• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

PearTune with Bosch SMART SYSTEM

JohnnyG37

Mar 31, 2023
Norfolk UK
Following. I’ve read some horror stories about Bosch Smart systems erroring and getting locked into limp mode after fitting the Speedbox device. I really want to hear positive reviews on the PearTune MSO for Bosch Smart system before installing on my bike (Cube Stereo Action Team 2022).

Cupracraig

Jan 20, 2023
Mendips
a good friend has been running this now for about 200 miles with no issues and hes loving life1 i am not loving being so behind on the boring flat sections.. On the hills though there not much difference to be had

JohnnyG37

Mar 31, 2023
Norfolk UK
Ok guys, I’ve taken the plunge, and fitted the PearTune MSO to my 2022 Cube Stereo Action Team 160 HPC 750. All seems to be working well and loving not hitting that brick wall at 15mph. Very straightforward installation and the dongle comes ready configured, so it’s literally plug and play. I got into a bit of a tizz trying to follow the PearTune YouTube video at the chip recognition and calibration, eventually I read the instructions that came with the dongle and realised it was already configured. Took the bike for a quick test ride of c.5 miles and came back with a smile from ear to ear, definitely the best fun you can have with your clothes on 😁
The Cube has a Bosch Performance Line CX with Kiox 300 Smart system.
I’ve bought the PearTune MSO 3.0 SMART Normal version (SKU: PT-MSO-3.0-B2-SMRT)
Cost was £250
Hopefully all will be well and I don’t experience the dreaded ‘error 504’. I will keep you all updated on how it goes.

Cupracraig

Jan 20, 2023
Mendips
Yeah the set up was something we got confused about but later realised it was all good. Activate by holding the walk assist button briefly. Super piece of kit

Fuzz

Jun 2, 2020
Yarrahapinni, NSW, Australia
Ok guys, I’ve taken the plunge, and fitted the PearTune MSO to my 2022 Cube Stereo Action Team 160 HPC 750. All seems to be working well and loving not hitting that brick wall at 15mph. Very straightforward installation and the dongle comes ready configured, so it’s literally plug and play. I got into a bit of a tizz trying to follow the PearTune YouTube video at the chip recognition and calibration, eventually I read the instructions that came with the dongle and realised it was already configured. Took the bike for a quick test ride of c.5 miles and came back with a smile from ear to ear, definitely the best fun you can have with your clothes on 😁
Cost was £250
Hopefully all will be well and I don’t experience the dreaded ‘error 504’. I will keep you all updated on how it goes.
Great feedback JohnnyG37, please do update how it's going with the PearTune. Also, do you use the App on your phone, or just stick to the Kiox? Cheers

JohnnyG37

Mar 31, 2023
Norfolk UK
Great feedback JohnnyG37, please do update how it's going with the PearTune. Also, do you use the App on your phone, or just stick to the Kiox? Cheers
All is going well, amazing mod to the bike. I am sticking to just using the Kiox and I will not be updating it or connecting it to my phone as I’m paranoid about something going wrong. The PearTune instructions say they will not be responsible if software is updated, so I’m not going to risk anything. I also don’t switch the bike off manually after riding, I just let it the unit switch itself off.
I’ll give another update in a few weeks or so.

Cupracraig

Jan 20, 2023
Mendips
the general advice is that if you have a tuning box installed, dont connect to your phone.
Also if you can, wait until you are out of warranty. I'm waiting as i've had a few issues with the bike already and the warranty has been worth keeping

JohnnyG37

Mar 31, 2023
Norfolk UK
All is going well, amazing mod to the bike. I am sticking to just using the Kiox and I will not be updating it or connecting it to my phone as I’m paranoid about something going wrong. The PearTune instructions say they will not be responsible if software is updated, so I’m not going to risk anything. I also don’t switch the bike off manually after riding, I just let it the unit switch itself off.
I’ll give another update in a few weeks or so
the general advice is that if you have a tuning box installed, dont connect to your phone.
Also if you can, wait until you are out of warranty. I'm waiting as i've had a few issues with the bike already and the warranty has been worth keeping
I have fitted the PearTune about 1 week after buying the bike new from my LBS. If I need to use the warranty the tuning box can be removed in about 5 minutes. PearTune also state that there will be no record of the tuning box being fitted. The bike speedometer records actual speed up to 23km/hr and over this the speed is shown as the last two digits, ie 33km/hr is shown as 23.3km/hr

Cupracraig

Jan 20, 2023
Mendips
I’ll give another update in a few weeks or so

I have fitted the PearTune about 1 week after buying the bike new from my LBS. If I need to use the warranty the tuning box can be removed in about 5 minutes. PearTune also state that there will be no record of the tuning box being fitted. The bike speedometer records actual speed up to 23km/hr and over this the speed is shown as the last two digits, ie 33km/hr is shown as 23.3km/hr

Yeah thats fine, just a risk you take. i'm all for them.

From personal experience owning VCDS and being able to diagnose my VW/Audi vehicles directly, i can tell you that everything is recorded. I would suspect that the Bosch software does a similar job in taking and storing readings from the measuring blocks within the system. So if you are smashing it over the 23kmph regularly but your wattage input via the pedals does not correlate to that, then they can tell. If i was a developer for the bike software, this would be one of the places that i'd look to put come kind of checks in place for tampering.

I had to have a battery replaced due to an issue and that alone would have been about £800.. so for me, maintining the warranty is important on this bike.

JohnnyG37

Mar 31, 2023
Norfolk UK
Yeah thats fine, just a risk you take. i'm all for them.

From personal experience owning VCDS and being able to diagnose my VW/Audi vehicles directly, i can tell you that everything is recorded. I would suspect that the Bosch software does a similar job in taking and storing readings from the measuring blocks within the system. So if you are smashing it over the 23kmph regularly but your wattage input via the pedals does not correlate to that, then they can tell. If i was a developer for the bike software, this would be one of the places that i'd look to put come kind of checks in place for tampering.

I had to have a battery replaced due to an issue and that alone would have been about £800.. so for me, maintining the warranty is important on this bike.
Thanks, I didn’t realise that. However, if it’s my LBS who I bought the bike from, they are aware I’ve fitted the Pear Tune, and I’ve already had the discussion about not updating software etc when I bring it in for service. I do realise it’s a risk even so, so I hope all goes well.

THE-WISHMASTER

Jul 15, 2022
Netherlands
If I may ask, what are youre software versions of all components?
And where you install the install the unit of the peartune, there is just little space behind the plastic motorcover 😬
I have also the Cube Stereo Actionteam 2022
And thinking of the peartune or the bikespeed-rs *heard there were also a lot of good stories with the smart system.

R6yamaha37

Jun 9, 2023
Kent
Hi, first post on here, I fitted a peartune to my smart system about a month ago, covered over 500 miles, absolutely no problems, couldn't be happier, had a speedbox 3 fitted to my previous bike,Loved it with no issues, sadly it didn't fit the smart system, was reluctant to change to the peartune, but that was the advice I was given, no regrets, works perfect, so far!

JohnnyG37

Mar 31, 2023
Norfolk UK
Still no problems with the Pear Tune. I had a service recently, asked then NOT to upgrade the software system. Bike running like a dream, awesome getting up to full speed on long straight single track.

R6yamaha37

Jun 9, 2023
Kent
Still no problems with the Pear Tune. I had a service recently, asked then NOT to upgrade the software system. Bike running like a dream, awesome getting up to full speed on long straight single track.
I have covered over 2000 miles on the bike so far and I have not had one single issue with the pear tune, great bit of kit 👍

pellett655

Jun 22, 2023
Ohio, USA
I have a Pole Voima with the Bosch CX Race motor and the disc speed sensor.
Installed the Peartune PT-MSO-B2-SMART after hating the original 20mph cutoff and riding the bike for a couple of months.

Installation was plug and play and no calibration needed. Hardest part of the install was tucking in the Peartune inside the motor shrouds.

Happy to report no issues so far with the Peartune mod after riding for over 100 miles.

Roby

Oct 24, 2023
Slovakia
Hi. I am about to get my Cube Stereo Hybrid 140 ActionTeam 2023 being delivered this week. From what I can see you all seems to be pretty happy with this PearTune chip so I am giving it a try. Hopefully mine will arrive also pre calibrated and will be plug and play game

MCIwoo

Jun 15, 2023
Czech Republic
Following. I’ve read some horror stories about Bosch Smart systems erroring and getting locked into limp mode after fitting the Speedbox device. I really want to hear positive reviews on the PearTune MSO for Bosch Smart system before installing on my bike (Cube Stereo Action Team 2022).
Distributors say Volspeed or Peartune have the same problems. Bosch smart is a nightmare.

MCIwoo

Jun 15, 2023
Czech Republic
Cost was £250
Hello. How is peartune tuning working so far? Did an error appear? Thanks.

MCIwoo

Jun 15, 2023
Czech Republic
Hi, first post on here, I fitted a peartune to my smart system about a month ago, covered over 500 miles, absolutely no problems, couldn't be happier, had a speedbox 3 fitted to my previous bike,Loved it with no issues, sadly it didn't fit the smart system, was reluctant to change to the peartune, but that was the advice I was given, no regrets, works perfect, so far!
Speedbox now have a new smart system chip. They seem to have reworked the original chip quite a bit.

Cupracraig

Jan 20, 2023
Mendips
i think the general theme is that if you fit a device, don't connect the bike to the App. My friend still has no issues with his and its been a long time now

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles