Waterproof Jacket

z1ppy

E*POWAH Master
May 11, 2018
West Mids
Anything with pitzips (unless your a racing snake who doesn't sweat), then it doesn't matter how boil in the bag the material is. I have a ridiculously old decathlon softshell for winter and a Mammut coat for summer/full on wet weather days, obviously both with pitzips (& an annoying hood on the mammut).

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
yup you absolutely need pitzips.

all the same I find it's a case of wet from the inside or wet from the outside.

main thing is to stay warm, dry is less important though linked of course.

S D

Mar 26, 2019
Shelley
Don’t bother forking out for something Gortex , it’s no better at breathing than much cheaper stuff.
The pit zips sound like a better solution.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have an alpinestars waterproof jacket, extremely lightweight, unfortunately the more waterproof they are the less breathable!
Not necessarily! :unsure:
But you have to pay! :(

You can have high breathability AND high waterproof(ness?) together in one fabric. My Rohan Elite jacket was very expensive (£195! in the sale, down from £250!), but it can resist 20,000 mm of water pressure and can pass 20,000 gm of water vapour per m2 in 24 hours. Both of these are very high figures individually. To have both in one fabric (their Barricade fabric) is rare. In addition, the Barricade fabric can be machine washed 20 times and retain 80% of its performance without any re-proofing.

The Rohan Elite jacket is the only waterproof jacket I have ever worn that I don't end up sweating in to whilst biking and ending up with sweat pouring out of the cuffs. It doesn't need or have pit zips or other vents. The sleeves are roomy enough for the jacket to go over my elbow guards. I've worn Gore-Tex jackets of various types and while they are very good against most of the competition, they don't come close to Rohan's Barricade fabric. Unlike Gore-Tex, it doesn't matter if your sweaty skin is in direct contact with the fabric. OK, Rohan's Barricade fabric is expensive, but it is worth every single penny. You will be enjoying wearing the jacket years after you have forgotten how much it cost. :love:

Rohan still make the Elite jacket, but unfortunately only with a hood and not in a bike specific cut like mine. But I'd rather have that than go back to a Gore-Tex product.

For most of the time, I prefer a windproof top with a Durable Water Repellent coating (DWR). This has high breathability and can resist rain for an hour or so. Just keep it clean, and maintain the DWR coating with regular treatment (both very important).

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
I love my GoreTex ShakeDry jacket.
It's so thin, you don't notice it.
Absolutely waterproof and extremely breathable.
Packs up and is smaller than a tennis ball.
Expensive, but worth every penny.

thewildblue

Feb 14, 2019
Bucks
I went with the endura MT500, the day I got it we spent a whole day out in torrential ran in wales. I had seal skin socks, gloves and the MT500 jacket and trousers. After a 30 mile all day ride when we got back to the car, my shoes were soaked but I was dry underneath top and bottom including my feet, most impressive. I think I got both the overtrousers and jacket for about £310....managed to wangle a deal.

Trail-Niels

E*POWAH Master
Jul 15, 2019
Silkeborg, Denmark
I went with the endura MT500, the day I got it we spent a whole day out in torrential ran in wales. I had seal skin socks, gloves and the MT500 jacket and trousers. After a 30 mile all day ride when we got back to the car, my shoes were soaked but I was dry underneath top and bottom including my feet, most impressive. I think I got both the overtrousers and jacket for about £310....managed to wangle a deal.
I can only say that the Endura MT500 II jacket (and trousers as well) are well worth the money. It is virtually as waterproof as a gore-tex jacket, and has kept me dry on many rides since last autumn.

S D

Mar 26, 2019
Shelley
Lots of money seems to be the key. :eek:
The last jacket I bought was a well known brand and is labelled Gortex , it cost me £250 and it’s totally rubbish when it comes to breathability ,so I’m not convinced that paying more gets you a better jacket.
Maybe something more sinister is at work with the manufactures breathability claims.
Or could it be that goretex is made in various degrees of quality and some brands use lower quality fabric than others.

Trail-Niels

E*POWAH Master
Jul 15, 2019
Silkeborg, Denmark
The last jacket I bought was a well known brand and is labelled Gortex , it cost me £250 and it’s totally rubbish when it comes to breathability ,so I’m not convinced that paying more gets you a better jacket.
Maybe something more sinister is at work with the manufactures breathability claims.
Or could it be that goretex is made in various degrees of quality and some brands use lower quality fabric than others.
Unfortunatly you can’t equal a hefty price tag with quality, even though the two parameters often go hand in hand. I usually rely on what brands i’m familiar with and other users reviews. GoreTex is just the membrane and whatever some brands put on either side of it has an effect on breathability etc.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK

You need to look for the figures for waterproofness and breathability.

Some years ago, I bought a GoreTex PacLite jacket - it was not cheap! First trip out was in a heavy mist, the sort that drenches you without it actually raining. It was early on in my mtb experience and I know now that my windproof would have been better. It was also before I knew about various degrees of waterproofness and breathability. But all the mtb guys in the bike magazines had GoreTex and it seemed to have the best name. It was rubbish! My bare arms stuck to the fabric and I rapidly overheated. When I stopped riding, sweat ran out of the cuffs. I removed the jacket and I had to turn it inside out to dry it off.

I wrote to GoreTex, thinking it might be faulty. But they sent me a snotty letter saying that the fabric was not a one way valve and would keep sweat in just as efficiently as it kept rain out. They rejected my claim so I sold the jacket. I later learned that GoreTex recommend a long sleeved shirt underneath to prevent skin contact and to stop sweat touching the fabric. Hmmm, just when I need to keep cool, I have to add a layer! I avoided waterproof garments for years afterwards, concerned that if "the best in the business" (or so I thought) wouldn't work for me then I had no use for one. Then I came across Rohan's Barricade fabric (see my earlier post). I contacted Rohan and spoke to them about their fabric and related my GoreTex experience. The person I spoke to said that Barricade was very much better than the market leader (he didn't say so, but he meant GoreTex). It was in that conversation that I learned about how waterproofness and breathability are measured. Those "waterproof jacket in a bag" that you can pick up for a tenner in the High St, are operating at 5-10% of Barricade's performance.

PGR

May 12, 2019
Australia
If anyone is looking to waterproof weather gear like overshoes, gloves, jacket Seems, zippers, most small garments for riding or outdoor activities. I have a simple recipe that can be used on synthetics, natural fibres, and leather.. you won’t even know it’s on the garment you can throw it in the wash just like you normally do and it will still be waterproof ready to go when it’s dry.
And it will virtual have no smell, unlike beeswax and linseed oil that is used on canvas and outdoor stuff.
All you need is
1- a old paint brush just a cheap one.
2- a glass jam jar with a screw lid any old jar wil do.
3- a tube Of low odour clear silicon I use selleys.
4- a bottle of white spirts I use Diggers.
Then just mix Appx... 3 parts spirits + 1 part silicone in the jar and shake till it’s dissolved. The mix doesn’t have to be exact because the spirit will evaporate when it’s on the garment. You just brush it on and let it dry sometimes I will do a couple of coats just to be sure.
Try it on a piece of rag or old clothing let it dry and then put it under the tap you will be amazed how well it works.

E72149BA-9F74-4FCD-B558-5AC64F298BD2.jpeg

4C4C89FD-021D-4E83-8016-DEE828F4C633.jpeg

PGR

May 12, 2019
Australia
Yes your right breathability is key, it’s more for doing zippers, and the seams on your jacket. I have used it on my gloves that I have for rainy days.

SiDobsFig

Apr 20, 2019
Ross-on-Wye
Hi,

Very interesting replies. In winter UK I wear Sealskin gloves and sox so extremes stay warm.

As I am a really sweaty leaky sort of guy it’s a waste of time to try any stay dry. I just try and stay warm. I use a quality Marino Wool ( natural not man made s##t) on upper and lower and then Endura shorts and Fox top with all the breathable holes in it. The Gore jacket only comes out if I know I am in for a long downhill and the resulting wind resistance will make things colder. Getting wet with sweat, rain, hail or snow will eventually warm up if the Marino wicks well.

I once came of Afan (Wales UK) and it was sleeting and minus 6 at the top with Marino Wool and two Fox tops on and was warm after 5 hrs riding when I got back to the car in the dark. Didn’t need the Jacket as I was toasty underneath and the decent was protected by pines.

Actually the only thing dry on me was my feet because of my Sealskin Sox which was bizarre but the rest of my body was warm which I think makes riding more enjoyable.

I don’t think there’s a perfect combination, good luck finding what works for you in the end.

Agu

Feb 3, 2019
Estonia
I opted for Endura MT500 waterproof jacket, just because of high breathability.
  • symb-wproof.png
    Waterproofness: 18000
  • symb-bable.png
    Breathability: 64000
Works well.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I just ordered 2 Endura MT500 II jackets for my sons. We are doing a transalp next month riding from Home near Munich to Torbole, Lake Garda. got them on special for €149 which seemed a pretty good price for this jacket. I will be using my Dynafit new Goretex ski Touring jacket. It is pretty rugged, and has nice long ventilation zips under the arms, so I hope it is good for cycling in.

Last edited:

Andy Garnell

Apr 23, 2019
Germany
I have exactly the same combination. Excellent jacket and trousers.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles