waterproof Boots

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
Has anyone got North Wave Himalayan boots? I bought mine last year and had a few wet outings, and wet feet, but assumed the water was coming in over the top at the ankle.
This year after wet feet after most rides I did a test and left them in standing water, about 10cm deep, for about 10 minutes.

They weren’t only damp but full of water. They say they have a waterproof Gortex membrane but it didn’t stop any water ingress at all. Anyone else had similar experiences?

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
I read this review:

“Great winter shoes by NW! And I mean the russian winter, they are good down to -10C with merino socks. At +7C they are also ok with regular cotton socks. Sizing is very accurate, I have 28.5mm sole and 44 size is perfect, my regular shoes are also 44. 100% waterproof, my feet are always dry.”

Send them back is probably the best option as I’d assume they are a bit faulty.

I have the NW Raptor GTX Arctic MTB boots and they are excellent at keeping 100% of the water out and very good at keeping feet warm down to 0 degree C.....after that I get cold toes. I have been riding regularly in the current UK weather and it’s been wet.

Last edited:

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Had a number of goretex winter spd boots Over the years They only work if I wear my walking gaiters to stop the water running down my legs and filling up those expensive watertight boots won’t let the water out . only fix ive found is long waterproof socks , like seal skins
my normal vented shoes that let water run out

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
Thanks for the replies and confirming they should be 100% waterproof. Mine aren’t 1% waterproof and shows in a similar test with a cheap pair of walking boots that stay bone dry. I will call CS at NorthWave.

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips
Yeah faulty I'd guess, my Northwave arctics dont let anything in even standing in ankle deep water, in fact combined with my Fox trousers last week managed to walk 30 yards down a stream in the Quantocks without anything getting in!!!

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
Had a number of goretex winter spd boots Over the years They only work if I wear my walking gaiters to stop the water running down my legs and filling up those expensive watertight boots won’t let the water out . only fix ive found is long waterproof socks , like seal skins
my normal vented shoes that let water run out

I assume you don’t wear long trousers? I never have until last/this year.....a must have in sub-5 deg riding for me now.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I assume you don’t wear long trousers? I never have until last/this year.....a must have in sub-5 deg riding for me now.
Yrs I wear longs in winter they don’t stop water running down into your boots , the front wheel sprays it up to you knees and it just soaks down . Anyone who says thier boots alone keep feet dry isn’t riding in wet enough conditions or they’ve got mudguards that stop everything

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
Thanks for all the replies and some of the suggestions and these are why I hadn’t realised this sooner.
So I did a test and stood the boots in water about 7-10cm so not very deep and after 2 minutes the boots were full of water, not just damp. I tried the same experiment with some cheap waterproof walking boots and they stayed dry.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Thanks for all the replies and some of the suggestions and these are why I hadn’t realised this sooner.
So I did a test and stood the boots in water about 7-10cm so not very deep and after 2 minutes the boots were full of water, not just damp. I tried the same experiment with some cheap waterproof walking boots and they stayed dry.
Probably water coming up through the cleat fixings on some boots . They need to make spd wellies with tie tops

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
I read this review:

“Great winter shoes by NW! And I mean the russian winter, they are good down to -10C with merino socks. At +7C they are also ok with regular cotton socks. Sizing is very accurate, I have 28.5mm sole and 44 size is perfect, my regular shoes are also 44. 100% waterproof, my feet are always dry.”

Send them back is probably the best option as I’d assume they are a bit faulty.

I have the NW Raptor GTX Arctic MTB boots and they are excellent at keeping 100% of the water out and very good at keeping feet warm down to 0 degree C.....after that I get cold toes. I have been riding regularly in the current UK weather and it’s been wet.
Hi They have agreed to take them back as they shouldn't leak. Can I ask do you ride flats with yours and if so how are they ?

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips
Yrs I wear longs in winter they don’t stop water running down into your boots , the front wheel sprays it up to you knees and it just soaks down . Anyone who says thier boots alone keep feet dry isn’t riding in wet enough conditions or they’ve got mudguards that stop everything
Don't wear longs get waterproof trews that are elasticated at the bottom, over the top of Northwave arctics you can get as wet as you like the water will only come in if you stand in water upto your knees!!

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Wear what works for you I guess , I’ve got 2 pairs of goretex boots but I usually find knee High waterproof socks in normal shoes work better for me . I only wear Overtrousers if it’s heavy constant rain , or I end up wetter

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
So are these a no-no?

885CB083-5418-4DBF-81F9-914D358EA735.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips
Sorry to dissapoint but they won't play well with flats, I know they aren't cheap but you will really notice the difference with a pair well designed flat shoes. I tend to ride clipped in in winter as there are more suitable boots available and flats in the dry weather if I fancy it.

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
Thanks Konanige. I wear 5/10's in the summer but they are like sponges for soaking up water I did see someone on here who had h is NorthWest boots re-soled with Steath 5/10 rubber, but it seems a bit severe to by new boots and have them repaired from new ! Not sure if I trust myself on clips....

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I second the vaude AM moab stx in the link above, properly waterproof and designed for flat pedals.

Their grip is not quite as good as my usual five tens, but its more than good enough. And the boots are fully waterproof, the only way your feet are going to get wet is if water comes in over the top.

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
Look perfect but all sizes between 7.5 -13 (UK) seem sold out.. Do you know any suppliers?

enCrypt

Sep 13, 2020
Douglas
Unconventional, but I've started using an old pair of my Magnum boots on the bike for the winter. I've worn these for years, same sorta thing that coppers / paramedics etc wear, super comfy, feel like wearing trainers. My old ones are the full leather ones, so paired up with some long / waterproof trousers I'm very unlikely to get wet feet.
Might look a berk wearing them with shorts mind!
They're also much more grippy on my pedal pins than my 'proper' Shimano flat pedal shoes believe it or not!

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
Which Magnums have you got. There seem to be a few different ones on a Google?

enCrypt

Sep 13, 2020
Douglas
Which Magnums have you got. There seem to be a few different ones on a Google?
They're super old (cos they last for ages) so I don't think my old full leather ones are made anymore! They were just the full leather version of the Magnum Classic Uniform boot.
The nearest full leather ones I can see now are the Viper Pro 8 leather.
I actually have the Viper Pro 8 non leather ones as my every day ones at the moment (leather and fabric) and they're brilliant.
I once had a pair of Magnum classics for around 15 years, worn pretty much everyday and there was still loads of tread left on them, they just last for ever...

dochabanero

Sep 8, 2019
Sweden
I have no issues with the Himalaya boots what so ever. Only use them during autumn/winter when it is wet and muddy. Use Fox Defend (fire) pants over the shoes. Always have warm/dry feet after a ride. Ride flats, and sure - grip could be better. That however is something I’m willing to sacrifice to keep warm/dry.

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
Thanks James looks like max size 42 at the moment...or 48! .......hopefully new stock soon.

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
These do look good but sold out in all sizes......I have notifications set up on a couple of sites but they seem quite rare at the moment.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles