Loss of power in Walk Mode, then no assist...

Troutwrestler

Dec 25, 2018
Scotland
Yesterday I went out for a ride. On 2 occasions I used walk mode to climb a steep, loose piece of trail.

On both occasions, the walk mode worked for a few meters, but then totally stopped assisting. I made it up onto rideable trail, and could cycle through assist modes using the remote, accompanied by the beep, but when pedalling got no assist.

I got out my phone and looked at the App, which gave no unexpected info. The motor was cool - I can't remember exactly, but sub 30 DegC. The battery was showing as connected, 50% charge or so. The beeping confirmed this, but still no drive.

Both times what sorted it (I think) was momentarily disconnecting the battery. Full service was resumed.

I am thinking this is probably a fault with the torque sensor related to engaging/disengaging the walk assist.

Has anyone any experience of this?

Koo

Nov 11, 2018
Finland
I think there is some kind of safety feature in the walk mode. It disengages the mode when something hits pedals or something like that.

-Koo

Ps. Re-read your post, no I havent had that kind of issue where it just ”hangs” and would not assist

Troutwrestler

Dec 25, 2018
Scotland
Thanks. I removed the non-drive side crank and motor cover today and checked the connectors for the remote, speed sensor and battery. All seemed fine, and there was very little muck in the cavity. All seemed fine on a ride today.

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire
Mine has done that when mud/grit prevents good connection at the charging port. I think you only need a small piece of grit in there to cause intermittent connection.

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
There are loads of threads about problems with the walk mode. Mine did not work at all until I replaced the handlebar switch and connector. It still does not work all the time and the walk mode on my wife’s bike stopped working on our last ride. I have learned from experience and threads that sometimes one has to push the bike to get the magnet to pass the sensor. Also, it seems that the walk mode starts slowly and then accelerates. Inevitably, the ground is steep and tricky (which is why you want to use walk mode) and it can be difficult to keep up with the bike and so one’s finger or thumb loses pressure on the switch and one has to start all over again. It seems to work fine on my Bosch powered bike so I don’t know why Specialized/Brose can’t sort this.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles