Review 2020 Decathalon Stilus Review

Andyd68

May 7, 2020
Birmingham
That's interesting, can I ask, did you put it in basket at an earlier point (where it stayed) in the day and then wait till 11pm as the site msg says, or did it come into stock at 11pm. I ask as I put one in my basket yesterday morning and kept trying from that point, then it suddenly disappeared about 3 mins later, never to reappear again.
Cheers......
Looking at stock in a few countries across Europe there aren’t many left. 5 Large in Spain which is annoying for me lol. More stores are doing click and collect next week I believe which might help. But not seen any large frame in U.K. at all in the latest batch. Don’t know if that’s it again for a while ?

Timmoh

May 18, 2020
Wales
Looking at stock in a few countries across Europe there aren’t many left. 5 Large in Spain which is annoying for me lol. More stores are doing click and collect next week I believe which might help. But not seen any large frame in U.K. at all in the latest batch. Don’t know if that’s it again for a while ?
Thanks for that. Hopefully more will come over but I am getting more doubtful by the day......

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent
So I put it in my basket when it was in stock, then tried to Click and Collect or to deliver but no joy. Every time I went back to try again for delivery it was still in my basket.

My view though is that was only because it was still in stock. If they had sold out before I got a slot then like you I think it would have disappeared.

So yes, it stayed in my basket, but I’m sure it wasn’t mine until I got a delivery or click and collect slot as that’s when you get to the payment page (and boy does it feel good to get to that page!!!!).

Timmoh

May 18, 2020
Wales
So I put it in my basket when it was in stock, then tried to Click and Collect or to deliver but no joy. Every time I went back to try again for delivery it was still in my basket.

My view though is that was only because it was still in stock. If they had sold out before I got a slot then like you I think it would have disappeared.

So yes, it stayed in my basket, but I’m sure it wasn’t mine until I got a delivery or click and collect slot as that’s when you get to the payment page (and boy does it feel good to get to that page!!!!).
Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I await that page............

Timmoh

May 18, 2020
Wales
Well, I am not a quitter, never have been, have a fair amount of patience, and understand there is a virus going around changing life in general, but, I may well have reached my limits ( and the point of not wanting the Stilus anymore). Not because of the bike (it fits what I want), but solely due to Decathlon ordering protocol/fiasco.
For the uninitiated who drop by this post, I wanted to add my experience to the others here who have tried to lay out what to expect when ordering. Right, here goes;
For 3/4 weeks I have watched eagerly and when in stock, put it in my basket-sometimes 3 times a day due to it disappearing mysteriously throughout the day then reappearing. My Son has even got in on the act as he wants one and has tried-interestingly, as we both check at the same time, we sometimes even both get different Web pages at the same time (some have delivery message, some throw you out immediately, some repeatedly do the are you a robot thing). They change goalposts and have no clear process as other sites have.
I have tried daily, I have stayed up till early hours. I have clicked back and forth like I am in some sort of Olympic challenge to beat someone else by 1 thousandth of a second! I have covered every base but cannot see how someone gets their hands on one of these bikes at this particular time. There is no rhyme or reason to the ordering as the basket contents are taken out at any point by decathlon forces unknown. I originally thought it was due to people being able to choose click and collect in the 3 open London stores, but this is not now an option for people, so stock should be available to stay in my/the basket until the bun fight at 11pm surely? I am happy for that as at least there is a fairness/consistency about it.
Admittedly this post is a bit of a rant, but also a warning for anybody looking at getting one, to prepare to be treated by Decathlon in a way you never have before when it comes to unfathomable purchasing online from them. Check out Trust pilot ratings since lock down-not great.......
Good Luck to anyone still trying, make sure you have a stiff drink to hand.........

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I think they're victims of their own success with it.

This is the France site, even there it's low on sizes ..

Screenshot (34).png

Wonder if you could order one for collection at a the Calais store. Eurostar yourself over and ride it back/van it.

Kme

May 4, 2020
Wirral

View attachment 33252

Wonder if you could order one for collection at a the Calais store. Eurostar yourself over and ride it back/van it.
I actually (unbelievably and only for a nanosecond) considered this but I wouldn't trust Decathlons lottery of an ordering system enough to actually trust there would be anything there to pick up! ?

Andyd68

May 7, 2020
Birmingham
Yes totally unfair France have had plenty in stock a few days ago at least 15 for each size (guess they are looking after their own). Neseen Large in stock for weeks.

For the people wanting XL nightmare I tried to order one as my local store is now available to click and collect but no option when ordering. So yes totally unfair and not a level playing field.

oh XL in stock now ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I actually (unbelievably and only for a nanosecond) considered this but I wouldn't trust Decathlons lottery of an ordering system enough to actually trust there would be anything there to pick up! ?
I ordered a bike through them last year with store collection. Can't remember if I got a text or e-mail, but went down and there it was all ready to go ...

But ..... I guess there's always a risk ! :)

There are other options out there, the value gap reduces when you compare the Euro prices compared to the UK decathlon price . ($3299)

The same money gets you a cube hybrid pro 120 : or €150 more for a focus thron 6.7

Kme

May 4, 2020
Wirral
Yes totally unfair France have had plenty in stock a few days ago at least 15 for each size (guess they are looking after their own). Neseen Large in stock for weeks.

For the people wanting XL nightmare I tried to order one as my local store is now available to click and collect but no option when ordering. So yes totally unfair and not a level playing field.

oh XL in stock now ?
And I noticed since yesterday they have increased delivery by 33% too ?

Timmoh

May 18, 2020
Wales

View attachment 33252

TRIED. even though calais says they have them, they actually don't. Have to pick in some other French store.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
TRIED. even though calais says they have them, they actually don't. Have to pick in some other French store.
Normally with Decathlon, if order on-line and then select the store you want to collect from. The bike is then delivered there and prepped and you collect it ?

(just looked and the 5 XL's from this morning are now gone on the French system)

Calais don't show as having stock themselves. But if you click - buy on line, then under Livraison (delivery) - you can select pick up from store :

Screenshot (35).png

The select the region pas-de-calais and then the calais store :

Screenshot (36).png

And it would be there on the 19th. Interestingly, near me , the earliest was the 23rd, as you can see on the first print.

jooles

Jan 23, 2020
South Wales
At this amazing price It's good to have a new gen Bosche motor too. Some brand new swanky looking expensive EMtb still use the now pretty dated e8000 that cannot be repaired...still even after launch several years ago. The e8000 was groundbreaking in its day, still delivers a good feel on trail however there are now more modern designs.

Ref bike capabilities: There are ways to get the geometry better suited to knar. Offset bushings in shock and headset. Mixing 29/27.5 wheel sizes. My bike came stock at around 68 degrees and have dropped it to 65.5/66 using above approach.

Only issue with loooong chainstay is potential rider weight imbalance especially if front end is shorter (steeper head angle does this). However you can stretch front end out as above.

If you want better braking bigger 200+ rotors help a ton.

The great thing about a cheaper bike is ability to upgrade. It's fun. You make the bike bespoke for you. You can sell off the used components too.

I heartily praise those suppliers that make entry to this sport more affordable for all.

Currently selling like mad but in a few months they may be more available...

Enjoy.

Andyd68

May 7, 2020
Birmingham
At this amazing price It's good to have a new gen Bosche motor too. Some brand new swanky looking expensive EMtb still use the now pretty dated e8000 that cannot be repaired...still even after launch several years ago. The e8000 was groundbreaking in its day, still delivers a good feel on trail however there are now more modern designs.

Ref bike capabilities: There are ways to get the geometry better suited to knar. Offset bushings in shock and headset. Mixing 29/27.5 wheel sizes. My bike came stock at around 68 degrees and have dropped it to 65.5/66 using above approach.

Only issue with loooong chainstay is potential rider weight imbalance especially if front end is shorter (steeper head angle does this). However you can stretch front end out as above.

If you want better braking bigger 200+ rotors help a ton.

The great thing about a cheaper bike is ability to upgrade. It's fun. You make the bike bespoke for you. You can sell off the used components too.

I heartily praise those suppliers that make entry to this sport more affordable for all.

Currently selling like mad but in a few months they may be more available...

Enjoy.
One of those waiting for these to come back into stock. I am 5’ 10 so waiting for a Large.

What do you think of the new Bosch motor?

MPJ

Nov 28, 2019
Chiltern Hills, UK
One of those waiting for these to come back into stock. I am 5’ 10 so waiting for a Large.

What do you think of the new Bosch motor?
I have gone XL for my order. I am the same height but I prefer the 'greeting the Queen' position when riding.
I also hope I can adjust the cockpit if needed with carefully selected risers, stem, seat etc. My un-educated guess is that I think I have more adjustability if the frame is slightly on the big side rather than slightly on the small side.
Then again, what do I know maybe I just have 'King Louie' arms!

Last edited:

Andyd68

May 7, 2020
Birmingham
I have gone XL for my order. I am the same height but I prefer the 'greeting the Queen' position when riding.
I also hope I can adjust the cockpit if needed with carefully selected risers, stem, seat etc. My un-educated guess is that I think I have more adjustability if the frame is slightly on the big side rather than slightly on the small side.
Then again, what do I know maybe I just have 'King Louie' arms!
I am going with advice from the decathlon website and comments from Phil who created this post. This will be (if I ever get one) my first bike so if I go with the standard I don’t think I will go far wrong.

@jooles makes a good point at this price there is room for some adjustments.

Only other bike I have seen is the Giant stance + 2 at £3000 but looks worse spec to the untrained eye for more money.

jooles

Jan 23, 2020
South Wales
A short stem and wider (780+) bars assist with steering feel. Unless shorter arms.

The whole forward geometry was based on running a 30mm or less stem.

They key is to get components that can be upgraded. Example: Yari fork is great especially when upgraded with a higher volume negative chamber air shaft. Not expensive but creates a lovely feel in a cheaper fork.

Same applies to brakes. For example my Shimano SLX work a treat with big rotors and you can upgrade the pads to vented versions to help heat dissipation.

They key is to get a bike that 90% fits, has a geometry that not only suits current but potential future needs and that you can grow into feeling confident and enjoying the process.

I dipped my toe in the eMtb world with a £2.5k diamond back ranger. I knew it had same VPP rear end kinematics as a Mondraker frame size in XL had slightly larger reach than my analogue 29er Enduro and with a plus sized 650 frame could take either 650 or 29 wheels.

Playing around with it, spending a few hundred more has resulted in a bike that suits me, my style and weighs sub 22kg.

Lots of choice but lots of great advice on forums such as these with contributors that have no vested interest.

Andyd68

May 7, 2020
Birmingham
Lots of choice but lots of great advice on forums such as these with contributors that have no vested interest.
I do like the vibe on this forum as mostly everyone is very helpful when answering the same questions over and over again.

@jooles and @PhilBaker and others I am sure I will be asking for all kinds of advice once I get mine so be warned lol ? (you can always put me on mute)

jooles

Jan 23, 2020
South Wales
I've had a few runs without mine and no issues.

With narrow/wide chain rings loosing the chain has become far harder.

Maybe they install on Ebikes due to the torque factor however I've had no issues yet ..

Jules

nickfrog

May 22, 2020
UK
I suspect £1500 of the delta between the Stilus and the budget end of branded bikes is merely brand kudos, / trail snobery.

The Stilus is brilliant VFM indeed but quite frankly, I find the Decoy 29 at £4k better value for my needs/preferences, particularly based on the geo and drivetrain. The £1,300 delta is surprisingly small for what you get actually. Very little to do with brand or snobbery, although this might also count for some.

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent
This is why I’m looking forward to Rob’s upcoming review of the bike so we can get a solid comparison against what else is out there vs the Stilus.

There are probably many people out there buying one as their first EMTB, who like me jumped on it and thought it was amazing compared to their old acoustic bike but I guess you would right?

I only had £2,699 and wanted a 27.5 wheel set so it was an easy decision but will be interested in what you have to spend elsewhere to compare to or upgrade from the Stilus...

Timmoh

May 18, 2020
Wales
This is why I’m looking forward to Rob’s upcoming review of the bike so we can get a solid comparison against what else is out there vs the Stilus.

There are probably many people out there buying one as their first EMTB, who like me jumped on it and thought it was amazing compared to their old acoustic bike but I guess you would right?

I only had £2,699 and wanted a 27.5 wheel set so it was an easy decision but will be interested in what you have to spend elsewhere to compare to or upgrade from the Stilus...
Woke up to this! Feels like the birth of my first child ?. Hope it doesn't cost as much

Screenshot_20200709_084035_com.android.chrome.jpg

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
If all you want is an EMTB to do general mountain biking that will get you anywhere and over any terrain, push yourself a bit on the trails, and maybe serve use for a bit of other riding such as some commuting etc etc then the Stylus is really all the bike you need.

If you are looking at an EMTB to go shredding on, then the cost difference between it and some of the base models of other brands that have a lesser spec, but geometry better suited to hard charging, then you have to weigh up the cost saving vs the suitability/upgrade possibilities of other bikes.

I actually think that the geometry of the stylus, whilst potentially limiting for some riders, is actually pretty good for a lot of the people who will buy it, as they longer chain stays would make me think that it will be a very capable climber, and a very steady, solid bike.

nickfrog

May 22, 2020
UK
The delta is sometimes small and sometimes large.
How that translates into value depends on what you personally value.
Geo and drivetrain might be obvious to some (including you and I) and far less relevant to others.
But undoubtedly some brands market their products on perception and desirability, beyond the sum of their parts.

YT's direct supply model being a means to ensure margin, whilst maintaining a level of deign and spec.
Their trade off being not offering the support of a dealer network.
A pro for some, a con for others.

You pays your money and takes your choice. :unsure:

Agreed 100%, it's indeed not merely brand kudos / trail snobery.

Bobajobbob

Aug 5, 2020
Kent UK
I've been trying to buy this bike for a month or so now and have resigned myself to the fact that I may need to look elsewhere. I'd really appreciate some recommendations for an similar alternative that is actually in stock somewhere. Budget up to about 3.5k. So many of the bikes I look at simply can't be bought anywhere or are only available in the smallest frame size.

This will be my first ebike and I'm just looking for something that will help me keep up with the kids and get me out more often. Riding will be mixed between road, trails and some downhill sections at a civilised pace. I'm too old for crazy riding and jumps etc :)

Specwise I am a total novice but from doing my research on here I think I want a rear shock, 27.5 inch wheels and a Bosch motor.

Thanks a lot.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles