Other 2022 Kenevo SL Rumours ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
WARNING : this thread cannot be embargoed as it's a work of fiction ..

It's about the time of year we normally have a Kenevo based thread where we all excitedly guess about what's due ..

Ideally, it's not taken too seriously and much bollox is spoken........ and many incorrect guesses are made based on prior history.

We've all been through the excitement of the EP8 release, codename "Rattle Snake".

It's unlikely we'll get to go through the excitement of the Thok TK01 release with it's oh so lovely suspension due to potential issues with Rattle Snakes (it's not a lightweight .. I just want one - because ! )

The most likely candidate for a lightweight enduro, the Forestal Siryon isn't in customers hands yet, not only that but Cedric hasn't sent me one to crash test which is very disappointing. o_O :ROFLMAO:

So it looks like we're relying on Spesh ! We have the Turbo Creo SL, we have the Turbo Vado SL, we have the Levo SL ....

There's a gaping hole for the Kenevo SL to fill.

So what spec do you think/already know it will be ? Will there be a frame only ? Do we think the S-Works will cost €12,000 ? Will there be a Flounders - Belgian only edition for €18,000 ?

partiu

Sep 6, 2020
Garopaba, SC, Brazil
There's lots of these in the wild if you know where to look. Looks exactly like the new enduro with the sl motor. The guys riding them love them. But sadly they say it won't be released till next summer. So that means I won't be able to afford one until 2023 or so.
Could you share where I can find more about it?

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
There's lots of these in the wild if you know where to look. Looks exactly like the new enduro with the sl motor. The guys riding them love them. But sadly they say it won't be released till next summer. So that means I won't be able to afford one until 2023 or so.

?

So where exactly is the motor placed? There seems to be a shock absorber in the way.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Well given that Santa Cruz pulled off a similar arrangement with the Heckler, which has a bigger motor than the SL unit, I can see it being viable.

Then again it wouldnt be a bike I see much point in, with an SL motor

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Well given that Santa Cruz pulled off a similar arrangement with the Heckler, which has a bigger motor than the SL unit, I can see it being viable.

Why do you say that?
I think it would be the perfect bike. The SL has more than enough power, even if you have mediocre fitness as I do. It just lacks proper enduro suspension and Geo.
The Kenevo/Enduro SL would solve that issue.

Nasty Nick

Dec 4, 2018
Ventura, CA US
I don't have anymore info. I just saw them in Santa Cruz and the guys on them were nice enough to chat for a few seconds about it. Heard of some other with them in Socal.

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
It will have a quadraphonic phase induction unit with ceramic double electromagnetic two wheel drive, as well as the mandatory 6000Nm of torque and a top speed of 25kph.

mtbrdan

Aug 5, 2020
Scotts Valley,CA
Something like this?

IMG_4066.jpg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
It will have a quadraphonic phase induction unit with ceramic double electromagnetic two wheel drive, as well as the mandatory 6000Nm of torque and a top speed of 25kph.
You should know, is there any truth in the rumour it will have an oval front wheel ? Takes a 27.5 tyre, but offers a varying size of 26" to 29” to keep everyone happy ?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Why do you say that?
I think it would be the perfect bike. The SL has more than enough power, even if you have mediocre fitness as I do. It just lacks proper enduro suspension and Geo.
The Kenevo/Enduro SL would solve that issue.
Because I think you get a better bike if it’s designed from the ground up to be an EMTB rather than adapting an existing design.

I don’t disagree it would be great to have an Enduro SL type bike, but not convinced that just stick a motor in an Enduro is the way forward.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
How would you design an ebike from ground up?
How would it differentiate to the current crop of ebikes?
Where else could you put a motor and battery?

I actually feel like the SL is as close to a normal
Mtb as you can get. All my mtb mates have freaked out how similar in feel to their bikes it is.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU

Yes & yes. If it had an EXT Storia in a shock tunnel & a Mahle S motor ☝??

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Because I think you get a better bike if it’s designed from the ground up to be an EMTB rather than adapting an existing design.

I don’t disagree it would be great to have an Enduro SL type bike, but not convinced that just stick a motor in an Enduro is the way forward.
Couldn’t disagree more. If you already have a really good handling bike with good geometry, the best thing would be to figure out how to shove a motor and a battery in that frame.
That’s why the first Levo was such a game changer. They took the already successful Stumpjumper and shoe horned in the motor and battery.
Here is a perfect example of the opposite approach. Giant!
So Giant had a pretty successful trail bike with the Trance.
A872C135-FBE6-4A44-98EA-B776E680DD70.jpeg

I sold a bunch of these for many years. It didn’t move the needle for a lot of buyers like Specialized did, but it was always good value for the money and a solid number two brand in my shop.
The Emtb trend was starting to get mainstream around 2015 and Giant who had manufactured Ebikes for well over 20 years made their first effort with this humpback Trance ebike
5F463782-CE77-42CB-987F-064AA63BB151.jpeg
I
To be fair this bike never came to the US market and I never have seen one in person. But they took the Trance and shoved a motor and battery in it while maintaining what made the Trance such a solid trail bike, the only problem was that this thing from Specialized came out six months later
1839B42D-EBBE-41C2-93DC-296E3E6B64F0.jpeg

say what you will about Specialized, but when this bike showed up, the big brands knew the public wasn’t going to be as in into external battery bikes anymore. Truth be told, external battery bikes are lighter, more convenient to change batteries and easier to carry a spare battery. I really like them but they are ugly.
So Giant went back to the drawing board and came up with this.
7BEFC8D9-6E7D-48EE-936E-88246B691DBD.jpeg

Now the 2017 Full-E, is a bike I absolutely hate to this day.
There will be a few of you on the forum that own one of these and this not a personal attack on you. If you get offended by the following paragraphs, I am truly sorry.
That out of the way
It was a bike that handled like shit, it looked like shit, it had the weight of a collapsed star and was super loud. The software was terrible and unreliable, it was set up with a double crankset and a front derailleur. At a time when everyone and their uncle was switching to a 1by, Giant is going for a front derailleur revival. The real reason was the Full-E needed a front derailleur to give it low enough gears to actually make it to the top of a climb and a big ring to prevent the rider from running out if gear on the flats. If you were at a high cadence, anything over 80rpm the support from the motor would completely drop off, which was great on climbs. They literally designed the bike around this Yamaha motor and battery and it was such weak seller it took 2 years to sell the only 4 bikes we brought in. People would demo the Giant Full-E and the Turbo Levo back to back and not a single customer ever chose the Giant. It actually ended our partnership with Giant. It was a shame since we were a Giant dealer from the beginning.
We sold well over 100 Levos and 4 full-es in the same 2 year period. The Levo at this point had eclipsed Haibike as the number 1 Emtb in the world in sales.
How do you make a successful Emtb at this point? You copy the formula Specialized had already figured out.
So Giant comes up with this
7567F6B1-12B4-4597-B27F-38EB9606DBEF.jpeg

they took their already capable Trance trail bike and figured out how to fit all of the electronics in the frame while keeping what made the Trance a good bike in the first place. It was even called a Trance. This bike stacks up quite well with the Levo and it would have been more of a contender in my shop. I know I would have sold a shit ton more than 4 of these.

A7F0827A-7966-47AA-A47C-952EF960B82F.png

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Just to be clear I am talking about the detail of design, i.e when the new Kenevo came out, a lot of people where expecting it to look like the new enduro but with a motor and battery, but IIRC Specialized couldn’t get the motor and shock to work optimally by trying to copy that layout, hence why the new Kenevo is as it is, which I believe has some similar kinematics to the Enduro but with a different shock placement.

So my point is if they can make an Enduro SL that rides like and Enduro but with the assistance go for it, but if you end up making a bike that looks like an Enduro but has a lot of compromises handling wise to do so, dont!

that’s why I like the idea of a Levo SL evo, as I can see that they could make that pretty easily, but with the Enduro the packaging is a lot more difficult to work with.

Grizzy

Mar 10, 2020
TX
interested to see how this works out. My levo SL is leaning that way already w/ a 170 fork and coil shock on the way.

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
Just to be clear I am talking about the detail of design, i.e when the new Kenevo came out, a lot of people where expecting it to look like the new enduro but with a motor and battery, but IIRC Specialized couldn’t get the motor and shock to work optimally by trying to copy that layout, hence why the new Kenevo is as it is, which I believe has some similar kinematics to the Enduro but with a different shock placement.

So my point is if they can make an Enduro SL that rides like and Enduro but with the assistance go for it, but if you end up making a bike that looks like an Enduro but has a lot of compromises handling wise to do so, dont!

that’s why I like the idea of a Levo SL evo, as I can see that they could make that pretty easily, but with the Enduro the packaging is a lot more difficult to work with.

I think that the evo geo is a correct step for a more aggressive out of the box SL. But the enduro has a fantastic linearly progressive rate plus decent anti squat for pedaling coupled with 170mm travel , which is what most rave about. That requires the lower suspension layout of the enduro. Even the new Kenevo which is “close” is still pretty far from the enduro kinematics.

E7845382-B325-4DFB-BC73-DCE9B98A8CC9.png

aftrunx

Nov 26, 2020
Switzerland
i was looking for a Kenevo Expert.. After 2 Weeks my Dealer came back to me...
Production of Kenevo 2020 is stopped. All open Backlog Orders will be delivered until June 2021 (still 2020 Model)
For 2021 the Kenevo will get a general overhaul.
- Lighter, the actual is quite heavy
- smaller Battery (if you buy a Kenevo, you need anyway only Shuttle Mode)
- Mullet Setup (29 Front & 27.5 Rear, same as Demo.

I'm delighted to see what and when it's comming..
A Demo with small Engine like the SL is just a Dream for my Jump/Drop/ Send IT purpose...

Let's see whats comming...

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
i was looking for a Kenevo Expert.. After 2 Weeks my Dealer came back to me...
Production of Kenevo 2020 is stopped. All open Backlog Orders will be delivered until June 2021 (still 2020 Model)
For 2021 the Kenevo will get a general overhaul.
- Lighter, the actual is quite heavy
- smaller Battery (if you buy a Kenevo, you need anyway only Shuttle Mode)
- Mullet Setup (29 Front & 27.5 Rear, same as Demo.

I'm delighted to see what and when it's comming..
A Demo with small Engine like the SL is just a Dream for my Jump/Drop/ Send IT purpose...

Let's see whats comming...
I think your dealer is talking nonsense but I might be wrong ! Can’t do many shuttles with a smaller battery . For example at bikeparkwales you’ll get 4/5 max runs in shuttle mode with a 500w battery

Eduardoramundo

Aug 8, 2019
Glasgow
I think your dealer is talking nonsense but I might be wrong ! Can’t do many shuttles with a smaller battery . For example at bikeparkwales you’ll get 4/5 max runs in shuttle mode with a 500w battery

Would a higher voltage system be more efficient?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles