Bafang m820

Adam_TrailBK

Aug 24, 2023
Slovensko
I installed GO+ and it wanted to update my controller. look at the voltage number...

Screenshot_20231122_193630_BAFANG GO+.jpg

Freda

Feb 5, 2023
Vaasa
I get this same message every time I start GO+. It wants me to update to a 36V firmware even if I am on 48V firmware.

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
A bug, and same in Besst. I did get only once an offer to update firmware from server, but also wrong voltage.

tepe

Nov 22, 2023
PL
Hi guys, i'm preparing for first chinees bike order: CEF50 + M820, but few hours of reading i still don't know which battery setup i should choose:
  • 36v
  • 43v
  • 48v

My options:
a) do more heavy setup: 720WH/36v or 700WH/48v (aluminium frame ~ 4kg)
b) light version: 48v/480wh, 36v/540wh (this is new setup in carbon frame, waight ~ 2,4kg)

Now i have shimano E7000 with 2 year old 504WH battery, and in 30% of rides i need to have charger with me, or i will be out of battery at he end of the ride.

My questions:
  1. It's better to have 36v or 48V
  2. Why bafang recomend 43V, and most of batteries are 36v or 48v ?
  3. Doeas motor always need to have FW version that correspond with battery voltage ? Or it's possible to have battery 36V and 43V / 48V FW, (if yes, does it help?)
  4. Water bottle range extenders, i read that it's possible only with 36V battery, true or false ?

brbr

Dec 28, 2022
France
Hi guys, i'm preparing for first chinees bike order: CEF50 + M820, but few hours of reading i still don't know which battery setup i should choose:
  • 36v
  • 43v
  • 48v

My options:
a) do more heavy setup: 720WH/36v or 700WH/48v (aluminium frame ~ 4kg)
b) light version: 48v/480wh, 36v/540wh (this is new setup in carbon frame, waight ~ 2,4kg)

Now i have shimano E7000 with 2 year old 504WH battery, and in 30% of rides i need to have charger with me, or i will be out of battery at he end of the ride.

My questions:
  1. It's better to have 36v or 48V
  2. Why bafang recomend 43V, and most of batteries are 36v or 48v ?
  3. Doeas motor always need to have FW version that correspond with battery voltage ? Or it's possible to have battery 36V and 43V / 48V FW, (if yes, does it help?)
  4. Water bottle range extenders, i read that it's possible only with 36V battery, true or false ?
Hey,
I’ll let others comment but my thoughts :
1- tye higher the voltage, the lower the amps for a similar power, so less heat
2- they said it was a good compromise between heat management and cells placement in the battery casing
3- someone on the forum run a 48v battery on a 43v firmware, which allows to use (almost) all the capacity of the battery before the cutout , other mixing are not possible
4- you can find 36v and 48v easily, 43v they don’t exist and yiu’ll need to go diy

tepe

Nov 22, 2023
PL
4- you can find 36v and 48v easily, 43v they don’t exist and yiu’ll need to go diy

Any recommended and tested 48V version? How to use this water bottle battery? It's plug a into charging port? Or it's more complicated?

brbr

Dec 28, 2022
France
Any recommended and tested 48V version? How to use this water bottle battery? It's plug a into charging port? Or it's more complicated?
it's a bit more complicated, you need to have a diode to ensure nothing will flow from the original battery to the range extender. Or you can just decide to plug the range extender when your main battery is lower in voltage than you range extender

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
There is very little room for a bottle battery on the CEF50 so be very sure a battery will fit before you purchase.

tepe

Nov 22, 2023
PL
There is very little room for a bottle battery on the CEF50 so be very sure a battery will fit before you purchase.

Now i'm more convinced to 700WH / 48V, and don't bother with bottle battery at all. It's not so easy to decide what to choose...

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
It is easy to choose. If you ride long epic rides then get the 720whr. If you ride short 1-2 hr rides then save weight with the smaller batteries. As noted before the higher the voltage the lower the current draw. But the limiting factor is the availability of batteries for a particular voltage chosen.

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
And soon will be available to use one-up cell battery with new K1 BBR device. (so 43V firmware and 48V battery or 48V and 52V battery)
With good SOC reading and even lower discharge capability - down to 3V per cell.

Last edited:

kevinkeenan

Jul 31, 2023
US
I have a BAFANG m820 motor and when I try to move the bike backwards or when it’s in the stand, rotate the rear wheel backwards, the motor has resistance and sound like I’m trying to spin the motor backwards. Like a grinding sound but not really grinding. Any thoughts?

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Dec 31, 2020
UK
I have a BAFANG m820 motor and when I try to move the bike backwards or when it’s in the stand, rotate the rear wheel backwards, the motor has resistance and sound like I’m trying to spin the motor backwards. Like a grinding sound but not really grinding. Any thoughts?
I'm not having that issue in terms of resistance. I can hear a whining sound from the motor. But that's common on some geared motors.
Try moving the chainring anti clockwise with the chain somewhere in the middle of the cassette. You should only hear a whining sound from the motor. But the resistance should be minimal from the chainring/spider. Moving the back wheel anti clockwise or pushing the bike backwards and feeling resistance could be due too a motor issue. But it may be due to (but not limited to),
•rear wheel out of true,
•worn jockey wheels on the derailleur,
•an un-lubed chain, •freehub body engagement failure, •chainline misalignment,
•Bent derailleur,
•not having enough/having to much links on the chain,
•B-Tension screw on derailleur not set correctly,
•disk rotors rubbing on the brake pads,
Etc.
If it helps, I can quickly shoot a video demonstrating what mine sounds like and the little effort required to spin the back wheel with the chain on the chainring.
Bare with me👍🏿

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
Kevin, thats just common behaviour of Bafangs. There is a clutch inside and when you ratate with chainring backwards, clutch is engaged and you spinning also rotor. Then it jumps over magnet poles and you hear a play in gearing and you feel resistance.

Last edited:

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
You are essential using it as a generator when you pedal backwards. The resistance is in the magnetic pull in the windings.

kevinkeenan

Jul 31, 2023
US
I have a video but I’m not sure how to upload it yet. I’ll try searching around to figure out the video upload issue.
I’ve demo’d bikes with the same motor before and this isn’t normal. It’s not anything with the chain or wheel because when I remove them and grab the front spider and try to spin that backwards, it does the same thing. It’s very hard to turn backwards.

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
Video is in attached .zip file.
Gottya. That doesn't sound right.
32sec in the video, I turn the spider/chainring with minimal effort. You can hear a whining sound as well as the freehub engagement.

At present, my usual avenues for sourcing spare parts for bafang motors (GBK, Titan Pro etc), haven't stock piled parts specific for the M820 motor. But if it helps, I can make enquiries to see how best to get Your motor repaired or replaced.

Did you buy the motor through a random Alibaba or Aliexpress merchant?

Please kindly let me know, as this may determine whether my contacts can resolve the problem under warranty or not👍🏿

kevinkeenan

Jul 31, 2023
US
Gottya. That doesn't sound right.
32sec in the video, I turn the spider/chainring with minimal effort. You can hear a whining sound as well as the freehub engagement.

At present, my usual avenues for sourcing spare parts for bafang motors (GBK, Titan Pro etc), haven't stock piled parts specific for the M820 motor. But if it helps, I can make enquiries to see how best to get Your motor repaired or replaced.

Did you buy the motor through a random Alibaba or Aliexpress merchant?

Please kindly let me know, as this may determine whether my contacts can resolve the problem under warranty or not👍🏿
I have a contact. Thank you for your help, though. I was just hoping it was something someone might have seen and we didn’t have to replace the motor.

Also, when I do what you did in the video, it takes two hands.

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
I have a contact. Thank you for your help, though. I was just hoping it was something someone might have seen and we didn’t have to replace the motor.

Also, when I do what you did in the video, it takes two hands.
Personally, I'd look to get the motor serviced/repaired/exchanged if you're encountering that much resistance.
Currently, I've only put 200miles on my m820. But I'll bare your experiences in mind. I suspect your mileage is relatively low in the grand scheme of things.

Any issues or hick-ups, don't hesitate to reach out to me👍🏿

kevinkeenan

Jul 31, 2023
US
Personally, I'd look to get the motor serviced/repaired/exchanged if you're encountering that much resistance.
Currently, I've only put 200miles on my m820. But I'll bare your experiences in mind. I suspect your mileage is relatively low in the grand scheme of things.

Any issues or hick-ups, don't hesitate to reach out to me👍🏿
Mileage is 0. 😂
Thank you for your assistance and offer to help. 👍

Pinkee

Jul 5, 2023
Australia
Hi everyone. I am trying to change the speed limit for the m820. it is currently set at 32. I want to change to 45. I have besst tool, but when I try to write the new limit it says "Dealer or assembler cant change to higher".

How is everyone changing the limit?

Freda

Feb 5, 2023
Vaasa
Hi everyone. I am trying to change the speed limit for the m820. it is currently set at 32. I want to change to 45. I have besst tool, but when I try to write the new limit it says "Dealer or assembler cant change to higher".

How is everyone changing the limit?
Install old version of besst from github and change it to whatever you want up to 60km/h. At least on version 1.2.20 it works.

borysgo2

Feb 1, 2023
Ireland
Mod : Copied from another thread as it's useful.

The Motor is easy to open. First remove C clip at the drive side, than unscrew a few bolts around the housing.

There is no need to unscrew 3 bolts from the motor itself at non drive side.

When putting back together do not overtighten the bolts around motor housing.

IMG_20231106_213008_edit_1057215469233891.jpg IMG_20231106_213017_edit_1057203475893062.jpg IMG_20231106_210444_edit_1057231972969145.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
It's the grease inside (lithium) or you have added it ?
You've not tagged him so he probably won't reply, but in the other thread he said :

"
Looks like professional work here. Did You already assemble the motor and do a test ride? Reduced noise level / whining?
I have done about 100km after I putt it back together. Noise level I roughly the same. Used molykote pg75 grease.

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
Tested yesterday. Clearly if you usually don't use the max power of M510, the M820 as a good choice. A little bit more noisly but very playfull use.
Those has been surprise me the most is the consumtion, near 2 x less than M510. clearly if you don't empty the 700W battery (keep 20 / 30 %), you can save weight by using 500W to do the same thing.

Other interesting point with the DPC263 HMI, you can easly choice qty of mode (3 / 5 / 9), has every choice can be parametred separately in BESSTpro, you can set several various functioning and easly change on track.

The bad points are that you can't use an throttle to have efficient walk mode. You can build an switch -, but as speed is too low, it's necessary to change also gears. Other bad point whith the DPC263, the human power input indication don't display value, i hope bafang will provide software update to allow that, it's very interesting information in add of motor power output and the cadency.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles