Review 2021 Orbea (vs Decathlon Stilus) Wild FS H20

Pigin

Jul 7, 2020
Saddleworth
The Bike:
C9F8F0AB-D1DC-4366-8B29-15EDC3B8165C.jpeg

Manufacturer: Orbea (vs Decathlon Stilus)
Model: Wild FS H20
Model Year: 2021
Price Paid: £5309 delivered
New/Used: Brand New
Score (out of 10): 9

Review: Orbea Wild FS H20 vs Decathlon Stilus

This review is written by someone with little ebb experience but a reasonable amount of general mtb and road.

July 2020 saw me getting my Decathlon Stilus and so the Orbea will be compared to that. The Stilus is a great bike but I believe I needed something “better”. Although I don’t do big jumps I am not adverse to going for it on rocky stuff. The Stilus wasn’t giving me a plush enough ride and I was made an offer I couldn’t refuse.

Build Quality: In general it’s good, the fit and finish is excellent but with a few areas for improvement. The paint work is really good and I could only find the smallest blemish. That could easily been down to the mechanic catching the key for the battery lock. There are no rattles (yet). The DT Swiss wheels come ready taped with proper tape (32mm tape is what’s required) and there is a set of decent valves that comes with the bits and pieces. This quality build makes locating the battery and cover a little tricky.

Design: It’s a stand out bike with the two stiffening braces near the motor. There is some cable routing around the inside of it and they are cable tied in place. One of them had a sharp edge giving me a little boo boo so that was quickly remedied. Yes I’m that fussy.

When first sitting on the bike the front wheels looks huge and way out front, it’s my first 29er. I have nothing to compare this to but so far definitely prefer it to the 27.5 for the stuff I do. Rolls better, better attack when hitting rocks etc and feels right on an XL.

The battery key hole is well set back and there is plenty of detailed drainage holes to deal with any water ingress. These will need keeping an eye on as they are small. As mentioned there is not much room in the battery compartment and adding a lighting cable in there means it needs to be well tucked up. The plastic shield in there is a great idea.

The battery cover is a real tight fit, good for weather protection but a pain when taking the battery out to charge. I don’t charge the battery in the bike and therefore the awkward charging port cover won’t be an issue for me but could be for you.

The Motor guard is ABS plastic and will no doubt need replacing at some point but at least it will absorb any strike rather than transmitting the shock around the bike.

Components: Bosch motor, been done to death elsewhere and is the same as the Stilus. Love it.

Fox 38 is a big improvement. Stiff, plush, poppy, easily tuned and quick to set up using the recommended settings. BUT! Annoyingly there’s no wipe ring or markings to see the sag settings. Don’t be put off that this is the entry level 38, it’s a big improvement and suits the 29er very well. Being able to seriously stiffen the compression it on the move is brilliant for when you are on the road or fire track. Unlike the Rockshoxs RL Gold which has less range of adjustment on the move.

Fox DPS. This follows the exact same comments. I am able the alter the compression on the move. I slow, drop the seat and thank my yoga stretches. It’s a shame it’s mounted upside down, it makes things just a little awkward. Although there is a wipe ring there’s no markings so it a another ruler job. A ruler!

The dropper post has loads of travel. At 6ft I would be happy with a little less but I just don’t extend it all the way. When it’s pushed down into the frame there’s nowhere for the excess cable to go. Pulling it through at the headstock/lever end makes the excess really noticeable. It will be trimmed.

The saddle is okay but there’s better. There’s no middle channel to stop those pins and needles and so Ergon will be getting an order.

Brakes: They are good 4 pot stoppers. I’m not a stoppy sort but I reckon you could if you wanted to. I prefer the Guide RE levers.

Shifter: I am yet to be convinced that it’s good enough. It just feels a little more vague and flimsy but being Shimano I’m sure it will be fine. A step down perhaps.

Chainset: It feels fine but I would prefer a greater higher gear for those downhill road pedal outs. The crank arms are noticeably shorter.

Rear axle: What’s that all about! I need a easy quick release for when it’s getting transported.

How does it fit/ride: I am 6ft with 33 inside leg and 92kg. That means I’m longer in the back and shorter in the leg than the average. The bike is XL. The size charts show me in that crossover area between L&XL. I prefer a bigger rather than smaller bike and the Stilus in XL was as small is I would be comfortable with. The Orbea feels bigger and will need a little getting used to. I think I’m very much on the threshold and think the size charts are a very good guide. The stand over height is manageable. There’s plenty of room on the bike, it’s stable, it feels alive in comparison. The front is easier to lift when you need to but stays planted on those climbs which tells me that it is receptive to rider movement. It’s more quickstep than waltz, it’s more grand tourer rather than city car and it is definitely a nicer and better ride. I now know why Rob and others wanted to swap out the forks on the Stilus and make it a mullet. When I did the sums I was better off getting the new bike with the different spec rather than upgrading the Stilus.

Things that jar: The Kiox holder, the rear axle, the battery cover, an upside down rear shock, no markings on the f&r suspension, a 2ah charger.

Things I like: The general ride, the build quality, the suspension, the bigger battery, the 29er, it’s a bit different, it comes with Kiox, it comes with a separate set of tubeless valves, easy(ish) to set up,

EDIT. I found the wiper ring on the front fork, it was well hidden tucked right at the top of the stanchion. ??‍♂️

So this is the better of the two bikes imho. It sounds like I am knocking the Stilus, I’m not, it’s a great bike but I prefer the Wild and was lucky enough to be able to get it.

Last edited:

Pigin

Jul 7, 2020
Saddleworth
So I have now completed a few hundred miles on the bike and can add to the above.

I am starting to experience the sticking OC2 seat post that others have commented on. It sticks in the fully up position. I was hoping that I would be okay with it as I have made sure that there are no twists or kinks in the cable having lowered the post to its lowest position in the frame but no, its still an issue.

I have taken two volume spacers out of the Fox 38. It was nice before but now I am super impressed. The pressure needs to be upped a little to set the correct plush sag but it makes a a real difference. I dont do jumps as such so it might not be for you. There is the usual moans and cracks around the brace but I can live with that.

A major difference that Im seeing is from the use of firming the compression on both suspensions when using roads to get to and from the trails. Combined with the 29 wheels the plus 25% battery (625 compared to 500) seems to give a lot more range. This is not scientific as different tyre types and pressures, prevailing conditions and imprecise measure measurements all have an effect. The downside is that sometimes forget that I have set them too firm but I soon remember when the lumpy stuff starts.

I dabble with Strava with my boys and find that everything that I do is faster than before. I wouldn't say my fitness level has changed this, its the bike.

Getting the battery in an out takes practice but I have found that having the battery cover mounted with the bottom fixings in place and resting the top on the front wheel helps when putting it in. If its easy to go in then it will be easy to get out and visa versa.

I am getting use to the shifters and they are up to use but definitely not the best. I wasn't getting many pedal strikes previously but they are ever fewer now.

The brakes are surprisingly adequate. Damned with faint praise I know but they have done everything I have wanted from them, they just needed me to get used to them. There is enough feel in the levers and enough stopping power to lock either wheel at any point.

I still loathe the Kiox holder. Flimsy and cannot be set at any angle that makes it look anywhere near right, it jars in every position I have tried. Yes small potatoes I know.

Those cross braces down near the motor are fantastic when lifting the bike.

I believe that I am now at the point of diminishing returns. Yes I could spend more upgrading this and that but would I really notice differences that I would appreciate everyday on every ride? I'm not sure. I think that this bike is a good all rounder with good enough spec to keep most people entertained unless you need to be the most blingtastic, the lightest, the quickest, the most expensive or indeed the most cutting edge. It's none of those things and still I smile when Im on it as I would with most other bikes I'm sure.

Eebs are like cameras. People ask "Whats the best camera in the world?" The answer is always the one you have got with you!

StevoKickstart

Nov 12, 2018
West Sussex, England
So I have now completed a few hundred miles on the bike and can add to the above.

I am starting to experience the sticking OC2 seat post that others have commented on. It sticks in the fully up position. I was hoping that I would be okay with it as I have made sure that there are no twists or kinks in the cable having lowered the post to its lowest position in the frame but no, its still an issue.

I have taken two volume spacers out of the Fox 38. It was nice before but now I am super impressed. The pressure needs to be upped a little to set the correct plush sag but it makes a a real difference. I dont do jumps as such so it might not be for you. There is the usual moans and cracks around the brace but I can live with that.

A major difference that Im seeing is from the use of firming the compression on both suspensions when using roads to get to and from the trails. Combined with the 29 wheels the plus 25% battery (625 compared to 500) seems to give a lot more range. This is not scientific as different tyre types and pressures, prevailing conditions and imprecise measure measurements all have an effect. The downside is that sometimes forget that I have set them too firm but I soon remember when the lumpy stuff starts.

I dabble with Strava with my boys and find that everything that I do is faster than before. I wouldn't say my fitness level has changed this, its the bike.

Getting the battery in an out takes practice but I have found that having the battery cover mounted with the bottom fixings in place and resting the top on the front wheel helps when putting it in. If its easy to go in then it will be easy to get out and visa versa.

I am getting use to the shifters and they are up to use but definitely not the best. I wasn't getting many pedal strikes previously but they are ever fewer now.

The brakes are surprisingly adequate. Damned with faint praise I know but they have done everything I have wanted from them, they just needed me to get used to them. There is enough feel in the levers and enough stopping power to lock either wheel at any point.

I still loathe the Kiox holder. Flimsy and cannot be set at any angle that makes it look anywhere near right, it jars in every position I have tried. Yes small potatoes I know.

Those cross braces down near the motor are fantastic when lifting the bike.

I believe that I am now at the point of diminishing returns. Yes I could spend more upgrading this and that but would I really notice differences that I would appreciate everyday on every ride? I'm not sure. I think that this bike is a good all rounder with good enough spec to keep most people entertained unless you need to be the most blingtastic, the lightest, the quickest, the most expensive or indeed the most cutting edge. It's none of those things and still I smile when Im on it as I would with most other bikes I'm sure.

Eebs are like cameras. People ask "Whats the best camera in the world?" The answer is always the one you have got with you!
Hi Pigin,
I am now the very proud owner of a WILD M0 (I had a LEVO Carbon before). I found your appraisal very interesting and helps my understanding of what I need to look out for going forwards
Any further updates since your last post?

Pigin

Jul 7, 2020
Saddleworth
Hi @StevoKickstart , I don’t think I’ve got any more to add really. Loving the bike still and at the moment it’s plenty bike for me in terms of what I do and the ride I expect. I guess by the time I’ve worn things out I should add what they were replaced with and why. Thanks for the comments.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles