Levo Gen 3 Walk assist turbo levo gen 3

J0hannesp

Jul 1, 2022
Norway
Hello. Anyone have insanely slow walk assist on the levo? I tested it inside, and it uses 14-15 sec to go 3m. This results in a speed of roughly 0,7-0,8 km/h. What could be the problem? I also get "snaps", or bursts, of more power sometimes, as you can see at the end of the video.
I tried taking the chain of, and the crank is moving alot faster when the chain is not on, but eventually shuts down because it cant read the speed sensor. My bike shop has aksed me to send the bike to them for testing, as I dont have any specialized dealers close to where I live. Im not sure what more they would test and conclude from it, so im abit reluctant sending it away for possible months. But the uneven power it delivers seems really weird to me and not intended at all. Is the walk assist intended to be this useless?
This happens regardless of what gear im in or what mode on the motor im using.

Outside test:
New video by Johannes Pedersen

Speedtest: 3m done in 14-15sec. Calculates to 0,7-0,8km/h

Test without chain: Cranks move alot faster. After abit it results in error on the speed sensor, since it cant register speed without the chain connected.

While lifting the back wheel: Slow, and uneven power.

Cb750stu

Subscriber
Nov 6, 2020
United Kingdom
I've found on the rare occasion I've actually used it you have to give the button a really good hard push to make it work smoothly which is quite painful on the thumb 🥵

Twindaddy

Nov 29, 2022
Chino Hills
Ive had to use it several times recently sessioning some steep, janky sections and rather unimpressed by the feature. It seems inconsistent. Sometimes it feels like Im doing all the pushing without any assist at all. Wasnt sure if this was par for the course with other ebikes and I dont use it enough to put much thought into it. Perhaps Ill ask the shop to take a look if I bring it in for something.

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Don't know if you have one fitted, but a derestriction device will screw with the walk mode.

Redders473

Jul 30, 2020
Leeds
I found that once you press and hold it don't start walking until the bikes moving, once it gets going it's not to bad it's nothing like an average walking pace though

ionut.holbia

Dec 31, 2020
Lausanne
I've found on the rare occasion I've actually used it you have to give the button a really good hard push to make it work smoothly which is quite painful on the thumb

Have the same issue. Will try this approach. Tried shifting gears but it didn’t help much.

Prior to the Gen 3 Levo I had an Orbea Wild with the Bosch motor. The walk assist was much better.

Still not sure which motor I like best, the Bosch was a bit more sporty and powerful but the I can better control the Brose on technical climbs.

ecotrials

Sep 9, 2019
Lafayette, CA, USA
I find that the 2021 Levo is actually a bit to fast where I use it the most. I have found that once you push the button you have to walk the bike around two full wheel rotations before the motor kicks in. The hill I am trying to climb is 27 degrees with loose, rooty and rutty, so it doesn't take much to be unsuccessful. Once the motor kicks in (and I am already in the lowest possible gear) the wheel actually spins a bit as I cannot walk uphill as fast as it wants to. At one time I thought it might have to do with the assist level, but I am not sure if that is the case.
So I think you need some help in diagnosing your issue. What does your shop or Specialized have to say?

torabora851

Apr 13, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Interestingly, on a Trek rail, I had this issue: it pushes intermittently on the big cog. To make it push almost constantly I had to switch to the smallest cog. The old Shimano e8000 pushes constantly but the speed depends on the rear cog.

On my Turbo Levo walk assist works exactly as expected:

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles