IMG_9385.jpg

IMG_9386.jpg

Manufacturer: Decathlon
Model: E-ST 900
Model Year: 2020
Price Paid: 1900
New/Used: Brand New
Score (out of 10): 9

Review: This is my first ebike, so can't really compare to others.
I've already ridden more than 600km on it during little more than two months without issues.

Decathlon doesn't stock those in shops, so you have to buy it from the pictures on the Internet. So, the first thing that I noticed immediately when it arrived is the size of tyres. Those look huge! Firstly I even thought that I will change them with something smaller that would fit better for everyday commuting. But now after many rides I find the tyres quite good and they don't look to me as ridiculous as in the beginning.

Bike feels very good, motor assistance is amazing, you can go up any hill. Gears are changing well (unless you forget that you have to clean and oil the chain :)), brakes are breaking.
For me battery lasts about 100km. I like changing support level depending on the terrain, so no exact level for this measurement, but I mostly use 1 or 2 bars. Only on the steepest hills I change to the third one. Don't remember using last level, except for the sake of trying it. So for me 75Nm are more than enough.

Motor is quite silent. Actually I've heard it on the first ride and yesterday, when started thinking about writing this review. So it normally isn't an issue at all. I've bought the most expensive kickstand from decathlon for 12€ and it was ok for maybe a week, then it started rattling while riding. This is much more annoying than the sound of the motor.
I almost don't feel the cutoff, speed just stops increasing as fast. It happens somewhere between 25 and 27 km/h according to the speedometer.

Some negatives:
- I change support levels quite often. Up and down buttons are not comfortable, every time I have to think about pressing it and move my hand. Plus there is a joystick and on/off, lights buttons. Too many for my taste. Overall display is quite nice and readable.
- Gearing is too slow. Max speed you can go by pedalling is about 35km/h, if you want more, you have to pedal like crazy. Maybe it’s enough for off-road, but when you go on a beautiful tarmac sometimes you would like to go faster than that. Plus, I found that I mostly use last three, maybe four speeds, so definitely gearing ratio should be higher (Already ordered 38T chainring as suggested by @BeBiker).
- Water bottle screws. I think decathlon engineers must have been drinking for the whole week before they came up with such ridiculous idea.

Overall I like this bike very much. I give it 9 points mainly because wrong gearing and no normal place for a bottle.

DT36

Sep 17, 2020
S. Wales
Pretty much the same thoughts as myself on the gearing. I've also changed the front chainring to a 38t. Much better.
With regards to the tyres, they are good on the road or forest fire trails, but are absolutely shocking on wet/muddy grass sections.
Overall though, I am very happy with the bike in all other aspects.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles