Review 2020 Decathalon Stilus Review

Jasext

Mar 27, 2020
Swansea Valley
I've been trying for 2 weeks, emailed decathlon who have said "keep an eye on the stock list as they're unsure when they are back in stock"

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent
Stock seems to appear at anytime, mine appeared at 1pm Saturday (well that’s when I noticed it).

Sure you can then put it in your basket but normally no delivery slots left which seem to appear late at night/early morning.

My basket seemed to keep the bike in their everytime I went to look for a delivery slot BUT I can’t guarantee that this means ta yours. I suspect if someone else has it in their basket also and they get the deliver slot first, you will then get an out of stock message...

Timmoh

May 18, 2020
Wales
Stock seems to appear at anytime, mine appeared at 1pm Saturday (well that’s when I noticed it).

Sure you can then put it in your basket but normally no delivery slots left which seem to appear late at night/early morning.

My basket seemed to keep the bike in their everytime I went to look for a delivery slot BUT I can’t guarantee that this means ta yours. I suspect if someone else has it in their basket also and they get the deliver slot first, you will then get an out of stock message...
Thanks for that, seems like it's gonna be a labour of love and some angry bits......

Kme

May 4, 2020
Wirral
I've been trying for 2 weeks, emailed decathlon who have said "keep an eye on the stock list as they're unsure when they are back in stock"
Same here, been checking several times a day every day, still waiting for that glorious moment when (XL out of stock) is replaced by something more promising!

Timmoh

May 18, 2020
Wales
Same here, been checking several times a day every day, still waiting for that glorious moment when (XL out of stock) is replaced by something more promising!
Maybe easier to get any size available and cut a couple of inches off our legs and arms to suit ?.

• Haha
Reactions: Kme

Timmoh

May 18, 2020
Wales
Great review and really helpful posts as I am thinking about getting one of these if I can just get in the Decathlon queuing system at the right time.
Saw this video on YouTube last night from a chap in Italy.

It seems that he seems to rate this bike but says something like he would change the tyres out for something more appropriate to where he is riding.
Looking to get one ASAP. BTW, Can't beat an Italian test rider commentary! All test rides should have one. I wish I had the breath to talk that much on a downhill section.....

Timmoh

May 18, 2020
Wales
I would also echo R120’s comments, I don’t think the geometry is great on this bike as you do seem to be pushed forward in the cockpit somewhat, hence it feels so small.

The Sempione it’s based on comes in multiple configurations including 29’er wheel sets so potentially you could make it a 29’er.

It feels solid, and fun and I’m happy with my purchase but if you are really into your downhill biking and geometry is important, this may not be the perfect fit for you.

Looking forward to meeting up with another noob whose not far from me and he brought the Lapierre so will see if we can swap to get a feel for how they compare.

I’ve ridden Whyte emtb’s on demo days a few years back and hated the way the engine cut in and out and the resistance it left you with, where as the new Bosch motor feels much better.

Happy to answer any questions, measure shit or upload more photo’s.

View attachment 30967

View attachment 30968

View attachment 30969

View attachment 30970

View attachment 30971

View attachment 30972
Hi Phil, a great help and brill to see you are happy to measure stuff etc. So, with that in mind, can you measure roughly the effective top tube/reach length and also crank centre to top of seat tube please. I have checked out the Lombardi site and so on buy as you have the actual bike, asking you makes sense to me. I have a Norco hardtail (not emtb) and want to compare as I feel even my bike is a little cramped (running seat fully back on rails etc). I am assuming your bike is Large. I am 5'11" and pretty average in the arm and leg dept-2 of each and length wise! I am leaning towards the XL tbh but your info would give me a bit more confidence. Cheers.

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent
Hey, no worries. The crank to top of seat tube is 440 on Large and the top tube is 572, both in line with the Decathalon Geometry spec chart.

The all important Reach which is not mentioned however, as best as I can measure it is 390mm on the Large Frame. Small right! This is my point about the cockpit feeling small and I’m 5’10” with standard sized arms.

Saying that, I cut down the wide bars slightly and upgraded the stem from the standard 50mm one to a 70mm one and it feels much better now, really glad I did it. The bike now feels much more in proportion and I’ve not noticed any real change in the steering responsiveness.

So up to you which one you think will suit you better, if 440mm is long enough for your legs you could go Large and upgrade the Stem or go XL with 480mm for your legs.

I’ve always ridden a medium frame and I am so glad I sized up to the large as the cockpit comes up small.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Timmoh

May 18, 2020
Wales
Hey, no worries. The crank to top of seat tube is 440 on Large and the top tube is 572, both in line with the Decathalon Geometry spec chart.

The all important Reach which is not mentioned however, as best as I can measure it is 390mm on the Large Frame. Small right! This is my point about the cockpit feeling small and I’m 5’10” with standard sized arms.

Saying that, I cut down the wide bars slightly and upgraded the stem from the standard 50mm one to a 70mm one and it feels much better now, really glad I did it. The bike now feels much more in proportion and I’ve not noticed any real change in the steering responsiveness.

So up to you which one you think will suit you better, if 440mm is long enough for your legs you could go Large and upgrade the Stem or go XL with 480mm for your legs.

I’ve always ridden a medium frame and I am so glad I sized up to the large as the cockpit comes up small.

Top man! That helps loads and just an aside, I mentioned in my first post on another thread (“post heart attack queries“), that I rode my Brother in laws Rocky Mountain carbon altitude 2019 and have just been measuring loads on that one as it felt good size wise. Turns out they are pretty similar, but considering the RM is a Large and the Stilus measurements that are closest are for an XL, in most dimensions apart from wheelbase (longer for stilus due to taking 29“ wheels if wanted) and a slightly slacker head angle (1 degree). Therefore XL is my choice in this case.
Major thanks for doing the measuring thing, always good to do the homework before buying blind so to speak.
Cheers...........

MikeDozer

May 25, 2020
Poland
Hi there!

After my first ride i got a nasty derailleur damage from a log.

1590470592686.png

I didnt have spare hook but... it survived. The derailleur got some damage, one pulley was lost but we manage to get home from woods. To much power, lack of experience with ebikes and little bad luck i guess.
Anyway, anyone know the derailleur hanger type? Decathlon nor Lombard bikes answer to my questions :(
I always carry spare hook on analog bikes and it has saved me few times.

Timmoh

May 18, 2020
Wales
Hi there!

After my first ride i got a nasty derailleur damage from a log.

View attachment 32078

I didnt have spare hook but... it survived. The derailleur got some damage, one pulley was lost but we manage to get home from woods. To much power, lack of experience with ebikes and little bad luck i guess.
Anyway, anyone know the derailleur hanger type? Decathlon nor Lombard bikes answer to my questions :(
I always carry spare hook on analog bikes and it has saved me few times.
Hi, haven't got my model yet to check it out but looked at the Internet to see that Sram do a universal hanger that is called unsurprisingly the Sram UDH universal hanger. It says it will fit all new/modern mtbs and electric. Write up was 2019 so I assume it may fit.
Seems worth a look as I was wondering about this replaceable bit for when I eventually get a Stilus.
Hope this helps and let me know if it works. BTW, it looks as though it is priced low as well ?.
Cheers.....

Timmoh

May 18, 2020
Wales
Hi, haven't got my model yet to check it out but looked at the Internet to see that Sram do a universal hanger that is called unsurprisingly the Sram UDH universal hanger. It says it will fit all new/modern mtbs and electric. Write up was 2019 so I assume it may fit.
Seems worth a look as I was wondering about this replaceable bit for when I eventually get a Stilus.
Hope this helps and let me know if it works. BTW, it looks as though it is priced low as well ?.
Cheers.....
Me again, in a bit of a rush but try this link
It says its about 17 quid plus pp.
Seems OK from initial write ups.
Cheers......

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent
Just realised I posted Part 2 of my review on a different thread so re-posting here for completeness to this review:

View attachment 32220 View attachment 32222 View attachment 32223 View attachment 32224 View attachment 32225

UPDATE #2: 200 miles on

Added a few upgrades, some cosmetic, some improvements:-

Stem: By far the best upgrade and it was really cheap, is the XLC 70mm stem from Amazon (link below):
XLC Unisex - Adult's ST-M27 All...
Totally changed the small “feel” of the cockpit and 20mm doesn’t seem to have noticeably impacted the steering responsiveness. Only challenge with ordering this stem on amazon prime is it doesn’t say how long it is and they do 3 sizes. The link is for the 70mm one but to check before you order take the product id number from the details page and search for it in google and it takes you to another bike shop site which confirms which length the stem is. :) Note, this Stem is straight and does not have the 6 degree rise the standard one does so I moved the stem up the final spacer and it feels great! Definitely my no.1 recommendation if you feel the cockpit is to small for you! I’d suggest this will be the no.1 upgrade for many, particularly as it’s quick and cheap (and looks better than the stock one).

Front Fender: Mucky Nutz, Black and Orange really goes with the bikes colour scheme :cool::
Mucky Nutz Face Fender
Grips: Ergon GA3 grips. Feel much better than the stock ones and I’m a big fan of their grips (used on last 2 bikes). The Juicy orange colour will need some cleaning though! Come in 2 sizes so use the sizing chart before you order (I went small)
ERGON Unisex's GA3 Grips, Juicy Orange, Large
Seat: Ergon Sm E-MTB. Agree, you don’t need an e-MTB saddle but I do like the raised tail on the climbs, much better than the stock seat. There are mixed reviews on this seat and it’s not the cheapest so maybe try it out in your LBS if you can. Comes in two sizes and you have to measure your sit bones before ordering. I’m still undecided whether I like it to be honest. My initial thoughts were no, the raised sides are fairly high and I wasn’t feeling the love. After 100 miles I’m getting used to it and today when I want back to my trusty old “comfortable” saddle I thought that it wasn’t that comfortable! Maybe I’m getting used to it but it’s not for everyone I assure you.
Ergon Men's Sm E-MTB Sport Saddle
Top Buying Tip: I brought the Ergon grips and Ergon seat from Bikeinn.com, definitely cheaper than Amazon, 4-5 day delivery and they had plenty of cheap bottle cages also.

Battery Life Update: I couldn’t be more impressed with the stock 500W battery. Sure, like most folks, I was looking for the 625W battery and was gutted it wasn’t an option, but honestly the stock 500W is rock solid. NOTE: I weigh 75Kg which is obviously important for any comparison, but the last 3 full battery rides I’ve got 47miles in a Tour Mode and 43 miles in EMTB mode. All rides have more than 2000 metres of climbing although I am peddling pretty hard also.
It’s probably the same on most bikes but Bosch’s Purion display does fluctuate a lot on the “miles remaining” counter. You ride up a short hill and it can go from the 40’s down to the 10’s and then you cruise down a hill and your back up into the 40’s. I guess given it uses the last mile of riding for it’s remaining miles prediction, that’s going to happen, so just go with it. In the long run though, with a mix of ups and downs, I am getting the 47 miles predicted distance in the beginning each ride.
Other thing I don’t know, is when it gets to 0 miles left, it keeps on going! I must have done a mile beyond the 0 miles left counter and still didn’t hit the limit so not sure what’s left in the tank when you hit zero.

Bosch Gen 4 Performance Line CX - Motor Rattle: this has been discussed in other posts and I can see some people are being put off by it. Here’s my perspective on this.
The engine is really quiet, I’m surprised just how quiet it is (remember this is my 1st E-Bike though). When I started riding this motor from new, I saw some posts and a video on this “rattle” when you are not peddling and going over rocks and bumps, and I had no idea what everyone was going on about! I didn’t notice this at all and I was looking for it. Sure enough though, 50-70+ miles into the new motor, mine does it now. You even notice it when riding around the speed limiter. It’s like a click or knock sound as you go from freewheeling to engaging the motor. It’s slightly annoying but for me, it’s not a major deal breaker and it’s only when you are going from freewheeling to engaging the motor. Other threads with responses from Bosch on this “issue” state that the new leaner, lighter, thinner motor does make a little bit more noise so suck it up and in other replies Bosch say if you ride the bike it eventually goes away. I do not hold out much hope that it will disappear over time as it only started doing it as the engine bedded in.
In short, would it put me off buying this motor, no, I still think it’s a great motor and if the click remains then it’s a minor inconvenience to me that I’ll get used to.

Well I think that’s enough! As I said before, let me know if you have any questions regarding the bike and good luck to those of you waiting to get one. It’s an awesome bike from my point of view, at an incredible bargain price! Reading the Top 25 ebikes review someone posted this week, the cheapest bike in that list is more than double this bike and I struggle to believe it is twice as good!;)

Timmoh

May 18, 2020
Wales
Just realised I posted Part 2 of my review on a different thread so re-posting here for completeness to this review:

View attachment 32220 View attachment 32222 View attachment 32223 View attachment 32224 View attachment 32225

Stem: By far the best upgrade and it was really cheap, is the XLC 70mm stem from Amazon (link below):
Totally changed the small “feel” of the cockpit and 20mm doesn’t seem to have noticeably impacted the steering responsiveness. Only challenge with ordering this stem on amazon prime is it doesn’t say how long it is and they do 3 sizes. The link is for the 70mm one but to check before you order take the product id number from the details page and search for it in google and it takes you to another bike shop site which confirms which length the stem is. :) Note, this Stem is straight and does not have the 6 degree rise the standard one does so I moved the stem up the final spacer and it feels great! Definitely my no.1 recommendation if you feel the cockpit is to small for you! I’d suggest this will be the no.1 upgrade for many, particularly as it’s quick and cheap (and looks better than the stock one).

Front Fender: Mucky Nutz, Black and Orange really goes with the bikes colour scheme :cool::
Mucky Nutz Face Fender
Grips: Ergon GA3 grips. Feel much better than the stock ones and I’m a big fan of their grips (used on last 2 bikes). The Juicy orange colour will need some cleaning though! Come in 2 sizes so use the sizing chart before you order (I went small)
Seat: Ergon Sm E-MTB. Agree, you don’t need an e-MTB saddle but I do like the raised tail on the climbs, much better than the stock seat. There are mixed reviews on this seat and it’s not the cheapest so maybe try it out in your LBS if you can. Comes in two sizes and you have to measure your sit bones before ordering. I’m still undecided whether I like it to be honest. My initial thoughts were no, the raised sides are fairly high and I wasn’t feeling the love. After 100 miles I’m getting used to it and today when I want back to my trusty old “comfortable” saddle I thought that it wasn’t that comfortable! Maybe I’m getting used to it but it’s not for everyone I assure you.
Top Buying Tip: I brought the Ergon grips and Ergon seat from Bikeinn.com, definitely cheaper than Amazon, 4-5 day delivery and they had plenty of cheap bottle cages also.

Battery Life Update: I couldn’t be more impressed with the stock 500W battery. Sure, like most folks, I was looking for the 625W battery and was gutted it wasn’t an option, but honestly the stock 500W is rock solid. NOTE: I weigh 75Kg which is obviously important for any comparison, but the last 3 full battery rides I’ve got 47miles in a Tour Mode and 43 miles in EMTB mode. All rides have more than 2000 metres of climbing although I am peddling pretty hard also.
It’s probably the same on most bikes but Bosch’s Purion display does fluctuate a lot on the “miles remaining” counter. You ride up a short hill and it can go from the 40’s down to the 10’s and then you cruise down a hill and your back up into the 40’s. I guess given it uses the last mile of riding for it’s remaining miles prediction, that’s going to happen, so just go with it. In the long run though, with a mix of ups and downs, I am getting the 47 miles predicted distance in the beginning each ride.
Other thing I don’t know, is when it gets to 0 miles left, it keeps on going! I must have done a mile beyond the 0 miles left counter and still didn’t hit the limit so not sure what’s left in the tank when you hit zero.

Bosch Gen 4 Performance Line CX - Motor Rattle: this has been discussed in other posts and I can see some people are being put off by it. Here’s my perspective on this.
The engine is really quiet, I’m surprised just how quiet it is (remember this is my 1st E-Bike though). When I started riding this motor from new, I saw some posts and a video on this “rattle” when you are not peddling and going over rocks and bumps, and I had no idea what everyone was going on about! I didn’t notice this at all and I was looking for it. Sure enough though, 50-70+ miles into the new motor, mine does it now. You even notice it when riding around the speed limiter. It’s like a click or knock sound as you go from freewheeling to engaging the motor. It’s slightly annoying but for me, it’s not a major deal breaker and it’s only when you are going from freewheeling to engaging the motor. Other threads with responses from Bosch on this “issue” state that the new leaner, lighter, thinner motor does make a little bit more noise so suck it up and in other replies Bosch say if you ride the bike it eventually goes away. I do not hold out much hope that it will disappear over time as it only started doing it as the engine bedded in.
In short, would it put me off buying this motor, no, I still think it’s a great motor and if the click remains then it’s a minor inconvenience to me that I’ll get used to.

Well I think that’s enough! As I said before, let me know if you have any questions regarding the bike and good luck to those of you waiting to get one. It’s an awesome bike from my point of view, at an incredible bargain price! Reading the Top 25 ebikes review someone posted this week, the cheapest bike in that list is more than double this bike and I struggle to believe it is twice as good!;)
Great update and refreshing to not have just the usual high end comparisons/bias etc just because the bike was on loan from "them/sponsored" site as is sometimes the case. I know those pro reviews are useful/helpful/needed, but I also feel it is good to mix these with "everyday Joe" reviews that are just as insightful and relatable to experience and pockets!
I'm still waiting for the bike to come back on line/in stock and it is doing my head in-if the site worked on hits alone they would outdo Google from my end at the mo.
I have looked for alternatives due to the lack of stock but cannot bring myself to buy any of them as the Stilus has pretty much all the stuff I would want on it, while being at the price I want to pay, and able to do the type of rides I will put it through,-after all, isn't that the whole point of making the choices we do and decisions we make?
Once again, thanks for updating the review, hopefully it will keep giving long into the future for you (and me when I get one).
Cheers...........

MPJ

Nov 28, 2019
Chiltern Hills, UK
Great update and refreshing to not have just the usual high end comparisons/bias etc just because the bike was on loan from "them/sponsored" site as is sometimes the case. I know those pro reviews are useful/helpful/needed, but I also feel it is good to mix these with "everyday Joe" reviews that are just as insightful and relatable to experience and pockets!
I'm still waiting for the bike to come back on line/in stock and it is doing my head in-if the site worked on hits alone they would outdo Google from my end at the mo.
I have looked for alternatives due to the lack of stock but cannot bring myself to buy any of them as the Stilus has pretty much all the stuff I would want on it, while being at the price I want to pay, and able to do the type of rides I will put it through,-after all, isn't that the whole point of making the choices we do and decisions we make?
Once again, thanks for updating the review, hopefully it will keep giving long into the future for you (and me when I get one).
Cheers...........
Timmoh, Not yet 100% on this and still checking but there is definitely stock in the pipeline heading for the UK. Should know more mid next week.

MPJ

Nov 28, 2019
Chiltern Hills, UK
These Decathlon stores are re-opening on Monday 1st June so when Stilus stock reappears we have an option to get it sent to the stores again for pick-up so hopefully will stop the bun fight on the large item direct delivery option on the website. Good luck!
BELFAST
BREAHEAD
EALING BROADWAY
EDINBURGH
GILTBROOK
HIGH STREEN KENSINGTON
MILTON KEYNES
NEWCASTLE
OXFORD
POOLE
READING
SHEFFIELD
SOUTHAMPTON
STOCKPORT
SURREY QUAYS
WANDSWORTH
WARRINGTON
WEDNESBURY

Timmoh

May 18, 2020
Wales
Timmoh, Not yet 100% on this and still checking but there is definitely stock in the pipeline heading for the UK. Should know more mid next week.
Awesome, hope its a damn big container full looking at the interest around the place??.
Cheers for the update.....

Blue Moon

Apr 17, 2019
North Manchester

Mucky Nutz Face Fender

hi, that’s great review, well done. One point though, your keys. I have the same style keys with my early Trek PF7 and the ring goes through the black eyelet / key cover but not the key. I’ve had 2 separate, fortunately I found each key on my garage floor. The key has a hole in it but it didn’t line up with the hole in the cover and never would so I binned the covers and just had blank keys.

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent
Phil, I notice no chain guide, do you think it needs one?
Must admit, I’ve had one on all my other bikes but there seems to be a good clearance on this bike and so far I’ve not noticed any chain slap and no marks to the paint on the chainstay.

Will probably put one on at some point though ;)

Reactions: MPJ

Timmoh

May 18, 2020
Wales
Just a quick update. As I am still off work due to the plague, thought I would call up a few stores asking about this bike (just curious now that stores have opened again) and got a few interesting answers;
The Stilus was;
1. Originally just a one off consignment.
2. Not planned for UK market though loads are still available in the rest of Europe.
3. As it is above above price Decathlon usually sell bikes at, it was to be looked on as a one off.
These are all conversations I had with various staff who were aways helpful at the other end but not very confidence inspiring if you want to see/try one out.
Still living in hope, and hope the manufacturer hasn't realised he could ask a few more quid and got greedy.
We live in hope of stock but I am getting more than a bit nervous.........

Reactions: Kme

Andyd68

May 7, 2020
Birmingham
Just a quick update. As I am still off work due to the plague, thought I would call up a few stores asking about this bike (just curious now that stores have opened again) and got a few interesting answers;
The Stilus was;
2. Not planned for UK market though loads are still available in the rest of Europe.
3. As it is above above price Decathlon usually sell bikes at, it was to be looked on as a one off.
These are all conversations I had with various staff who were aways helpful at the other end but not very confidence inspiring if you want to see/try one out.
Still living in hope, and hope the manufacturer hasn't realised he could ask a few more quid and got greedy.
When doing research on this bike I saw that it was a stop gap before Rockrider launched their own F/S bike. I did wonder if they would only build a certain number and maybe underestimated the demand. Think they cost more in the rest of Europe so can earn more money by selling them there. Fingers crossed (for me anyway) but haven’t seen a bike that comes close to this one.

MPJ

Nov 28, 2019
Chiltern Hills, UK
The Stilus was;
My understanding as of this morning:-
1. Stock is coming through from manufacture into Decathlon distribution facility just outside Lyon.
2. They now intend to despatch to the whole of Europe, including UK from Lyon.
3. Stock will be limited so it will be first come, first served.
4. All European websites will be updated at the same time and I was told it will be this week.

My suggestion would be that if you are lucky enough to secure one on the Decathlon site I would just select pick up from local store. If you are trying to get it delivered to your house you are just building in another level of logistics that can go wrong.

Good luck!

Andyd68

May 7, 2020
Birmingham
My understanding as of this morning:-
1. Stock is coming through from manufacture into Decathlon distribution facility just outside Lyon.
2. They now intend to despatch to the whole of Europe, including UK from Lyon.
3. Stock will be limited so it will be first come, first served.
4. All European websites will be updated at the same time and I was told it will be this week.

My suggestion would be that if you are lucky enough to secure one on the Decathlon site I would just select pick up from local store. If you are trying to get it delivered to your house you are just building in another level of logistics that can go wrong.

Good luck!
That’s more positive news ?. I will have to get home delivery because only three stores have click and collect this week (unless I am missing something) due to safe measures not being in place due to COVID-19(more stores coming online next week). Fingers crossed ?

Timmoh

May 18, 2020
Wales
That’s more positive news ?. I will have to get home delivery because only three stores have click and collect this week (unless I am missing something) due to safe measures not being in place due to COVID-19(more stores coming online next week). Fingers crossed ?
Bloody hell! This is like the national lottery, only with worse odds and more stress ??......

MPJ

Nov 28, 2019
Chiltern Hills, UK
Just to be clear on point 2, They will now not be shipping stock to the UK to be sold from here. They will keep all Stilus bikes in Lyon and then ship them by truck (I guess once/twice a week) into the UK distribution warehouse (Northampton) as they are sold/ordered. UK Decathlon will not be carrying any unsold stock.

Timmoh

May 18, 2020
Wales
Just to be clear on point 2, They will now not be shipping stock to the UK to be sold from here. They will keep all Stilus bikes in Lyon and then ship them by truck (I guess once/twice a week) into the UK distribution warehouse (Northampton) as they are sold/ordered. UK Decathlon will not be carrying any unsold stock.
Wow, that's a bit nasty. So much for Brexit.....
Great info though and clears up/makes sense of a number of previous conversations I had with some stores earlier.
Cheers......

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles