Bafang M500/M600 Tuning & The BESST Tool

Tricz

Oct 14, 2022
Poland
Besst tool received with a dealer login so I have tried the modified 46.3 firmware. It is certainy changed from the default 46.3. L1 power is now good with maximum 100w output, ideal for low power use on flat trails to conserve battery. L5 was full power but will need to test on my local hill climb to check how it responds to cadence and torque input. Will be interesting to compare to 14.6 which is my preferred FW so far. I have downloaded 14.6 from Github file library but for some reason it will not load using the update function on Besst. I select it ok but it seems to fail a compatibility test and wont upload to the Besst box. Does anyone have an original Bafang version of 14.6?
You have a newer hardware version of the M600. You won't upload old software versions to it, i.e. 14.6 for example. For the new hardware version there is 46.3 and 46.2 as far as I know. Unless there are some more then someone please correct me.

AlexRus

Mar 30, 2019
Russia
Besst tool received with a dealer login so I have tried the modified 46.3 firmware. It is certainy changed from the default 46.3. L1 power is now good with maximum 100w output, ideal for low power use on flat trails to conserve battery. L5 was full power but will need to test on my local hill climb to check how it responds to cadence and torque input. Will be interesting to compare to 14.6 which is my preferred FW so far. I have downloaded 14.6 from Github file library but for some reason it will not load using the update function on Besst. I select it ok but it seems to fail a compatibility test and wont upload to the Besst box. Does anyone have an original Bafang version of 14.6?
what version of controller do you have?
I could not install this firmware on my.

AlexRus

Mar 30, 2019
Russia
I got a new controller for M600 with version 46.4, but I can't change the settings of the assistant in Besst tool.

kiwitourer

Aug 25, 2021
Wellington, New Zealand
You have a newer hardware version of the M600. You won't upload old software versions to it, i.e. 14.6 for example. For the new hardware version there is 46.3 and 46.2 as far as I know. Unless there are some more then someone please correct me.
From what I can see all 3 of my M600s are the same version with the controller hardware CR X10N.500.FC 3.2. I will connect the latest motor running the modified 46.3 FW using BESST Pro and see if I have access to the motor parameters and report back. Testing so far with this version is promising with lower power and support at L1 (max 100w) which is very natural feeling and full power at L5. Riding the big uphill test on Sunday so will confirm after that.

kiwitourer

Aug 25, 2021
Wellington, New Zealand
what version of controller do you have?
I could not install this firmware on my.
From what I can see using the information access via the display, all 3 of my M600s are the same controller hardware with the description CR X10N.500.FC 3.2 . I will connect the latest motor running the modified 46.3 FW using BESST Pro and see if I have access to the motor parameters and report back. The modified FW provided is definitely different to the stock 46.3 so it was clearly adapted for me by either Bafang or the folks at Dengfu.

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
From what I can see all 3 of my M600s are the same version with the controller hardware CR X10N.500.FC 3.2. I will connect the latest motor running the modified 46.3 FW using BESST Pro and see if I have access to the motor parameters and report back. Testing so far with this version is promising with lower power and support at L1 (max 100w) which is very natural feeling and full power at L5. Riding the big uphill test on Sunday so will confirm after that.
Could you share your 46.3 software rev ? or if somebody have the 46.2 (i have asked to bafang, but no answer). i have recover some 46.3 on netwoork, but it don't download to the controler 500FC3.2.

i have tested 46.7 and 46.9 and i find 1 level to powerfull

kiwitourer

Aug 25, 2021
Wellington, New Zealand
Could you share your 46.3 software rev ? or if somebody have the 46.2 (i have asked to bafang, but no answer). i have recover some 46.3 on netwoork, but it don't download to the controler 500FC3.2.

I have attached the revision earlier in this thread. It is looks like it has set L1 at 15% power and then 35 55 75 100.

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
I have the same controller hardware (FC 3.2) and it uploaded just fine. Strange that we are not experiencing consistent results.
i suspect that it existing several soft with same number, but following your country localisation (and rules), BESST tool block the download. Bafang have provide me 3 x 3.6 revision for the M510, but only one downloaded to my motor.

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
No

You have old M600 controller. You will be able to flash only fw with bootcode 0x89. So you wont be able to flash 46.2 or 46.3.

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
i suspect that it existing several soft with same number, but following your country localisation (and rules), BESST tool block the download. Bafang have provide me 3 x 3.6 revision for the M510, but only one downloaded to my motor.

You can be right. Depends only on technician who is setting and compiling firmware for a dealer. He can put any firmware number. And there is mess then - each version behave differently.

I have some 46.2-yy version and here also power settings are gone.

And again to the M510. There are 3 revisions of FC1.0 and one FC2.0. This is the reason why you couldnt flash all firmwares.
You need to check first byte of bin file. View file and switch to hex view.

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
I have the same controller hardware (FC 3.2) and it uploaded just fine. Strange that we are not experiencing consistent results.

It looks same from the controller label. But new M600 has different bootloader flashed, so is taking only new M600 firmware (bootcode 0x93).

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
Hello guys.

A quick preview. Working on simple firmware flasher, you can flash firmware just by plugging in motor and inserting SD card.

More details here:

K1 Flash Cover.jpg

clix

Jul 24, 2022
EU
Hey guys, what do I need to program the bafang motor(m820)? Whole Can besst tool or only the programing cable, which basicly looks like some kind of USB to UART interface?
What am I missing if I go only with the programing cable? Apart from 25/32/45kmh limit, what other options are there? Anything crucial?
I understand, that for besst tool I would need "dealer access password" or python script to bayass login.

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
Hey guys, what do I need to program the bafang motor(m820)? Whole Can besst tool or only the programing cable, which basicly looks like some kind of USB to UART interface?
What am I missing if I go only with the programing cable? Apart from 25/32/45kmh limit, what other options are there? Anything crucial?
I understand, that for besst tool I would need "dealer access password" or python script to bayass login.

You wont do much with an usb to can cable. You can send a speed limit packet.

Apart of Besst we all waiting for a BT Bafang app, to be able to set controller parameters. I would say is around the corner...

Question is if M820 supports anything else beside speed, circumference and wheel size.
Check this :

clix

Jul 24, 2022
EU
Tnx for the info.
Question regarding this device that you developed: For this "auto set low speed" device is living in the bike, right? But for other settings, you can use your device on different motors, many times, right? But, are these settings user programmable, or are they flashed to a device only once, at the time of purchasing the device, based on the spreadsheet data?
Tnx

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
Tnx for the info.
Question regarding this device that you developed: For this "auto set low speed" device is living in the bike, right? But for other settings, you can use your device on different motors, many times, right? But, are these settings user programmable, or are they flashed to a device only once, at the time of purchasing the device, based on the spreadsheet data?
Tnx

Yep, for ASLS you need to have BB3 still connected.

Other settings you activate, and then u can unplug device.

That is right, you can change the BB3 setup anytime. By connecting to android or pc, and send the commands to BB3. ("sl30" means speed low set to 30 kmh, "circ2200" - set circumference to 2200mm)

kiwitourer

Aug 25, 2021
Wellington, New Zealand
How is the ramp up at Pas 1 & 2? Strong?
Hi. L1 support is set low at 100w max and the ramp up is mild. When you start on the flat in L1 you no longer get the quick support and "too much power" feeling that exists in the original 46.3. L2 at 35% max feels closer to the old L1 power with a bit more torque. For technical trails uphill the ramp up and ramp down on L2 is manageable. I have tested L4/5 on long steep uphill trails and the support is now very strong and you don't need to maintain high cadence to access that support. This modified version has addressed all the issues I raised with the original 43.6 with L1 thru 5 each having a clear role while riding. This is much closer the 14.6 FW, which I can't install on my latest bike due to boot loader incompatibility, but I can ride happily with this modified FW.

temon10

Feb 8, 2022
Malang, Indonesia
Hi. L1 support is set low at 100w max and the ramp up is mild. When you start on the flat in L1 you no longer get the quick support and "too much power" feeling that exists in the original 46.3. L2 at 35% max feels closer to the old L1 power with a bit more torque. For technical trails uphill the ramp up and ramp down on L2 is manageable. I have tested L4/5 on long steep uphill trails and the support is now very strong and you don't need to maintain high cadence to access that support. This modified version has addressed all the issues I raised with the original 43.6 with L1 thru 5 each having a clear role while riding. This is much closer the 14.6 FW, which I can't install on my latest bike due to boot loader incompatibility, but I can ride happily with this modified FW.
btw with your connection to Bafang account manager at Dengfu U can request all Bafang M series modified firmware?

dvng

May 21, 2021
Malaysia
ohh..meaning this fw is only compatible with the new bootloader.

kiwitourer

Aug 25, 2021
Wellington, New Zealand
It looks same from the controller label. But new M600 has different bootloader flashed, so is taking only new M600 firmware (bootcode 0x93).
Thanks for the explanation of why firm wares are not 100% compatible across all motors despite the controller hardware having the same designation. I have checked this using a Hex file reader and can see exactly what you describe.

Question: can you edit a BIN (Hex) file and change the first byte to the value expected by your motor and 'trick' the bootloader to upload the file? If so, if the motor and controllers are the same hardware it would seem that any of the settings embedded in the BIN file should not cause any problems albeit nobody wants to risk 'bricking' their motor. Having the the ability to edit the native hex file and compile a new BIN file would seem like an opportunity to customise the firmware for a suitably qualified software engineer. My brother is a programmer so I will pick his brains on this.

Of course Bafang providing an App with a range of user defined parameters would be the ideal but I suspect this would require us to upgrade Controllers to the version they release to support this as they have with the new M510 motor/controller. They have developed a new M610 for FTX so I suspect this will be widely released at some point but this is not going to help all of us with older motor/controllers.

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
Thanks for the explanation of why firm wares are not 100% compatible across all motors despite the controller hardware having the same designation. I have checked this using a Hex file reader and can see exactly what you describe.

Question: can you edit a BIN (Hex) file and change the first byte to the value expected by your motor and 'trick' the bootloader to upload the file? If so, if the motor and controllers are the same hardware it would seem that any of the settings embedded in the BIN file should not cause any problems albeit nobody wants to risk 'bricking' their motor. Having the the ability to edit the native hex file and compile a new BIN file would seem like an opportunity to customise the firmware for a suitably qualified software engineer. My brother is a programmer so I will pick his brains on this.

Of course Bafang providing an App with a range of user defined parameters would be the ideal but I suspect this would require us to upgrade Controllers to the version they release to support this as they have with the new M510 motor/controller. They have developed a new M610 for FTX so I suspect this will be widely released at some point but this is not going to help all of us with older motor/controllers.

Try to ask you brother, what he thinks about changing bytes of compiled bin file. ;)))
Many firmwares wont even flash or start to run as there are checksums or hashes- but not the case with bafang.

And yes, somebody here did this trick, to edit boot code and flash and it worked. Just I wouldnt do it, there can be minor changes in controller hardware, for example different sensors (different values then coming to microcontroller) and your hacked firmwate wont be behaving as intended.

You usually wont brick the bootloader.
Have failed send whole bin file correctly many times when I was coding my flashing device (then you wont turn on motor). Still was able to re-flash though.

Managed to damage only one controller so far, but I have put somehow 100V to the control pin. ;)

Last edited:

dvng

May 21, 2021
Malaysia
But you can use 14.6 with an old controller. This 14.6 is reported being even better
I tried 14.6 before, weak PAS 1 to PAS 3, although the ramp up was linear. Im using 20.8 and the ramp up at Pas1&2 is still a bit frisky. PAS 2 is a tad too strong

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles