Other Walk the Talk .. 7.3.6 Walk mode issues and rumours ....

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
A subject close to the hearts of anyone who's had the 7.3.6 upgrade who ever has to use walk mode ...

Well, a friend of a friend who's cat knows some other cat who got chased by a dog who's owner works for someone in the know ..... rumoured that the walk mode issue came from Brose making modifications to comply with legislation. Apparently ?!?.... there is work in progress to address this and improve it, so all might not be lost forever ...

That cat is normally a pretty reliable source ..

Count down from 10 for thread to be deleted ...

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
?

Its funny, I bumped into a friend who also has a cat who knows another cat through other cat friends, that cat was hungry and was chasing a rabbit around; the rabbits owners neighbour knows someone who works for someone who is in the know or so the rumour goes. The rumour that I heard through this extremely convoluted exchange (which also coincidentally occurred using semaphore) was the same as the one you heard Zimmer ?

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
I never use walk mode, so I don't care.
Will I upgrade...no, waiting for the next version anyway.

Then the walk mode will be fixed and new bugs introduced :)

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
I never use walk mode, so I don't care.

You should challenge yourself more. ?

I regularly ride trails both directions. I haven't found a DH yet that I can't ride the other way. This probably says more about my trail access and less about my riding ability. But I've had the motor cut off more than once on a super steep section so it was nice to have walk mode to get me out.

I've also got a fair number of trails with hike-a-bike sections. Or even something as simple as going around/over a fallen tree, walk mode can be really helpful.

One thing you may not understand, since you never use the feature, is it's seriously flawed after the update. It's not just about a loss of power. The power goes up and down unpredictably. Sometimes it turns on, sometimes it does nothing. So it's not about being a girly-man who can't ride, it's about a feature that's totally broken.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
I'm trying to work out the mechanics of the walk-mode Darwin Award that the European Commission are saving us all from.

Stuck button hurtling towards a thousand foot precipice at 6 km/h ? I'm sure I'll think of some others.

FlowDough

Nov 11, 2018
North America
I regularly ride trails both directions. I haven't found a DH yet that I can't ride the other way.
I hope they aren't popular downhill trails. Riding up established downhill trails on an e bike is a very effective way to cause accidents and give e bikers a horrible reputation. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
My 2019 Levo is going in for a check tomorrow and I asked for the update when I booked, but I think I'm going to pass until they sort the walk assist.

I've not had any problems with the bike or motor to date and I use the walk mode to get up some wooden steps on a regular route.

I'd rather leave things as they are with the knowledge of the 4 year warranty if things go pear shaped than be without the decent walk mode.

Reactions: EME

EME

MUPPET
Subscriber
Aug 14, 2020
Zug
I'm trying to work out the mechanics of the walk-mode Darwin Award that the European Commission are saving us all from.

Stuck button hurtling towards a thousand foot precipice at 6 km/h ? I'm sure I'll think of some others.

Or Simon Cowell ? -- that court case would cost a lot
Or crossing a busy dual carriageway ? -- oops you're dead
Or granny in the front garden? -- oops Grannny snuffed it
Or kids playing with Dads bike? -- all the above snuffed it

and who said it was the EC ( who? the legislative arm of the EU is rarely the first to get involved imho/ime ) anyway?

I really don't know what may or may not be behind it of course and frankly its not a big deal ( to me).

Some may like Walk Assist .. but is it REALLY that important to why you spent so much on a bike ? Was it really a Deal breaker ?

Last edited:

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
Where's the strawman emoji when you need one?

I hope they aren't popular downhill trails. Riding up established downhill trails on an e bike is a very effective way to cause accidents and give e bikers a horrible reputation. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Just because you have 1-way trails doesn't mean everyone else does. :) All of the stuff I have access to is two-way, multi-use (hiker, biker, horseback). I already have to be cautious going either direction. On the flip side most of the time when I ride in gnarlier places I never see another soul except the wildlife. That's something I take for granted, I should appreciate it more!

Some may like Walk Assist .. but is it REALLY that important to why you spent so much on a bike ? Was it really a Deal breaker ?

I'm not selling my Levo because Walk Assist doesn't work. You're looking at this the wrong way...

First, imagine you use Walk Assist. The first step is admitting you have a problem...

Imagine you're on a ride, you're on a super steep climb, you just lost traction and had to get off in the middle of it. It's too steep to restart. It's a super hot day, and it will really suck to have to push a 50lb ebike up that climb. It will suck even more to have to ride back down and try it again. But that's ok, you have Walk Assist, you've done this before, it's no big deal! So you press the button and...nothing happens. Or you press the button and...you get a motor error and have to reboot. Or you press the button and...after a few seconds...the bike takes off out of your hands and you drop it. Which if the 3 might happen? No one knows! (well maybe Specialized does...)

It's the uncertainty, the unreliability that sucks. If they just made it weaker, but consistent, that would be "ok". But that's not what happened.

EME

MUPPET
Subscriber
Aug 14, 2020
Zug
@Bigtuna00 Imagining stuff I cant do is fun .. but not real :oops: for me. Im not that good. You all will be a lot more able than I

I have however pushed uphill without Walk Assist .. so maybe don't push the button ? Is it really the end of the world?

I'll post tomorrow a newbie old fart's view of the World if I find the time . Suffice to say at the moment this place is very harsh on Specialized and LBS in general (imho and Im a rank beginner)

PS .. when you find the 'strawman' emoji can you send me my personal get-out-of-gaol/jail' card. I will need it !

EME

MUPPET
Subscriber
Aug 14, 2020
Zug
Have you ever in your entire life had a feature that used to work stop working? Did you enjoy that experience? :)

(Please note, I'm just "taking the piss", as I suspect you are as well)

(and just in case it doesn't translate)
LOL and lots of Respect. !

Having spent a lot of my life in the USA ( I even married one of its citizens ! ... none so dumb etc) , Im actually familiar with most US sales vernacular and I've even been known to hit the ground running after stepping up to the plate. Slowly of course.

Now that's is taking the proverbial (piss) (insert big smiley/wink).

Nearly everything electronic Ive ever bought will have let me down at some time ... but many had features I wasn't even interested in really! So they get forgiven.

PS .. Ex-wives are NOT electronics. ( Insert wink/grin)

losgatosgtr

Feb 7, 2020
Los Gatos, California
Walk mode is a useful feature. Many downed trees and boulders on the trails that I ride and as such the walk mode should work as advertised and be reliable. Dumbing down of walk mode should be optional in the mission control app...not mandatory.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles