Review 2020 Decathalon Stilus Review

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent
I’m sure there will be lovers and haters so here it goes:-

27F2D0FF-6110-4F19-8F93-2CD317604E72.jpeg

Got fed up of people saying “what bike is that” as Decathlon decided not to brand the Stilus for some reason and secondly, all of my mates kept calling it “The Tesla”, so decided that maybe that’s what it should be called ;-)

C1CEE712-8A10-4F42-BCE6-31CAD48D41F5.jpeg

Kme

May 4, 2020
Wirral
My understanding as of this morning:-
1. Stock is coming through from manufacture into Decathlon distribution facility just outside Lyon.
2. They now intend to despatch to the whole of Europe, including UK from Lyon.
3. Stock will be limited so it will be first come, first served.
4. All European websites will be updated at the same time and I was told it will be this week.

My suggestion would be that if you are lucky enough to secure one on the Decathlon site I would just select pick up from local store. If you are trying to get it delivered to your house you are just building in another level of logistics that can go wrong.

Good luck!
Goddamn this is frustrating! I noticed that they FINALLY had stock in on the website (1 SINGLE XL?! and lots of medium apparently) so tried to buy the XL but 'reached the daily limit' so left it in my basket to try again later at 11pm. Just went back to check and the XL is now gone :/ I assume somebody was able to choose pick up from one of the THREE stores (ALL IN LONDON?!) available to choose from.

I've been looking for alternatives but there JUST AREN'T ANY at this price so I'm stuck playing the Stilus lottery! I'm beginning to feel like it's a giant e-flavoured carrot! ?

The wait continues...

Andyd68

May 7, 2020
Birmingham
Goddamn this is frustrating! I noticed that they FINALLY had stock in on the website (1 SINGLE XL?! and lots of medium apparently) so tried to buy the XL but 'reached the daily limit' so left it in my basket to try again later at 11pm. Just went back to check and the XL is now gone :/ I assume somebody was able to choose pick up from one of the THREE stores (ALL IN LONDON?!) available to choose from.

I've been looking for alternatives but there JUST AREN'T ANY at this price so I'm stuck playing the Stilus lottery! I'm beginning to feel like it's a giant e-flavoured carrot! ?

The wait continues...
I feel your pain in same boat only M in stock at the moment and I need a Large. Never found it the difficult to spend near on three grand ?

Kme

May 4, 2020
Wirral
I feel your pain in same boat only M in stock at the moment and I need a Large. Never found it the difficult to spend near on three grand ?
I know, TAKE MY MONEY ALREADY! ? I'm HOPING this is just the start of plenty of new stock coming in once they start seeing them selling out immediately as soon as they become available.

Timmoh

May 18, 2020
Wales
I’m sure there will be lovers and haters so here it goes:-

View attachment 32631

Got fed up of people saying “what bike is that” as Decathlon decided not to brand the Stilus for some reason and secondly, all of my mates kept calling it “The Tesla”, so decided that maybe that’s what it should be called ;-)

View attachment 32632
Nice one!
In the case of buying a Stilus, I actually think TESLA stands for;
T hose. E mpty. S tock. L evels. A gain
??

Andyd68

May 7, 2020
Birmingham
I know, TAKE MY MONEY ALREADY! ? I'm HOPING this is just the start of plenty of new stock coming in once they start seeing them selling out immediately as soon as they become available.
XL came in stock then out of stock so don’t know how they managed to order it. If I try it says delivery slots all used up for today. Can only hope a large comes in stock at 10:59 ready for the 11pm new slots lol ?

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent
It does look very similar and the geometry is the same!

This is the Italian bike the Decathlon one is based on:

1591205835623.png

Don't get your hopes up though, it's never been in stock since I first started looking at the Stilus. I think they sold all their frames to Decathlon ;-)

Timmoh

May 18, 2020
Wales
It does look very similar and the geometry is the same!

This is the Italian bike the Decathlon one is based on:

View attachment 32705

Don't get your hopes up though, it's never been in stock since I first started looking at the Stilus. I think they sold all their frames to Decathlon ;-)
Checked their site a few days ago and they say they are taking deposits for an e, pected July delivery. Trouble is they equate to £3700 with the exchange rate.
Oh well........

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent
Wow, it's a grand more than the UK Decathlon price! Although to be fair, if you go for the Sempione Race which was the one I pictured, it does come with the 625w Bosch Powertube battery which is a big chunk of that money and a better rear shock with lockout...

Timmoh

May 18, 2020
Wales
Wow, it's a grand more than the UK Decathlon price! Although to be fair, if you go for the Sempione Race which was the one I pictured, it does come with the 625w Bosch Powertube battery which is a big chunk of that money and a better rear shock with lockout...
Good point, well noticed. Thinking about it, I'd be happy to run the Stilus on 4 xAA and filling the shock with gorilla glue before every hill..... if only I could buy one ??.

Intermtb

Jan 5, 2020
USA
25.66kg with 472g pedals
Thank you.
Mine is motobecane (for US market), similar to stilus but with external battery, it is 49.5 lbs or 22.5 kg with pedal and coil shock, 29er wheels. yes 29er fit well in the frame.
makes sense, the internal battery requires beefier frame to hold the battery. when I bought mine, the internal version was not available.
I like the new internal version, has room for water bottle and looks cleaner too.

Capture2.PNG

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent
Interesting about the 29er setup. The frame decathlon uses in Europe comes from Lombardo where they do a 29er version, a 27.5, and a 29er front and 27.5 rear version, all in the same frame :)

Intermtb

Jan 5, 2020
USA
Yeah I like 29er, my previous bike was evil the following 29er. the ebike I bought came with 27.5 plus x2.8 tires, I rode it like 4 times, did not really like it, then I put my 29er wheel on the bike, clearance still good. I enjoyed mine so much, I have put in 1300 miles since mid January.
Glad you enjoy yours too Phil, great bike.

Timmoh

May 18, 2020
Wales
"When" being the operative word :ROFLMAO: I'm sure it will all be worth the wait! also thanks for the bike review helped a lot!
Any luck yet?
The M is on and off the site loads but I have not seen any other ones come up at all (or when they do, they disappear from your basket magically before payment.........

MPJ

Nov 28, 2019
Chiltern Hills, UK
Thank you.
Mine is motobecane (for US market), similar to stilus but with external battery, it is 49.5 lbs or 22.5 kg with pedal and coil shock, 29er wheels. yes 29er fit well in the frame.
makes sense, the internal battery requires beefier frame to hold the battery. when I bought mine, the internal version was not available.
I like the new internal version, has room for water bottle and looks cleaner too.

View attachment 32732
...and of course you have the all important extra 5mph over us! ?

Theboyjamin

Jun 3, 2020
Wigan
Any luck yet?
The M is on and off the site loads but I have not seen any other ones come up at all (or when they do, they disappear from your basket magically before payment.........
No luck yet :( exact same is happening to me! this is madness haha

Andyd68

May 7, 2020
Birmingham
Any luck yet?
I have seen XL come in and out but never a L though. Trouble is I think people in London can order theirs at any time where I have to wait for an available slot at 11pm. Not holding out much hope at the moment but there are worst things happening in the world.

Kme

May 4, 2020
Wirral
I have seen XL come in and out but never a L though. Trouble is I think people in London can order theirs at any time where I have to wait for an available slot at 11pm. Not holding out much hope at the moment but there are worst things happening in the world.
I'm seriously considering the 8hr 500mile round trip to pick up in store, it's not like I'm doing anything else right now! ?

Timmoh

May 18, 2020
Wales
Tell me about it.
I was worried about Covid, then I went for a ride and had a surprise heart attack 7 weeks ago, ended up on a ward (twice) in our local Hospital.........proper bummer.
The reason for the bike is purely to take the strain off my ticker (and the bank account ?). Though the constant checking of stock hasn't helped the stress levels......

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent
When I was waiting to get one, I was checking pickup and delivery options and was going to go with whichever came up first (I literately was clicking delivery...no large delivery slots left...back....click and collect....no stock....back....delivery....no large delivery slots available....back....

Must have been at least 50 to 150 times I reckon, mainly in the evening from 11pm to 2 am and got lucky at 12:23am but it didn't feel like they just opened up all the available slots then, rather that it seemed like I randomly got 'accepted' at the time I happened to click on home delivery and a slot opened up.

Hard to tell exactly I guess how the system works but when you see the size you want in stock, just hammer the system until you get lucky :p

Timmoh

May 18, 2020
Wales
When I was waiting to get one, I was checking pickup and delivery options and was going to go with whichever came up first (I literately was clicking delivery...no large delivery slots left...back....click and collect....no stock....back....delivery....no large delivery slots available....back....

Must have been at least 50 to 150 times I reckon, mainly in the evening from 11pm to 2 am and got lucky at 12:23am but it didn't feel like they just opened up all the available slots then, rather that it seemed like I randomly got 'accepted' at the time I happened to click on home delivery and a slot opened up.

Hard to tell exactly I guess how the system works but when you see the size you want in stock, just hammer the system until you get lucky :p
That's interesting, can I ask, did you put it in basket at an earlier point (where it stayed) in the day and then wait till 11pm as the site msg says, or did it come into stock at 11pm. I ask as I put one in my basket yesterday morning and kept trying from that point, then it suddenly disappeared about 3 mins later, never to reappear again.
Cheers......

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles