Bafang M500/M600 Tuning & The BESST Tool

Mida

Oct 23, 2022
ČR
Hi,
What actually happens if I upload the M600 firmware 36V to the M500 motor? Assuming I change the first byte in the firmware to upload it.
Can I damage the engine? What power will the M500 motor go if I use the 15A M600 firmware? How many amps max?

Kyokushin

Mar 28, 2021
Sol
Hi,
What actually happens if I upload the M600 firmware 36V to the M500 motor? Assuming I change the first byte in the firmware to upload it.
Can I damage the engine? What power will the M500 motor go if I use the 15A M600 firmware? How many amps max?
It will halve the output power.

At this point of knowledge that we have - to go higher power on M500 you need to have controller from M600.
I got one, i am on 18Amps (actually this firmware marked 18 have 20A peak 48V) since the year. Working like a charm for me. Downside its slightly overheat if you ride at full speed for example on 15-20 minutes, then its cut power to 14 Amps - but at this point - its cooling very quickly - for example one stop on red light and you're cool enough, so temperature protection is working correctly.

vikino1

Oct 14, 2021
Slovakia Topoľčany
Hi,
Is the 17A FW on Github not enough for you? I am satisfied with him.

ficorama

Oct 9, 2021
Croatia
Hello everyone. I have a Bafang m500 motor for sale. in the set: motor, cranks 170mm, display and shifter dp c240, hub speed sensor and all cables necessary for connection (motor, battery, screen, sensor) I will post pictures later and price please message. the engine was used for 700-800 km. completely correct and functional.

vext

Aug 11, 2022
Los Angeles
I just completed an M600 build and have firmware 46.9 installed. Has anyone compared this firmware to other versions? I ask because I was riding with my father (who's 80!) on the steep and his Brose was in a higher gear than me and going much faster up hill. I can keep the cadence fine but to do so I had to use a lower gear and he basically trounced me up the steep fire road. Put differently - I tried to be in the same gear and the m600 could not match the torque. Note again he's 80 and I'm in better physical shape so it was not a "if you push harder you'd keep up" issue.

Of note, I had more battery left by a lot (un-scientific of course) and my gut tells me I'm faster on the flat.

Has anyone compared 46.9 to other versions? (I read the whole thread and see no reference to 46.9 but if I missed it I apologize)

Last edited:

vext

Aug 11, 2022
Los Angeles
there is no possibility to download a firmware from controller
Has anyone found the 46.9 bin?

I have a question for those who know...

This is my display.... on firmware 46.9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/sRUCVhzoVub8SgjY8

Note in the pic the watts cap at 750.

This is another m600/e10 bike ... on unknown firmware

https://volitionebike.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/DSCF9575-scaled.jpeg

Note in the pic the watts cap at 1500.

QUESTIONS
1) Does this suggest my new firmware (46.9) is capped at 750 watts?
2) Are there known firmwares that allow up to 1500 watts?
3) If so which ones? (i'm assuming maybe 46.7)

vext

Aug 11, 2022
Los Angeles
@Kyokushin and all...
Here's the latest firmware 46.9 for the m600. I downgraded to 46.7 for a quick comparison and my first impressions are that it is very similar but I'm eager to hear what you guys think. Attached.

Attachments

• CRX10NC4818i132046.9-28-2230-20220315.bin
    72.6 KB · Views: 146

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
New M600 43V controller replacement not flashing with BESST tool (BT)...here's the error message: "Main data is empty. Please check whether controller is powered".

1. It reads the HMI display, but not the battery or controller when BT is patched into the display.
2. The power works mode is "on" because I use vibration mode for on/off.
3. The power and new controller work but with rough transmission engagement. Plus, the 20 mph cutoff is now 15 mph limited.
4. HX: Error code 30 was originally occuring (was advised to replace by a Bafang M600 dealer) thus the need to change controller. I also just overhauled the motor with new grease after 2,500 mi.

Pissed off for something that should be a quick calibration. (Even if the old controller wasn't really bad.) Frustrated that no help from my LBS, who typically hate Bafang anyway.

Suggestions or similar experiences? Any assistance is appreciated.

glenngb

Feb 13, 2023
Norway
Hi folks!
I currently have crx10nc3615i142017.8 on my m500. Where can I get a backup for this? Latest on GitHub is .5 dated 2years ago.
And where can I get the 12A FW that many were pleased with..? @Kyokushin ?

Kyokushin

Mar 28, 2021
Sol
Hi folks!
I currently have crx10nc3615i142017.8 on my m500. Where can I get a backup for this? Latest on GitHub is .5 dated 2years ago.
And where can I get the 12A FW that many were pleased with..? @Kyokushin ?
Hi, there is nothing more than we have on github. For your engine best we have is 17A firmware.

glenngb

Feb 13, 2023
Norway
Hi, there is nothing more than we have on github. For your engine best we have is 17A firmware.
Thanks! Is stock with 15amp? My display says 490-500wpeak ((about 14 amps?)dp230)
Is the 17A FW ok to run on the stock controller?
My main thing I want is to have some better response on the higher level.. 🤓

kiwitourer

Aug 25, 2021
Wellington, New Zealand
I have purchased 6 Dengfu E10's with M600's over the last 3 years for family and friends. Hard to believe but the first motor back in 2019 with firmware 14.6 is by far the best in terms of power delivery through the levels and battery range (80kms). I have newer bikes with 46.3 and 46.7 and the difference is like night and day. The newer versions have way too much assist on L1 so it is very hard to ride economically and conserve battery. The latest bike received just 3 weeks ago is version 46.3 and again too much assist at level 1 but this version has really low assist/torque even on L5 unless you maintain a really high cadence. Hills I can climb easily on L3 on my first bike (14.6) can not be climbed with the latest one. I am working with my contact at Dengfu to get to the bottom of this as it is so bad I need to find a way to correct it or not worth riding. Just hoping that Bafang will relent and provide a simple way to reprogram these motors.

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
I have purchased 6 Dengfu E10's with M600's over the last 3 years for family and friends. Hard to believe but the first motor back in 2019 with firmware 14.6 is by far the best in terms of power delivery through the levels and battery range (80kms). I have newer bikes with 46.3 and 46.7 and the difference is like night and day. The newer versions have way too much assist on L1 so it is very hard to ride economically and conserve battery. The latest bike received just 3 weeks ago is version 46.3 and again too much assist at level 1 but this version has really low assist/torque even on L5 unless you maintain a really high cadence. Hills I can climb easily on L3 on my first bike (14.6) can not be climbed with the latest one. I am working with my contact at Dengfu to get to the bottom of this as it is so bad I need to

I have the 46.7 on mine and it's true L1 is too powerful. I cut the motor under 5% slope and in fact i constat i consume more or less the same than the M500. +-50% consumed for 1200 m D+. Different riding, but not so bad. I keeping the 46.7

14.6 is available on github, have you tried to download it on the other motors ?

eugene8

Nov 12, 2022
mainland
I have purchased 6 Dengfu E10's with M600's over the last 3 years for family and friends. Hard to believe but the first motor back in 2019 with firmware 14.6 is by far the best in terms of power delivery through the levels and battery range (80kms). I have newer bikes with 46.3 and 46.7 and the difference is like night and day. The newer versions have way too much assist on L1 so it is very hard to ride economically and conserve battery. The latest bike received just 3 weeks ago is version 46.3 and again too much assist at level 1 but this version has really low assist/torque even on L5 unless you maintain a really high cadence. Hills I can climb easily on L3 on my first bike (14.6) can not be climbed with the latest one. I am working with my contact at Dengfu to get to the bottom of this as it is so bad I need to find a way to correct it or not worth riding. Just hoping that Bafang will relent and provide a simple way to reprogram these motors.
In another thread they say you can now change the power output on the newer m600 motors. Firmware version 46.2, 46.3

kiwitourer

Aug 25, 2021
Wellington, New Zealand
I have the 46.7 on mine and it's true L1 is too powerful. I cut the motor under 5% slope and in fact i constat i consume more or less the same than the M500. +-50% consumed for 1200 m D+. Different riding, but not so bad. I keeping the 46.7

14.6 is available on github, have you tried to download it on the other motors ?
I am waiting on delivery of the BESST tool as to date I have wanted to avoid playing around with changing firmware versions. No option now as need to do something.

kiwitourer

Aug 25, 2021
Wellington, New Zealand
How you could compare L5 on 14.6 and 46.7?
L5 power (5/5) on 14.6 is stronger and delivers at lower cadence. It is so strong I never ever use it as easy to lose traction on dry technical climbs. On the road for getting up steep hills at the end of a long ride it is great. 46.7 is still ok on L5 and if I could reduce the ease at which L1 ramps almost immediately to 200w it would be ok. The latest bike with 46.3 needs tuning across the power range in relation to how the watts are activated eg torque and cadence. To get support uphill you need high cadence which is impossible on steep switch backs etc where you need to control cornering. It is not just about setting different watts at each level, it is about what the sensor settings (torque/cadence) that triggers that output and how long that power runs on after you reduce input. We all have different preferences so ease of customisation would be such a winner for this motor.

Kyokushin

Mar 28, 2021
Sol
So the 14.6 is more powerfull on L5 but weaker on L1? Sounds like reasonable firmware.

Could someone also compare the L1 and L5 between 46.7 and 46.9?

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles