• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Derestricting bosch smart system

timothe

Jun 2, 2023
UK
After a little bit of research I placed the magnet at my pedal. this makes the difference that your revolution is smaller and therefore your sensor is wrong. after 20km it still works. but the question now is whether the casting will detect this after a while? anyone experience?
Hey I got the same Canyon bike I believe 😊 Did you have to move something else other than the magnet? I can't seem to find the sensor on mine. Any help appreciated!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Hey I got the same Canyon bike I believe 😊 Did you have to move something else other than the magnet? I can't seem to find the sensor on mine. Any help appreciated!
The sensor is built into the actual motor. If you read through, most of this thread is about that and it's mentioned several times (though it has become a large thread !!!! :) )

timothe

Jun 2, 2023
UK
I read through thoroughly, and it's not clear if just moving the magnet near the motor is actually enough to fool the software.
The solutions from @megabobra and @Koekie seem to be more complicated and differ from other YT tutorials.
I'd like to make things clearer for me and everyone 😊
Also, I want to point out that @George (eBiketuner.com) told me on an email a Speedbox 1.0b would work on a bike with a rim magnet. I'm not sure they know what they're selling.

Sander

Dec 29, 2022
NL
I read through thoroughly, and it's not clear if just moving the magnet near the motor is actually enough to fool the software.
The solutions from @megabobra and @Koekie seem to be more complicated and differ from other YT tutorials.
Also, I want to point out that @George (eBiketuner.com) told me on an email a Speedbox 1.0b would work on a bike with a rim magnet. I'm not sure they know what they're selling.
Hi Timothe,

Or you have a spoke magnet or rotordisc magnet which triggers the sensor. There are plenty smart system tuning devices on the market that are placed between the input motor and output sensor. Or you have a smart system with an internal sensor (like mentioned before) and a rim magnet triggers this sensor. There is no device that you connect in between the sensor and rim magnet. So Megabobra and Koekie came with a brilliant and simple solution to mimic the rim magnet. The electromagnet will fire conform the codes Magabobra and Koekie have written. The electromagnet fools the internal sensor of the motor. Simple, no interference of the software of Bosch. I've ridden the Megabobra for aprox 500km with no issues at all.

-Matt

Aug 14, 2022
Stroud
So my experience with the speedbox 1.0 over the last month has not been perfect...
Ive had a few freezes of the battery percentage while using it - which required a system restart, but had been working fine for around 300 miles.
It transformed the bike.

However then yesterday i decided to ride it to work and back, and when i got back i got the dreaded "speed manipulation" error message.
I suspect what did it was 16 miles on the road while significantly above 25kph.

Just been for the 90 min ride to reset, man its hard work going up steep hills - the 51 tooth has never seen soo much work!
after the 90 mins i turned it off, back on and the system reset. I now have full assistance again.

TBH 90% of my riding doesn't require a higher limit, its mostly while going for a jump that requires a bit more speed etc

So thinking of putting it back on, but only turning it on when really needing it - at bike parks etc, and even then its only for tiny amounts of time that i will be above the limit.

Its a shame, but don't really want it to happen again!

timothe

Jun 2, 2023
UK
you have a smart system with an internal sensor (like mentioned before) and a rim magnet triggers this sensor. There is no device that you connect in between the sensor and rim magnet. So Megabobra and Koekie came with a brilliant and simple solution to mimic the rim magnet. The electromagnet will fire conform the codes Magabobra and Koekie have written. The electromagnet fools the internal sensor of the motor. Simple, no interference of the software of Bosch. I've ridden the Megabobra for aprox 500km with no issues at all.
Agreed. Then would moving the original magnet on the pedal crank be enough to trick the sensor? It seems so looking at @Jeroenimo 's mod. It seems really easy, hence my question 😁

samjlevy

Jan 27, 2023
Manchester UK
This also seems like a good solution.
I've been using their products for 7 years on 3 different bikes and has been working very well. Support is also fast and good if you have an issue.
( not yet have a smart motor)
Has anyone tried this on the Smart System?

I sent them a few emails and got the following back:

There is no error 504 with the Bosch Smart System, this is only present in motors from before. Our tuning for the Bosch Smart System we ourselves have driven over 6000 km in the meantime.

dlatch

Jun 7, 2023
Uk
Definitely wanting to up my speed limit to 20 to 25mph on my canyon strive on playing with the flow app it seems to me Bosch have already opened the door for this to happen via Bluetooth and altering the rear wheel size. Knowing nothing of programming I suspect creating a app that would connect to the bike and change rear wheel parameters to 20" or smaller should be plenty. Would happily not use the flow app infact it's actually my preference and seems wise to never connect the bike to a data connection.

timothe

Jun 2, 2023
UK
@dlatch is right, changing the wheel size is changing the top speed, I can go down to 1987mm circumference and it makes me gain somewhat 3-4 kmh plus more assistance downhill. Maybe someone will be able to create an app to alter some parameters without being flagged by the engine (such as unleashed for Cowboy bikes)? This would be a very neat solution!

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
My issue is fixed. I had contact with the company. They suggested that I check if the pins weren’t bent. 1 pin was bent. I installed it again and it works. Will be posting here if I get errors on the long run.
Any problems? Is it still working? If so, what speeds are you getting ? Do you use the flow app? I’m considering one, so I’m curious to know.

timothe

Jun 2, 2023
UK
Hi guys

After a little bit of research I placed the magnet at my pedal. this makes the difference that your revolution is smaller and therefore your sensor is wrong. after 20km it still works. but the question now is whether the casting will detect this after a while? anyone experience?
View attachment 111766
I didn't want to believe it, but unscrewing the magnet to put it on the pedal crank is the dumbest or the most genious workaround I've seen.
It works flawlessly, tried for 5 km. Assistance above 40 km/h. ebike flow shows an average of 4 km/h.

dlatch

Jun 7, 2023
Uk
I didn't want to believe it, but unscrewing the magnet to put it on the pedal crank is the dumbest or the most genious workaround I've seen.
It works flawlessly, tried for 5 km. Assistance above 40 km/h. ebike flow shows an average of 4 km/h.

Might have to give this a try as well 😁

Lavouch

Jun 5, 2023
Belgium
It worked indeed. But the assistance seems somewhat unstable at different speeds i found.

Feb 2, 2020
Dorset
Hey Timothe, I can assure you my team and I know what we're selling. I apologise if we missed that your ebike has a rim magnet. We're finding new models coming through with all sorts of different configurations. It makes it an almost impossible job to recommend chips without getting a photo prior to purchase.

We do our best to let customers know about compatibility but sometimes things can be missed, that's the nature of the business.

Anyway, feel free to message me privately if you'd like to discuss anything else

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Any evidence / experience about being called out by the various brands on this?
It's the motor not the brand.

It's well known with the smart system that the old magnet on the cranks trick doesn;t work anymore.

after awhile your bike will go into limp mode and the motor will be flagged as tampered with, if it already hasn't been flagged.
then bosch will say your warranty is void if you need a replacement

dlatch

Jun 7, 2023
Uk
Interesting to note on the latest smart system with the flow app installed on my phone but not connected to the bike android repeatedly warned me flow app was accessing my gps position. As a tampering detection risk you certainly can't have the flow app connected to your bike or associated with the bike.
Imagine if you used your ebike on your own private land but could not remove the limiter I would happily void my warranty to rid myself of the nanny state interference

megabobra

Jul 24, 2022
Australia
Hi guys,
For those of you with the rim magnet: I've got something worked out to assist with the alignment of the electromagnet used in the Megabobra derestricting device. Seems like some of you who have tried the Megabobra already have had great success with it, but I know I've found the initial magnet placement frustrating. Once the location is found, happy days.

Leveraging Koekie's idea, the device now sports two modes: Setup and Running. Setup mode is entered by plugging a small jumper (like a switch) into the device. Once removed, the mode will default to Running. In setup mode, the magnet pulses at a constant interval. Using the Flow app, you tweak the location of the magnet until a constant speed is displayed. Once the speed sits unchanged, you can set the device to Running mode. In this mode, the standard Megabobra code is used with multiplier to unlock higher assisted speeds.

This would still need some further testing to fine tune but looks promising. As this irons out the greatest gripe I had with the device, I'm considering making a small batch if there's any interest. These would be based on an updated Arduino board and incorporate all code to date, along with the setup functionality mentioned above.

Can I get some feedback from those who might be interested in purchasing a complete plug & play setup?

Also very keen to hear from you if you've still using the original Megabobra device - feedback, complaints, suggestions?

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
Hi guys,
For those of you with the rim magnet: I've got something worked out to assist with the alignment of the electromagnet used in the Megabobra derestricting device. Seems like some of you who have tried the Megabobra already have had great success with it, but I know I've found the initial magnet placement frustrating. Once the location is found, happy days.

Leveraging Koekie's idea, the device now sports two modes: Setup and Running. Setup mode is entered by plugging a small jumper (like a switch) into the device. Once removed, the mode will default to Running. In setup mode, the magnet pulses at a constant interval. Using the Flow app, you tweak the location of the magnet until a constant speed is displayed. Once the speed sits unchanged, you can set the device to Running mode. In this mode, the standard Megabobra code is used with multiplier to unlock higher assisted speeds.

This would still need some further testing to fine tune but looks promising. As this irons out the greatest gripe I had with the device, I'm considering making a small batch if there's any interest. These would be based on an updated Arduino board and incorporate all code to date, along with the setup functionality mentioned above.

Can I get some feedback from those who might be interested in purchasing a complete plug & play setup?

Also very keen to hear from you if you've still using the original Megabobra device - feedback, complaints, suggestions?
I’m sure there would be plenty of buyers from the Facebook Pole owners group that have Voimas with rim magnets If they knew there was something available for them. I had one, but I sold it and got the new model with the rotor magnet speed sensor, so I don’t need one now. Otherwise I would have gotten one fore sure.

Last edited:

dlatch

Jun 7, 2023
Uk
Definitely interested in anything that will work but not familiar with your megabobra even a mild limit raise to 21mph would be great for me

Sander

Dec 29, 2022
NL
Hi guys,

Still using the original (no resistor at selfmade coil and base transistor). Did run 800km so far. No hick ups.
Made one for my friend (also a pole Voima) with resistor coil and at base transitor. Same spot coil as mine! No hick ups also. 🚀🚀🤪. The Bobra rules✊.

tatane

Jun 25, 2023
Southern France
Hi guys,

Hey, been following these developments with quite some interest and just registered here so I can register my interest in a complete, plug & play setup from you (altho I'll still try to build my own device in the meanwhile, I'd like to have something that's better integrated and get the opportunity to support your work rather then someone else stealing it and overpricing it ;) )

On a sidenote, it seems like some (eplus) didn't wait and started selling their own megagbobra without even crediting you, but on a bright side it seems they did figure out the internal sensor placement and provide some guideline on how to locate it : (interestingly they didn't think of Koekie's idea to simplify finding the exact spot nor your more recent one to add a switch so that both codes could be in the device with a simple switch to go from setup mode to standard mode, kinda tell how much of an overpriced rip-off that is)

Sander

Dec 29, 2022
NL
Hey, been following these developments with quite some interest and just registered here so I can register my interest in a complete, plug & play setup from you (altho I'll still try to build my own device in the meanwhile, I'd like to have something that's better integrated and get the opportunity to support your work rather then someone else stealing it and overpricing it ;) )

On a sidenote, it seems like some (eplus) didn't wait and started selling their own megagbobra without even crediting you, but on a bright side it seems they did figure out the internal sensor placement and provide some guideline on how to locate it : (interestingly they didn't think of Koekie's idea to simplify finding the exact spot nor your more recent one to add a switch so that both codes could be in the device with a simple switch to go from setup mode to standard mode, kinda tell how much of an overpriced rip-off that is)
Eplus: what a hustle!😂 Like a said: Bobra rules. Original, cheap, simple and satisfying. 🚀

Lavouch

Jun 5, 2023
Belgium
Hi guys,

I'm interested

timothe

Jun 2, 2023
UK
It's the motor not the brand.

It's well known with the smart system that the old magnet on the cranks trick doesn;t work anymore.

after awhile your bike will go into limp mode and the motor will be flagged as tampered with, if it already hasn't been flagged.
then bosch will say your warranty is void if you need a replacement
No I get that. It's a temporary workaround, with the risk of being flagged. Although across the board I didn't read any report of Bosch refusing warranty after that (thus my provocative reply).
Kudos to @megabobra for developing their solution and @tatane for flagging the new ebike plus solution, you rock!

littleleye

Jun 25, 2023
the Netherlands
Hi guys,

I have been following this topic since I bought my e-bike. I registered to the forum once I saw @megabobra his announcement. Just like @tatane I would be very much interested in buying the plug-and-play solution from the inventor. Keep me posted/contact me for more details.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles