Winter boots

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
We were able to put my partner’s new North Waves to the test this weekend

E0B33207-ED62-4E2B-883D-554C7E035D05.jpeg

25 miles of puddly trails up at Hamsterley on Saturday, followed by a 25 mile xc ride across the moors on Sunday

The moor ride included a good one mile stretch of ‘bogs of doom’, and someone decided to put this little feature in our way en route back to the car:

IMG_4944.jpeg

She was only wearing Merino wool socks, not waterproof. Her feet & socks remained warm & dry all weekend, even after being submerged in water over the top of the neoprene ankle collar. Result 👍🏽

Last edited:

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
We were able to put my partner’s new North Waves to the test this weekend

View attachment 128396
Are these flat or clipless?

I recieved my Freerider EPS during the week and gave them a try today.

It was a dry day but we've had torrential rain for the past two weeks so the mud and slop was pretty bad.

I got the low top ones so paired them with a cheap set of gaiters to help keep the water out.

Looks really naff but pleased to say they did the job.

atJbjzg.jpg
I've had a pair of Freerider EPS (low) for about 4 years now. Mine are original 5/10 - before they were Adidas.
They're my default shoe, as I find them comfy and grippy.

I wear them on Scottish trails that are wet, but on a nice sunny day... so I've got shorts on.
The tongue / lining is like a giant sponge... so one splash, and your feet are soaked right through. They also take an eternity to dry out as their lining is so thick!

My dotty sole is starting to look a bit like swiss cheese from the pedal pins. They've probably done about 5000 miles, so I can't really complain. I'll definitely get another pair the same purely for the comfort / grip... but definitely not for their water resistance!!

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
A few years ago flat cliplesshard to find. Good selection now I'm finding only yhing is it's mostly online unless your somewhere with a few big bike shops.

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
Are these flat or clipless?

I've had a pair of Freerider EPS (low) for about 4 years now. Mine are original 5/10 - before they were Adidas.
They're my default shoe, as I find them comfy and grippy.

I wear them on Scottish trails that are wet, but on a nice sunny day... so I've got shorts on.
The tongue / lining is like a giant sponge... so one splash, and your feet are soaked right through. They also take an eternity to dry out as their lining is so thick!

My dotty sole is starting to look a bit like swiss cheese from the pedal pins. They've probably done about 5000 miles, so I can't really complain. I'll definitely get another pair the same purely for the comfort / grip... but definitely not for their water resistance!!

I thought this maybe the case which is why I paired them with gaiters to try and keep water from entering the tops.
I also always wear trousers, which over the top of the gaiters should help a bit.

They seemed to hold up pretty well, hoping with a coating of wax or water repellent spray they will suffice.

Agree they won't hold up well if your standing in puddles or caught in rain.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Just cheap ones from ebay. Now I know they work I'll look into getting some better ones I think

Bought some and kept my feet dry on Friday. There is a left and a right so the buckle needs to be on the outside rather than the inside (which is how I first fitted them which rubbed on the cranks).

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Yeti gaiters were fantastic totally covered the boot night mare to fit and take off the boot though.
Were a nightmare to fit first time and had to adjust on the ride. But now realise that when the underfoot buckles are the right tension don't unbuckle them, just slide the gaiters over the front of the shoe/boot then fasten the velcro at the back, and vice versa to remove.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Not being funny but why the hell would you push a bike through a ford🙄
..because there is less distance to fall if it goes tits-up..
A lot of ford's in this part of the world have a slimy bottom with traction at a premium ..so walking across makes a whole lot more sense than riding if you want to keep the rest of your body dry ..

shep

Nov 4, 2023
In a field
..because there is less distance to fall if it goes tits-up..
A lot of ford's in this part of the world have a slimy bottom with traction at a premium ..so walking across makes a whole lot more sense than riding if you want to keep the rest of your body dry ..
Yeah I get that but where's the fun....
It's a well known sport here to try and make it across the streams😁😳

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Yeah I get that but where's the fun....
It's a well known sport here to try and make it across the streams😁😳
..and in this part of the world ( we crossed three on yesterday's ride ) ..but I wouldn't blame anyone for dismounting in Autumn or Winter ..
I also think that she was testing the new boots to see exactly how waterproof they were..

shep

Nov 4, 2023
In a field
..and in this part of the world ( we crossed three on yesterday's ride ) ..but I wouldn't blame anyone for dismounting in Autumn or Winter ..
I also think that she was testing the new boots to see exactly how waterproof they were..
Furry muff....
I have a nemesis here which is a huge slab of soapstone on a very steep downhill section.
Made it up a few times on my analogue and down for that matter but not attempted it yet on my power bike.
It's been wet and it must be at about 1:2 gradient and 25-30ft long . It's nasty in the heat of summer . I'll get pics next time I'm there. It's a local hill climb race track.
Can't even walk it in the wet, I've scattered across it down once and made it 😕

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
Were a nightmare to fit first time and had to adjust on the ride. But now realise that when the underfoot buckles are the right tension don't unbuckle them, just slide the gaiters over the front of the shoe/boot then fasten the velcro at the back, and vice versa to remove.
They certainly help to keep the water out, not sure how long they will last as the straps on mine have started to unthread, I could resew them easily and for the price they work well.
I might look into something more durable as well though.

I fitted them the opposite to you though, put them onto the back of the shoe first and the velcro at the front over the laces, this way you can use the hook to hold them onto the laces.

As a side note, has anyone tried the silicone and white spirit waterproofing hack? I might give it a go on the laces and tongue of my EPS to stop them soaking up water.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I fitted them the opposite to you though, put them onto the back of the shoe first and the velcro at the front over the laces, this way you can use the hook to hold them onto the laces.
Think you put them on the intended way and I put them on back to front, but they work fine back to front and are dead easy to get on and off.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Yes some fit right to the front of boot if you take time to fit properly and keepa lot of water out.. I have a few pairs for hillwalking last forever .

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Worse if bike falls in and electrics pack in ten miles from home. Pushed through many burns. Mate has trek puts legs out and bombs through it then laughs at me faffing about.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I’ve had fairly good success with seasonal footwear but there’s always a limit. It’s only wet here for 10 months a year and the other 10 months are cold. (Metric system)😉

The Shimano spd boots are fairly good but the toe-box is a little small for me. The new model is a little wider apparently.

Bontrager winter boots are a must have for those snowy/cold conditions. A bit clunky …but what the heck.

But I don’t think there’s anything that will stop water ingress while you’re crossing a raging river. No one makes waterproof underwear …that I know of. I don’t have any pics of that because it was too dangerous to remove my iPhone from the ziplock bag.

IMG_6848.jpeg

IMG_6847.jpeg

IMG_6849.jpeg

Like everyone else I buy my riding pants one leg at a time 🤪. And when things get wet I dry them out with the boot warmer.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I’ve had fairly good success with seasonal footwear but there’s always a limit. It’s only wet here for 10 months a year and the other 10 months are cold. (Metric system)😉

The Shimano spd boots are fairly good but the toe-box is a little small for me. The new model is a little wider apparently.

Bontrager winter boots are a must have for those snowy/cold conditions. A bit clunky …but what the heck.

But I don’t think there’s anything that will stop water ingress while you’re crossing a raging river. No one makes waterproof underwear …that I know of. I don’t have any pics of that because it was too dangerous to remove my iPhone from the ziplock bag.

View attachment 128884

View attachment 128885

View attachment 128886

Like everyone else I buy my riding pants one leg at a time 🤪. And when things get wet I dry them out with the boot warmer.
Why have you one long and one short trouser. Apologies if you have a wooden leg.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Why have you one long and one short trouser. Apologies if you have a wooden leg.
When I’m financially embarrassed …I buy my riding pants one leg at a time 😛 .
(Or is it? I put my pants on one leg at a time.)I think I screwed up. 🤷‍♂️

Anyways, its a good way to regulate your core temperature 🤒.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles